Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if it is the inside door release handle on mine. I have the uconnect system set to unlock all doors when I open my drivers door, however it recently stopped doing that. Just about the same time the error message started. I also noticed that my stop start system worked when my doors were off.
Sponsored

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo, It turns out that 2 of my pins were bent in my door connection. They straightened them and everything is fine now. I feel like an idiot.

@STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Soooo, It turns out that 2 of my pins were bent in my door connection. They straightened them and everything is fine now. I feel like an idiot.

@STL J-Hawk
Interesting....they checked my wire harness and said it looked fine. I was told my issue was a faulty door latch. I will check the pins myself tonight.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
@Jeepney18

Go to the fuse box (power distribution center) next to the main battery and take the cap off. Now, press down firmly on every fuse and relay in there. You will find fuses and relays there that are not seated properly.
Sorry to drag up an older post, BUT...

For whatever reason, more than half of the fuses in my PDB were NOT seated properly when I checked.
I wasn't having an issue, I just wanted to take a look and see...
Not sure how anything was working the way they were seated. It's not a bad idea to take a look in there and see what you find. I pushed on all of the fuses/relays individually and many, many of them were crooked or not fully seated.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry to drag up an older post, BUT...

For whatever reason, more than half of the fuses in my PDB were NOT seated properly when I checked.
I wasn't having an issue, I just wanted to take a look and see...
Not sure how anything was working the way they were seated. It's not a bad idea to take a look in there and see what you find. I pushed on all of the fuses/relays individually and many, many of them were crooked or not fully seated.
@rohdawg

Good that you took the time to check!

A stitch in times saves nine as one of my X wives would say.. Ho, Ho, Ho..

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeepney18 my ESS was in fault and displayed these messages

The first pic show ESS not ready due to battery charging and as you can see the voltage displayed was running 14+ volts and after running tests with a GR8 tester the dealaer found the main battery bad

A0D3D9DA-5D7A-4C10-AC5D-B297661CA6A9.jpeg
FABADBFE-D7D9-41CB-B842-C41A2746C4C3.jpeg

Here is my current voltage while idle, I thought this was odd but dealer advised this is a normal for a charged battery and the alternator only charges when needed

DE0079A0-BFBE-48FD-8ABA-CBA9597A475C.jpeg

And here is a vid f me rolling down the road and as you can see the voltage ramps up to ver 14 when slowing down and then once stopped it drops back down to the 12.6-12.8 range but if it sits for several days not started the voltage initially starts off in the 13.5 range and drops back down after some driving

In regard to your question on a trickle charger I purchased a Deltran Tender Plus and have used it a few times when my JL stays parked for several days, @Rhinebeck01 is the one who suggested I put my JL on a tender when it stays parked for days at a time, I also installed the quick connect so it a real simple hookup and solid connection over the clips.

I’m still amazed that my voltage floats from 12.6 to over 14+ but the Service folks told me it’s not supposed to show the 14+ all the time, a tech told me normally the voltage will be in the 12.7-13.5 range

E2397713-669C-448F-9C51-C4BFFECC8CFA.jpeg

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I still do not understand all this, My JL has sat many times for over 10 days with out any battery issues and start stop works with out any issues. I feel no one should need to use a tender to let a jeep sit a few days.
When I stopped in at the dealer to have them look at something under the hood after I had it serviced and the new battery installed the tech that looked at the item I was concerned about saw that I had a tender quick disconnect installed and ask if I ran a tender on it often and I answered to him if I leave it parked for 3-4 days I just hook it up and he said that doing that was pretty smart as using a tender can and has increased battery life on most vehicles

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
20181013_165116.jpg
What is this battery protection mode? Stop start isn't working anymore.
Did you ever get this resolved?

Mine had the same message and it was in the shop for 17 days until FCA engineers had them do a re-learn procedure on the Jeep. Now all is well.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I still do not understand all this, My JL has sat many times for over 10 days with out any battery issues and start stop works with out any issues. I feel no one should need to use a tender to let a jeep sit a few days.
I agree with your premise, and you probably don't need a battery tender in the warm Florida climate. Colder climates will affect battery performance. Another consideration is that some of our Jeeps have larger alternators and higher amp batteries (Rubicons and those that opted for the AUX switch option) which will charge batteries more effectively.

My experience has been that factory batteries are of generally low quality and last maybe 3 or 4 years while a quality aftermarket battery lasts maybe twice that time.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Actually heat is more of an issue that causes batteries to fail than cold, I to thought cold was the top cause but once we moved to south Texas and I started replacing batteries every 3 years I started asking questions and doing dome research and that’s when I found out about heat is a top killer for batteries

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Actually heat is more of an issue that causes batteries to fail than cold, I to thought cold was the top cause but once we moved to south Texas and I started replacing batteries every 3 years I started asking questions and doing dome research and that’s when I found out about heat is a top killer for batteries
I wasn't suggesting batteries have a longer life in the heat, just that in warmer climates they can sit longer without being plugged in to a tender and still be able to start the motor.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
No warning messages. ESS doesn't engage after about 8 months of vehicle ownership. I'm a light driver, but not so light that I feel it should affect ESS. I've never had battery issues with my other vehicles. I have a 24 x 7 dash cam that when in parking mode, but it would turn off if battery voltage drops below a 12V + threshold.

I checked fuses: fine, installed and energized a trickle charger, problem went away. Still have service call this week because maybe something's defective. I'd be upset to know that to save energy (read fuel) using ESS I have to expend energy (read: electric) to charge the rig on a regular basis. That seems self defeating to me.

Then again....problem may be something else that trickle charger is able to overcome the threshold of, that wouldn't be needed once repaired.

We'll see. Will report back.
Sponsored