Death Wobble / Bump Steer / Steering Issues / Drifting - RESOLVED

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I know there are a few different thoughts on the death wobble matter, but I will throw my 2 cents worth in. The steering stabilizer is not the cause of death wobble, therefore it is not the cure for death wobble. A new, stronger stabilizer will just mask the problem until it wears out.
Looks like different things can cause the death wobble. This post showed it was a bad steering stabilizer for that particular JL - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-4#post-417788
Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear the OP got his steering issue "straightened" out, and maybe it's just me, but I don't think it is ever a good idea to be running a lifted Jeep over 75 MPH. Too many bad drivers out there.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Sorry bro but yr obviously new to this if you think your stablizer fixed your death wobble. It only
Masked it through brut force...

You likely need a degree or 2 of caster...

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like different things can cause the death wobble. This post showed it was a bad steering stabilizer for that particular JL - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-4#post-417788
That post doesn't show that it was a bad stabilizer that CAUSED the death wobble. The stabilizer was bad, so it did not mask the issue. The issue causing the wobble is something else.
Death wobble is so violent on the front end, that having it one time can cause parts to wear out fast.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That post doesn't show that it was a bad stabilizer that CAUSED the death wobble. The stabilizer was bad, so it did not mask the issue. The issue causing the wobble is something else.
Death wobble is so violent on the front end, that having it one time can cause parts to wear out fast.
@Redrockjk is reporting the trackbar is being updated with with stiffer bushings? Mopar website only lists AA part #.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-5

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Joe, from Joe's Jeep Jungle has provided me with additional details below about my steering fix. Hopefully this assists many of you in correcting your steering issues. I'm looking forward to reading future posts about other JL's with the SteerSmarts trackbar and Falcon 2.2 stabilizer. I don't think you'll fully appreciate my initial post until you have driven a lifted JL with this trackbar and stabilizer setup.

Mike

There was 1” of deflection in your trackbar before we replaced it. It was not loose and we torque checked it before we loosened it. It was still torqued to the factory specifications of 110 ft-lbs for a JL trackbar. So after the Mopar 2” lift and 8k miles, there was no change in trackbar bolt torque. There was zero movement in the bolts....all of the deflection was the bushings and the tube itself. Yes that’s right, the JL trackbar isn’t solid bar, it’s thin tubing.....big mistake by FCA.

Your stabilizer was experiencing cavitation after the drop in ambient temperature (giant air bubble or dead spot in it). Is this a factory defect or a result of the lift, I don’t know....

My belief is that the root cause was a bad/defective trackbar which in turn caused failure of the stabilizer. It wasn’t until they were both replaced that the issue was resolved.

I’ve done at least a half dozen of these lifted JLs where the SteerSmarts trackbar alone delivers the steering feel you have now. The trackbar wasn’t available until mid-August. Your steering is stiffer with the Falcon 2.2 and I agree it is all much better than stock now. Both with respect to handling and road feel.

Feel free to share....

Best regards,
Joe

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Joe, from Joe's Jeep Jungle has provided me with additional details below about my steering fix. Hopefully this assists many of you in correcting your steering issues. I'm looking forward to reading future posts about other JL's with the SteerSmarts trackbar and Falcon 2.2 stabilizer. I don't think you'll fully appreciate my initial post until you have driven a lifted JL with this trackbar and stabilizer setup.

Mike

There was 1” of deflection in your trackbar before we replaced it. It was not loose and we torque checked it before we loosened it. It was still torqued to the factory specifications of 110 ft-lbs for a JL trackbar. So after the Mopar 2” lift and 8k miles, there was no change in trackbar bolt torque. There was zero movement in the bolts....all of the deflection was the bushings and the tube itself. Yes that’s right, the JL trackbar isn’t solid bar, it’s thin tubing.....big mistake by FCA.

Your stabilizer was experiencing cavitation after the drop in ambient temperature (giant air bubble or dead spot in it). Is this a factory defect or a result of the lift, I don’t know....

My belief is that the root cause was a bad/defective trackbar which in turn caused failure of the stabilizer. It wasn’t until they were both replaced that the issue was resolved.

I’ve done at least a half dozen of these lifted JLs where the SteerSmarts trackbar alone delivers the steering feel you have now. The trackbar wasn’t available until mid-August. Your steering is stiffer with the Falcon 2.2 and I agree it is all much better than stock now. Both with respect to handling and road feel.

Feel free to share....

Best regards,
Joe
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting that info from Joe. It is excellent info and very educational. Some questions...

1. I understand the bolts weren't loose in the track bar, but was the deflection and/or bushings causing the overall track bar to be loose?

2. According to this article from Extreme Terrain below, a bad (or poorly designed) track bar (and/or bushings in the track bar) can cause drifting and/or death wobble. Can you ask Joe if this *could* cause loose steering? Loose meaning you can turn the steering wheel 1 to 4+ inches before the tires turn. If the track bar could cause loose steering that could explain things for other JL (non-lifted and/or lifted) steering issues. Most are leaning towards the steering box causing the loose steering, but who knows, maybe a better track bar can compensate or *is* the issue. This article also states "If you feel like your Wrangler is “drifting” while going down the road “straight” it’s a good idea to check out the track bar." in the 2nd paragraph in the "What Does a Track Bar Do?" section. https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-track-bar-explained.html

FYI: I found out today that there is a heftier Mopar trackbar (I don't remember if it is adjustable or not) for JKs that came out sometime (time frame unknown) after the JK was introduced back in 2006/2007. I wonder if Mopar will come out with the same for the JL eventually.

Last edited:

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
I can totally get on board with the track bar deflection causing the death wobble issue. And a new or stiffer stabilizer damper can definitely make the steering feel tighter as it is basically supporting the steering linkage against any bumps or sway. The point I was trying to drive home is that the stabilizer itself can not be the cause.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Mike

Feel free to share....

Best regards,
Joe
The way I read that, unless I'm mistaken, is that they didn't loosen the track bar bolts before they put your lift on. If that's the case then that's very bad in itself and could cause problems, I'd think. Hopefully, it's just the wording and they did, indeed, loosen and retighten when they did the lift.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Here's the wobble on my 18 Sahara. 7300 miles and bone stock. Was this what you guys experienced?

This is not deathwobble. If it was, you'd be screaming, would have slammed on the brakes, and the rig would have been completely uncontrollable at that speed.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
To the new guys, this is what deathwobble is......if it happened at highway speeds, you'd literally need new underwear.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is not deathwobble. If it was, you'd be screaming, would have slammed on the brakes, and the rig would have been completely uncontrollable at that speed.
TheJoyceIsYours labeled his YouTube video "shudder" not death wobble (which is an accurate description). Did the original poster experience shudder or death wobble? The thread title says death wobble, so it is a good clarification question.
Sponsored