Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
Update, I checked my frame number (didn’t have to remove the step Sliders!) and my frame is outside the parameters so it isn’t affected. The crappy dealership only has to remove me from the recall list now. I may just delay this for a future date anyway. Not like I plan on selling anytime soon.

Steve
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
A two door wouldn't work well for us and the two kids and our German Shepherd. But maybe the JK 4 door. I really hate this though. Why can't FCA just get things right? Waste of 3 1/2 months.
If the 2-door is not big enough , and you insist on a 4-door :

jeep big build.jpg

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Boy that would be a tough call for me too. Honestly the only thing that changed my mind was adjusting the steering box myself. It didn’t fix it completely, maybe 80+ percent
After I did it and went for a ride with the wife we talked about the problem for a little while and, not sure how to put it in words, but she mentioned something else not regarding the Jeep and we drove for the next two hours without me saying one word about the steering. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.It was nice not having to curse every couple of miles and just relax and drive. So the hour I spent tightening my ball joints and adjusting my steering box made my Jeep a keeper. I thought about buying Rusty’s track bar reinforcement and letting it ride. I honestly don’t know if the welds would pass of fail judging by a cell phone photo or a inexperienced mechanic at their dealer.
At least I know what I now have, It wasn’t perfect when I brought it home, but I did what I could to get it close to it as possible, Everything was minor cosmetic work except for the tailgate rattle from the 35” tire and that is not a issue anymore thanks to my tire support
At one point I felt like telling Jeep, here’s the keys back, give me my money back and keep everything I put on it ONLY under one condition, you give it to one of FCA`s exutivies kids or wife’s to drive. I don’t want anyone to get hurt but maybe that’s what it would take to finally get the steering fix. That FCA exutive having to listen to them bitch everyday about how it drives or even refusing to drive it. I welcome any of them to drive my Jeep with the steering box at the factory setting and then driving it after after I adjust the steering box. Any takers FCA?

6CF45A03-919B-4890-92F1-8839D8B62CB8.jpeg

F09BF453-999F-495E-80E4-5EF01A8FAA5F.jpeg

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So, I finally got to inspect the replacement JLUR yesterday afternoon. The welds looked considerably better than my current one but still not that great in several areas. I believe the welds are "good" enough to pass though.

However, the steering is another story. I test drove it about 10 miles and the wandering and dead zone is worse than the current Jeep. I'm just really surprised that my first build date was 2-14-18 and the new replacement build date is mid-to-late September and shows zero improvement for the steering and it actually feels worse. These steering boxes are complete junk imo.

I'm really on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to accept the replacement and may just turn in my current JLUR for reimbursement.

On a related note, the replacement sat with an apparent dead battery for nearly two weeks and the battery was replaced. Not sure why it was dead in the first place. Not reassured much by simply not knowing either way.

Also, the dash main gauge control panel, where the A/C and other controls are located, seems to have been pulled out and not properly snapped back in. That gauge control panel has some scratches on it too. The front fender is also scratched. A few pics attached. Kind of a bummer that the brand new replacement has issues, scratches, and an unknown answer for the dead battery before even taking delivery.

At least the track bar bracket weld seems decent enough.

Not trying to be picky. But you would think that, with as much hassle and headache this has all been over the past 3 months, they would at least attempt to make sure the replacement is in great shape upon delivery.

20181019_173704.jpg

20181019_172537.jpg

20181019_173308.jpg

20181019_172720.jpg

20181019_172151.jpg

20181019_171345.jpg

20181019_171319.jpg

20181019_171327.jpg

20181019_180834.jpg
Looks like your old friend “slag” is back.

Is that surface rust on the pitman arm already? No welds on that so can’t be slag.

Are those scratches on the center dash? Maybe from prying the center panel off? I wonder if maybe the UConnect was the problem causing your battery to drain so it was replaced as some others have reported. Just a theory. Any way FCA or your dealer can tell you if any repairs were made after it left the factory? Surely there would be a paper trail. Maybe it left the factory this way and never pried off.

Regarding the steering, maybe it’s as simple as adjusting the lash adjustment screw. I suspect Jeep is having these set loose so not to lock up.

Tell them you want a new fender.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Boy that would be a tough call for me too. Honestly the only thing that changed my mind was adjusting the steering box myself. It didn’t fix it completely, maybe 80+ percent
After I did it and went for a ride with the wife we talked about the problem for a little while and, not sure how to put it in words, but she mentioned something else not regarding the Jeep and we drove for the next two hours without me saying one word about the steering. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.It was nice not having to curse every couple of miles and just relax and drive. So the hour I spent tightening my ball joints and adjusting my steering box made my Jeep a keeper. I thought about buying Rusty’s track bar reinforcement and letting it ride. I honestly don’t know if the welds would pass of fail judging by a cell phone photo or a inexperienced mechanic at their dealer.
At least I know what I now have, It wasn’t perfect when I brought it home, but I did what I could to get it close to it as possible, Everything was minor cosmetic work except for the tailgate rattle from the 35” tire and that is not a issue anymore thanks to my tire support
At one point I felt like telling Jeep, here’s the keys back, give me my money back and keep everything I put on it ONLY under one condition, you give it to one of FCA`s exutivies kids or wife’s to drive. I don’t want anyone to get hurt but maybe that’s what it would take to finally get the steering fix. That FCA exutive having to listen to them bitch everyday about how it drives or even refusing to drive it. I welcome any of them to drive my Jeep with the steering box at the factory setting and then driving it after after I adjust the steering box. Any takers FCA?

6CF45A03-919B-4890-92F1-8839D8B62CB8.jpeg

F09BF453-999F-495E-80E4-5EF01A8FAA5F.jpeg
All good points. I would attempt to adjust the steering box if I took ownership of the Jeep. But I don't want to bust anything, bind the steering, or strip out the adjustment bolts. I know the dealership will not touch it.

I'm still checking out my other vehicle options. But I have till Monday to decide. I'd like to see what my FCA rep and the replacement rep says with the replacement delivery issues.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like your old friend “slag” is back.

Is that surface rust on the pitman arm already? No welds on that so can’t be slag.

Are those scratches on the center dash? Maybe from prying the center panel off? I wonder if maybe the UConnect was the problem causing your battery to drain so it was replaced as some others have reported. Just a theory. Any way FCA or your dealer can tell you if any repairs were made after it left the factory? Surely there would be a paper trail. Maybe it left the factory this way and never pried off.

Regarding the steering, maybe it’s as simple as adjusting the lash adjustment screw. I suspect Jeep is having these set loose so not to lock up.

Tell them you want a new fender.
Yep, rust on the pitman arm. Rust in several places on the frame too. Not bad though. I have a few cans of high quality rust spray. I'd just hit those areas with a little light sandpaper and coat really well... not that anyone should have to do this to a brand new vehicle with 17 miles on it. :-/

It is scratches on the dash gauge panel. I can see clearly where they put a tool under it to pry it loose. I thought maybe it was pulled back off at the factory because something wasn't plugged in all the way, and maybe just not snapped back into place. But the scratches make it seem clumsy to me, like someone pried it off not having the right tools or knowing what they were doing.

I've received no answers as to why the battery died. Just that a new one was put on. I pushed all the fuses down. But there are jumper cable scratches in the terminal cords where they obviously tried to jump it. I don't think I'll get a clear answer on that one unfortunately.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
No problem. I should have been more clear. Sorry for the confusion

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Knock on wood zero steering issues on mine - tracks straight with little to no effort. However here's what I find strange - the date stamp on my frame is 217 so meaning Julian date of 8/5 (thanks way back previous poster), then on the door VIN sticker at the bottom right the MDH read 8/7 so thus far makes perfect sense, then in the top left corner for Date of Manufacture it reads 09-18. Then on some paper work (the build sheet?) and the window sticker (to the right of the VIN) it says 9/05 which I take it came off the assembly line on September 5, 2018. What was that one month delay??

No recall luckily (?) but if IIRC the date range would include mine, but not the frame stamp of 217...what accounts for that 1 month period when tons of Jeeps are made every hour?

A page back someone posted their frame # 100 (April), then the VIN sticker - both MDH and manufacture date are all April.

Curious mind has me perplexed .:facepalm:

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
So, I finally got to inspect the replacement JLUR yesterday afternoon. reimbursement.
Reject it is my vote. Once I saw that center dash and moreover the fender scratched I would not accept it at all. And that's before realizing the steering is bad.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
@NCJeepn73 ... Fender and center dash are both replaceable. Don't worry about those items ... simply make it a condition of the sale (in writing) that they will be replaced or repaired if you're comfortable with that. Remember, if you turn it down, they'll have to fix those items before anyone else will buy it.

You're probably not going to get perfect welds ... go look at the JK models and that may help you feel better about how they look on the JL you're contemplating. Then the final hurtle is the steering. Again, get a commitment (in writing if possible) that they will work the "fix your steering steps" that @jeremyjeep has been posting. Take the list along.

If you're still on the fence, turn the discussion around. Tell them: "these are the things you need to commit to performing in order for me to be comfortable buying the Jeep. Or, do you want to return my money, let me go on my way, and sell it to someone else?" That makes them responsible for deciding ... if they're not committed, you probably should consider not taking the Jeep anyway.

As usual, my advise is worth what you paid for it ... good luck ... we're rooting for you to be satisfied.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Honestly why can’t you just find something off the lot so you can drive, inspect, and decide for yourself if you want it?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So, I finally got to inspect the replacement JLUR yesterday afternoon. The welds looked considerably better than my current one but still not that great in several areas. I believe the welds are "good" enough to pass though.

However, the steering is another story. I test drove it about 10 miles and the wandering and dead zone is worse than the current Jeep. I'm just really surprised that my first build date was 2-14-18 and the new replacement build date is mid-to-late September and shows zero improvement for the steering and it actually feels worse. These steering boxes are complete junk imo.

I'm really on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to accept the replacement and may just turn in my current JLUR for reimbursement.

On a related note, the replacement sat with an apparent dead battery for nearly two weeks and the battery was replaced. Not sure why it was dead in the first place. Not reassured much by simply not knowing either way.

Also, the dash main gauge control panel, where the A/C and other controls are located, seems to have been pulled out and not properly snapped back in. That gauge control panel has some scratches on it too. The front fender is also scratched. A few pics attached. Kind of a bummer that the brand new replacement has issues, scratches, and an unknown answer for the dead battery before even taking delivery.

At least the track bar bracket weld seems decent enough.

Not trying to be picky. But you would think that, with as much hassle and headache this has all been over the past 3 months, they would at least attempt to make sure the replacement is in great shape upon delivery.

20181019_173704.jpg

20181019_172537.jpg

20181019_173308.jpg

20181019_172720.jpg

20181019_172151.jpg

20181019_171345.jpg

20181019_171319.jpg

20181019_171327.jpg

20181019_180834.jpg
Wow, sorry to hear that…

I would pass on it.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
Mainly because I really feel like FCA is going to have to address the steering in these Jeeps sooner than later. I just don't see how the horrible steering for thousands upon thousands of JL owners can be ignored for much longer. Maybe it's just wishful thinking?

I test drove a Toyota TRD Off Road today as I need to have a vehicle if I just totally give up on this year Wrangler. I'm not sold on the TRD either. I would likely order a TRD Pro with the Fox suspension, etc. but holy moly the interiors of the Toyotas just look like Family Dollar junk. Clunky knobs, crappy, antiquated displays, and so on.

I wish I had a definitive answer. :(
Seriously how can you assume they are going to take care of it when you know what they are doing about the welds?
Sponsored