Sponsored

JLUR on 1 Tons/40s/RK 3.5" X-Factor/PSC finally in the garage

AZjeeperJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo
Vehicle Showcase
Back in February, I traded the old tried and true JK for a shiny new JL. I took it up some moderate trails that first week and I was pretty thrilled. It performed like a champ. I really couldn't have been happier... that was until my buddy Billy Bob Ray came to visit from Seligman on February 29th.

I showed him my new pride and JLoy first thing, grinning ear to ear. Billy Bob Ray looked at me through narrow eyes and clenched teeth and threw his hat to the ground. Then he yelled so loudly, two neighbors came outside to see what the problem was.

"WHAT IS THIS! A JEEP FOR ANTS! HOW CAN WE BE EXPECTED TO GO OVER REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG ROCKS... IF OUR TIRES ARE ONLY KINDA SORTA BIG! THE JEEPS GOTTA BE... AT LEAST THREE TIMES BIGGER THAN THIS" Billy Bob Ray bellowed while spitting through his teeth.

I thought about it for a second... but when I looked into Billy Bob Ray's tired bloodshot eyes, I saw passion and conviction that just could not be ignored. There was only one choice. We got three cans of Copenhagen, some bottles of coors and some graph paper and got to planning on the hood of the jeep in the driveway. Boy did we plan hard.

By the time the cops pulled next to the driveway to arrest Billy Bob Ray for public intoxication/disorderly conduct/urinating in public (thanks to those friendly neighbors), we had a plan. We shared our detailed build plan with the responding officers, spitballed some new ideas and got invited to their police units charity poker game Friday. Then they told us to carry on just as we were... and good luck on the project.

When we woke up the next morning, the build plan was either lost or stolen. Billy Bob Ray interrogated the four surrounding neighbors and leaned pretty hard into two of them but we couldn't get any information to help recover the plans.

Anyway... we just decided to do this instead:
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor lift
(Upgrade to long arm when available)
Nitto Trail Grapplers 40x13.5x17
KMC XD231Beadlocks
King 2.5 adjustable shocks
Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
Dynatrac XD60 front axle
Adams Driveshafts
Upgraded brakes
Poison Spyder front bruiser bumper
Poison Spyder bruiser bumper skid
Poison Spyder rear bruiser bumper
Poison Spyder frame mount tire carrier
Rigid cubes in front and rear bumper
Warn Zeon 12 winch
Switch-Pro 9100
ARB twin air compressor
Cobra CB kit

IMG_20180404_092612~2.jpg

IMG_20180426_164403~3.jpg
Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Very nice. Thing is a beast.

What was the reasoning with staying with cable instead of switching to dyneema?

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZjeeperJL

AZjeeperJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice. Thing is a beast.

What was the reasoning with staying with cable instead of switching to dyneema?
Thank you! I gotta tell you... that's a great question and I was pretty torn on it. It was a coin flip. It seems like everyone is going synthetic now for weight savings, safety during failure, easy trail repair and ease of dragging the line out. It's probably a better product.

I stayed with the cable mainly because I live in AZ and synthetic failure due to the heat/sun/rocks was still in the back of my mind. I figured I bought the winch to save me or someone else from trouble, so I chose the line I guessed was more likely to pull when I needed it to in my circumstances.

OP
OP
AZjeeperJL

AZjeeperJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
nice buildout! You get good use out of that backup camera haha. Have you re-geared?
Thanks Han! Yeah, glad the camera is still functional in line after moving it. I didn't re-gear but I put in new axles with 5.38s so it moves fine.

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I gotta tell you... that's a great question and I was pretty torn on it. It was a coin flip. It seems like everyone is going synthetic now for weight savings, safety during failure, easy trail repair and ease of dragging the line out. It's probably a better product.

I stayed with the cable mainly because I live in AZ and synthetic failure due to the heat/sun/rocks was still in the back of my mind. I figured I bought the winch to save me or someone else from trouble, so I chose the line I guessed was more likely to pull when I needed it to in my circumstances.
Its sounds like you weighed the options on the two, but i really do think you would be happier with the dyneema in the long run.

Dyneema is better in every aspect imo.

I had cable before switching to dyneema. The first time i used it on the rocks, it frayed a bit, went right through my leather glove and sliced my hand open pretty good. Switched to dyneema shortly after.

I have had it on my JKU the last 4 years. Used it in water, timber, covered in sand and over rocks. Its a much safer product, and believe it or not, is a much stronger product as well.

Plus, it comes in cool colors as well:rock:

No matter what you decide, your jeep is a beast and you did the build right. Looks forward to your future trail reports and pictures.

Thanks for sharing:like:

Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its sounds like you weighed the options on the two, but i really do think you would be happier with the dyneema in the long run.

Dyneema is better in every aspect imo.

I had cable before switching to dyneema. The first time i used it on the rocks, it frayed a bit, went right through my leather glove and sliced my hand open pretty good. Switched to dyneema shortly after.

I have had it on my JKU the last 4 years. Used it in water, timber, covered in sand and over rocks. Its a much safer product, and believe it or not, is a much stronger product as well.

Plus, it comes in cool colors as well:rock:

No matter what you decide, your jeep is a beast and you did the build right. Looks forward to your future trail reports and pictures.

Thanks for sharing:like:
I forgot to add, to keep sun su, dirt, etc off the rope i put a simple winch cover on my winch and it protects everything. So no need to worry about the sun and debris destroying the rope.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z

This is exactly why I still prefer steel. It needs less maintenance esp when its not used frequently. It's more likely to be good when I need it and I have less to worry about. The weight savings isnt going to make or break it for me.

As long as you follow best practices and safety I don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@AZjeeperJL Can you share some insight on the Spyder tire carrier.. I see you have the backup cam & a license plate relocate. Is that part of that carrier or did that require additional parts?

Your rig makes me reconsider the Bruiser setup over the Crawler setup! Seems silly to toss my factory fog LEDs and replace with cubes but love the look with the recessed winch mount. Didn't realize you could do the classic roller fair lead with that bumper. I'll need to find out of my old Warn xd9000i with steel cable that I pulled off my last Jeep will fit that bumper as well now...
Sponsored