Sponsored

3rd Break Light Options

Nixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully a 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to see if there are any other options for a 3rd break light relocation kit and i'm not seeing much.

1. Mopar one (Rough Country has one thats basically the same) - looks like it has to be disassembled to get your spare off.
2. Rugged Ridge / Amazon generic light ring behind the tire - not DOT approved so may be an issue depending on local enforcement.

Thats all i can find, what am i missing?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
1. Mopar one (Rough Country has one thats basically the same) - looks like it has to be disassembled to get your spare off.
A tad overstated. It really is no bigger deal to pull the spare in general then to pull the spare if you have the CHSML Relocation kit installed.

With the relocate kit in the mix, you you need to remove two small torx bolts and unplug the 3rd brake light. Not a big deal.. To me hoisting the spare back up there is the chore... but I'm an ole friggin man.. Removal of 2 small torx bolts and unplugging a connector is no big deal...

I have attached the install instructions for the Mopar CHMSL Relocation Kit in case you want to take a look. Install is very easy for most anyone.

Here is a pic of my 3rd brake light. Since this pic was taken, I have placed two lugs in those vacant shiney holes..
To do this you need 2 -Dorman 610-329 (M14-1.50) Wheel Studs and 4 washers and of course 2 lug nuts. 8-)
Oh, chiitt ...... now I have two more lug nuts to remove if I use the spare... oh my.............

lll.jpg

ll.JPG

Attachments

OP
OP
Nixx

Nixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully a 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
snip:

A tad overstated. It really is no bigger deal to pull the spare in general then to pull the spare if you have the CHSML Relocation kit installed.
Thats good to know, I really like the look of the light ring behind the wheel so maybe I'll do the CHSML kit and splice the ring in. I'm mostly surprised there are not more options. Watching one of the SEMA videos just now I did notice that AEV looked to have a fuel carrier behind the spare so maybe that will have some options.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Nixx

If you opt for the light ring, be sure you do not buy the pricey one... there is one that looks like the pricey one but costs way less.

It is very easy to splice in the light ring wire into the 3rd brake light harness.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited: