Sponsored

Inside the windshield LED's?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I came across this recently and I was wondering two things, #1 is this available? #2 how well would it work?

My thought is if it was tight against the glass (with some type of rubber gasket) it would work reasonably well but I am curious on other people's thoughts.
Screenshot_20181021-115950.png
Sponsored

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 GMC Jimmy, 1986 Chevy Silverado, 2014 Ram Sport 4x4, Future JL
Not available, just a one-off job for that Nacho concept. I don't think you'll see a widely available aftermarket solution for liability reasons. If you lost a mount, and it falls onto your dash/steering wheel while driving, that could be bad. Likewise, if you get into an accident and your head makes impact with it, that could be ugly too. Though if one were good with plastic and padding to make it safe, it would be perfectly safe.

But as far as the concept is concerned (now that the risks have been explained), it is a good location because you don't get the wind noise, and in your face looks. I know someone who has an inside mount on his F-250 and it works very well, and is tightly sealed so there is no glare. It can get a little warm, but then again it is a 54" RDS he has.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
i just want the a pillar lights....
Pillars are nice, but i find overheads to be much better because they dont have such a bad glare on the hood. Something to consider no since everything is expensive.

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Pillars are nice, but i find overheads to be much better because they dont have such a bad glare on the hood. Something to consider no since everything is expensive.
True..but I turn mine out a bit. Use them for side views more than anything.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
True..but I turn mine out a bit. Use them for side views more than anything.
Please excuse my poor grammar. I cant seem to use a phone with, or without, some sort of auto-correct features.

Side view isnt so bad. I’ve always ran rock lights tucked away under the vehicle just as a courtesy to other rigs on night runs. I think pillar and higher mounted lights are probably a lot more useful though.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
One thing that I noticed when I put the first lights on the safari rack on my XJ was that when they were turned on, they lit up the hood and glass so much that visibility was actually *decreased*. The lights needed to be placed further back so that the roof of the XJ would act as a bottom "shade" to keep the light from hitting the windshield and hood or a portion needed to be added to the bottom of the lights to keep the light from hitting the windshield and the hood.

So, this sort of design *could* work, but it needs to be sealed correctly so that no light escapes on the glass and the light needs to be recessed enough so that no light hits the hood.
Sponsored