Status
Not open for further replies.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I am sure that most people on this forum are aware of the 1% below invoice deal that is offered by Tread Lightly but if not I will summarize it.

Basically, if you donate $100 to tread lightly....they will send you a pack of tire discounts and most importantly will enroll you in the Chrysler Affiliates program which allows you to purchase 2 cars under the 1% below invoice program.

I bought my 2014 Rubicon using the Tread Lightly program as well as when I placed the order for my new JLUR. It works well, removes any negotiating with sales people and tends to improve the buying process overall.....well worth the $100 donation (which is to an awesome cause....so win/win). As a bonus....I love the befuddled look on the salesman's face as he walks the certificate to the sales manager to see if it is real. :)

All that said.....talk to your dealer before obtaining your Chrysler affiliates Control number. The number is time sensitive and if you are ordering a late production (like we did with Mojito! Green)...it may actually expire before your Jeep is processed. Tread Lightly gives you 2 control numbers for the donation, so if you make a mistake, you have an extra.

We made this mistake but our dealer said that they would honor the price if for some reason Chrysler backed out on the deal. Either way....I have a spare number if needed.

Hope this helps,

Doc
Sponsored

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
So you think this is a better discount then you get when just negotiating? Isn’t the forum dealership offers 5% below the invoice?

Thanks just not sure I understand the discount structure

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So you think this is a better discount then you get when just negotiating? Isn’t the forum dealership offers 5% below the invoice?

Well this depends on your dealer and your negotiating skills. Not all dealers will discount 5% below invoice, especially on current inventory that is in high demand. The Tread Lightly program should guarantee 1% below invoice without having to haggle with the sales manager.

Obviously negotiate the best deal possible and consider all costs involved including doc fees, travel expenses, financing, trade in value, etc.

Those dealers offering 5% below invoice on a new JL are most likely hoping to make additional profit by selling dealer add ons, extended warranties, etc.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC

As far as I know the 5% offer on the forum is located at a dealership offer is in a state far away from me....so that does not fly.

I think that the 1% below invoice is a very fair deal....in particular that I have minimal effort applied to getting it. Could you negotiate as similar deal, yeah probably but it would take multiple visits to multiple dealers. Most dealers won't negotiate on Wranglers...let alone a new model coming out. It's just the way they are.

For me there are three major reasons that this deal works well....

1) For me....Time is money and projects not getting done. I find no joy in bartering with car dealers....so if there is no fun in it, I might as well be meeting my responsibilities and bringing home the bacon.

2) In rural Iowa, the next nearest Jeep dealership is 25 miles in any direction. I like spending money that helps the local economy and if I have a warranty issue....they will be more likely to take care of me (and maybe ignore any mods that may affect said warranty). Relationship with the dealer is somewhat important to me. Since we make Jeep products....they let me take a peek in different models for measurements and such too.

3) As mentioned before....tread lightly is a good program. It makes that $100 check easy to write.

Doc

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

The best part of the Tread Lightly discount or a dealer like K**ns (offering 5% below on ordered JL's only) is that there is no need to worry about going back and forth with price. But if you go in not armed with the knowledge you may pay more. It's not like they are going to tell you all of your better options. If it's sitting on the lot and you want it, because they ARE going to sell it, they got you right where they want you. "Forewarned is forearmed"

Sponsored

HRP

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon & 2018 JLUR
So what is the difference a 1% below invoice and a 5% off msrp....say a $50,000 msrp price for example. How do the #'s work.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I am sure that most people on this forum are aware of the 1% below invoice deal that is offered by Tread Lightly but if not I will summarize it.

Basically, if you donate $100 to tread lightly....they will send you a pack of tire discounts and most importantly will enroll you in the Chrysler Affiliates program which allows you to purchase 2 cars under the 1% below invoice program.

I bought my 2014 Rubicon using the Tread Lightly program as well as when I placed the order for my new JLUR. It works well, removes any negotiating with sales people and tends to improve the buying process overall.....well worth the $100 donation (which is to an awesome cause....so win/win). As a bonus....I love the befuddled look on the salesman's face as he walks the certificate to the sales manager to see if it is real. :)

All that said.....talk to your dealer before obtaining your Chrysler affiliates Control number. The number is time sensitive and if you are ordering a late production (like we did with Mojito! Green)...it may actually expire before your Jeep is processed. Tread Lightly gives you 2 control numbers for the donation, so if you make a mistake, you have an extra.

We made this mistake but our dealer said that they would honor the price if for some reason Chrysler backed out on the deal. Either way....I have a spare number if needed.

Hope this helps,

Doc
I would add/claify that you get two control numbers per YEAR.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Isn’t the forum dealership offers 5% below the invoice?

Those dealers offering 5% below invoice on a new JL are most likely hoping to make additional profit by selling dealer add ons, extended warranties, etc.
The "infamous" dealer offing 5% below invoice, does then add back on a $600 fee.

Why does everyone forget to mention that fee? ;)

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The "infamous" dealer offing 5% below invoice, does then add back on a $600 fee.

Why does everyone forget to mention that fee? ;)
Probably because my hometown dealer wants their $350 doc fee no matter if you buy MSRP, invoice, or below. Other local dealers have been as high as $499. Koons isn't out of line.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe, Endeavor, Tundra
So what is the difference a 1% below invoice and a 5% off msrp....say a $50,000 msrp price for example. How do the #'s work.
The discounts are 5% under invoice, not MSRP. The 5% under invoice, seems to vary between 11% and 13% off MSRP, depending on the build. So, 5% off MSRP would be $47,500, or roughly a $2,500 discount and the 5% under invoice discount in a 50k build seem to be between $5,000 and 6,500. As some said you have then add the $699 or whatever dealer fees your dealer charges. In Texas they range between $150 and $300 but Texas dealers in big cities are notorious for adding in "dealer packages" such as window tinting, nitrogen in tires, floormats, clear coat protectant, and other crap totaling between $300 and $2,000. Of course these fees are all completely negotiable and complete gimmicks. I always tell the dealer they added the crap and they can figure it into the price compared to dealers without the add ons. Otherwise, they added it and they can take it out of their profits. The internet guy in Houston at River Oaks Jeep will discount without that crap if you are in the TL program. I don't know their exact pricing on the JL as I am waiting for the Scrambler.
I routinely purchase vehicles for work and use the multiple bid system at several dealers, only dealing with internet managers. I typically know the best price going (something as simple as a cars.com search in a 250 mile area will give you the lowest going price). I then shoot that number to multiple dealers to get the best price. I do add the caveat that I am sending the price to multiple dealers and taking the price Ill say Ill pay or lowest price. I've found the best deals at the end of the month or quarter so the dealer can reach incentives on volume numbers. Doing everything on the internet saves hours of back and forth in the dealer. Make sure you have a purchase order in hand before going to the dealer to complete the deal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HRP

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon & 2018 JLUR
The discounts are 5% under invoice, not MSRP. The 5% under invoice, seems to vary between 11% and 13% off MSRP, depending on the build.
11/13%.....seems like a lot off the price....just saying.....So for a $100 joining fee, you can save $5,500.....??

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Basic question here: How do you know what the invoice price is? The MSRP is what you see on the window sticker, right? Then where do you find the invoice price? Does the dealer tell you what it is?

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
As a basic rule of thumb for the 1% below invoice deal....when you are said and done (after delivery fees, taxes and license have been added)....in the end, the total bill (1% invoice discount including taxes etc) ends up being about the price listed on the window sticker. At least that is how it adds up in Iowa.

Basic question here: How do you know what the invoice price is? The MSRP is what you see on the window sticker, right? Then where do you find the invoice price? Does the dealer tell you what it is?
My dealer showed me....but you can also just look it up on the internet. Edmunds probably has it somewhere.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Has anyone compared prices with Costco? Just curious

Doc

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The MSRP and invoice prices are listed here on this site. Take a look at the current order guide.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.