Sponsored

Running in 4 Hi in the rain

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
There is a section of road, about 2 miles worth, on my way home, that is like ice in the rain. For the past 12 years I've used 4hi in my Dodge 2500 Diesel, hundreds of times. Sometimes i forgot to take it out making my first turn, but the front tires grabbing reminded me. I have never had an issue, or damage. I continue to use 4hi on slippery rlads, because that was what it was designed for. I even test drove a 2018 JL in the rain, and they advised putting it in 4hi.
Sponsored

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
There is a section of road, about 2 miles worth, on my way home, that is like ice in the rain. For the past 12 years I've used 4hi in my Dodge 2500 Diesel, hundreds of times. Sometimes i forgot to take it out making my first turn, but the front tires grabbing reminded me. I have never had an issue, or damage. I continue to use 4hi on slippery rlads, because that was what it was designed for. I even test drove a 2018 JL in the rain, and they advised putting it in 4hi.
You are correct and that’s what it’s for for conditions just like that. They call it hydroplaning! I do believe in 4-wheel drive it’s a lot harder to do.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
You are correct and that’s what it’s for for conditions just like that. They call it hydroplaning! I do believe in 4-wheel drive it’s a lot harder to do.
Hydroplaning has nothing to do with how many wheels are having power sent to them. Simply about a layer of water getting under the tires (and treads) and causing them to "rise" above the asphalt.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydroplaning has nothing to do with how many wheels are having power sent to them. Simply about a layer of water getting under the tires (and treads) and causing them to "rise" above the asphalt.
Let me reiterate, if your any of your wheels are losing traction and you’re lucky enough to have afour-wheel-drive at least you have a better opportunity to sub stain control versus a 2 wheel drive. When your hydroplaning it doesn’t always mean it’s happening with four wheels. That was my point of being in 4-wheel drive. Hope this clears up anything about hydroplaning and control of a 2-wheel vs a 4-wheel.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Ask a simple question and the a$$hats come out of the woodwork..
Just for the record we've had 5 Wranglers, and not one has done well in the Rain...Fact! Regardless of driving abilities.....just slow down, and if necessary, use the 4 wheel drive system......

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Yep; been there, done that. Once it starts, you're just along for the ride.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Let me reiterate, if your any of your wheels are losing traction and you’re lucky enough to have afour-wheel-drive at least you have a better opportunity to sub stain control versus a 2 wheel drive. When your hydroplaning it doesn’t always mean it’s happening with four wheels. That was my point of being in 4-wheel drive. Hope this clears up anything about hydroplaning and control of a 2-wheel vs a 4-wheel.
Respectfully I disagree. Hydroplaning has nothing to do with it.

"Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can scatter. Water pressure in the front of the wheel pushes water under the tire, and the tire is then separated from the road surface by a thin film of water and loses traction. The result is loss of steering, braking and power control."

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just for the record we've had 5 Wranglers, and not one has done well in the Rain...Fact! Regardless of driving abilities.....just slow down, and if necessary, use the 4 wheel drive system......
Agree! Safety is first priority, always..:)

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
^^ THIS! ^^

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
We could be arguing semantics all night. To me, this means "loose and slippery" not "loose or slippery"
A comma does not suggest additive. It's a list separator.
6th grade grammar

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I would never use 4H on pavement in the rain. Snow or ice only or offroad. I have never once had an instance of needing 4wd in the rain in any of the states I've lived in. Hell, I did Clear Lake trail outside Silverton, CO in the rain in 2wd.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I would never use 4H on pavement in the rain. Snow or ice only or offroad.
I agree, however, I wouldn't say never, but I surly have not yet.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm not one to usually post crap but this is crap. If you or your wife cannot drive in the rain then stay home. I don't care what kind of differential you have. I'm so sick of people and them wanting everyone to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE !!!
Really, grow up