NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Electrical connection to the door?

Where?

OK... Just went out to my JL to check... Don't *see* any wiring, but there *might* be two wires running inside the nylon strap that connects the door to the body of the vehicle, but it's difficult o tell from just feeling it since there are multiple layers in the nylon strap.

Leaving the door open and putting the start button in the ON position, the light on the dash definitely lights up to tell me that there is a door open (and even seems like it know *which* door). So, I figured that there were two choices -- a magnetic switch in the door that activated upon being close to the door frame OR some sort of mechanical switch in the latch itself on the door. Leaving the door all the way open and the vehicle set so that it was constantly beeping at me because the door was open, I took a small steel rod (about the diameter of a screwdriver shaft) and placed it in the door latch so as the trigger it to latch around it like it normally latches around the metal portion on the body of the vehicle. The beeping quit and the vehicle thought that the door was closed (even though it was still open).

So, it appears that it is the latch mechanism in the door itself that indicates whether the door is "closed". As such, it is possible to fool the mechanism into thinking that the door is closed, even though it is not.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I guess even the Sport with manual windows/locks still has a wiring harness to the door. Thanks for providing an answer.
Yeah, it's apparently hidden in the nylon strap.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Okay thanks. I assume it has a detachable connector the same as Sport S and above.
It probably is detachable, but I'm not sure where... Maybe underneath the plastic panel at the outboard foot area? To take the door off, you probably need to detach that strap from either that area or from the door itself. I'm thinking that it looks like it would detach more readily from the footwell area. I haven't ever had a need to remove my doors, so I haven't investigated this in detail. It's probably *somewhere* in that 600 page PDF manual on the JL though... :(

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
presence[/B] of weight on the driver's seat as indication that is need not go back into the Park gear(?) Is this true?

3) How does the rig know the door's been detached rather that is ajar? To point, when you disconnect the electrical plug to the door, might that be the indicator, and if so, what might be happening in the wires to indicate that the doors is off its hinges and located apart from the rig? Is it say, a break in the door latch wires by disconnecting the door's wire harness that signals this?

Thanks.
My question didn't pertain to the Auto Park feature, as I have a M/T.
I am, however, having an error with my Stop/Start that I have narrowed down to some sort of door issue. The error message doesn't occur when I have the drivers door disconnected, but the Stop/Start works fine.

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@NavyVet1959; yes sir...you are correct. The connector and strap both unhook in the footwell area. The panel that the strap goes behind comes off when you pull straight back towards the rear of the Jeep. And you are right again...if you want to read more and get the full instructions, pages 38-44 in the owner’s manual show you how to remove the front and rear doors. It also gives you the torque spec for the hinge bolts here.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Joltes; if you have it narrowed that far, the only thing it can be (according to the owner’s manual) is that the Jeep thinks the door is open. I would think that if this was the case, your dome lights would stay on after you closed the door. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that some members have had broken or bent pins in the electrical connection for the doors. Also have you checked the “Start/Stop” menu in the gauge cluster...it will give you some info on what is causing it to not work. (And that list is pretty long in the owner’s manual) Hope you get it fixed!

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Joltes; if you have it narrowed that far, the only thing it can be (according to the owner’s manual) is that the Jeep thinks the door is open. I would think that if this was the case, your dome lights would stay on after you closed the door. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that some members have had broken or bent pins in the electrical connection for the doors. Also have you checked the “Start/Stop” menu in the gauge cluster...it will give you some info on what is causing it to not work. (And that list is pretty long in the owner’s manual) Hope you get it fixed!
It's going to service tomorrow for the issue. The cluster only says it needs service, it won't pinpoint the error. The dome light comes on with the proximity sensor when I open the door from the outside, but doesn't come on when I open it from the inside. Also, the Uconnect is set to unlock all doors upon opening, and that doesn't happen since the error showed up on the cluster, nor does the radio turn off when I open the door.

I checked my door connection, and can not discern any pins being bent or broken. I will update when I find out tomorrow.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1; the way AutoPark works depends on whether the doors are on or off. For more info on AutoPark, check out pages 308-310 of the owner’s manual, but here are some answers for you:

1) If the doors are on, door ajar is a factor, but seat pressure is not. If the doors are off, seat pressure is a factor, but door ajar is not.

2) Whether or not your seatbelt is buckled is ALWAYS a factor. So if the doors are on, the two triggers are door ajar and no seatbelt. If the doors are off, the two triggers are no weight in drivers seat and no seatbelt.

3) Not entirely sure on this one, but yes...I would assume that it detects whether or not the door is plugged in by whether or not it receives a return signal from either the latch or the lock/unlock buttons. I haven’t tried it personally, but I believe if you unplug the door with it still attached and closed, the Jeep treats the situation as if the door is removed and therefore would AutoPark if you had no seatbelt on and no weight on the driver’s seat.

*Edit* I will go ahead and assume that because the base Sport comes with manual locks that the return signal would have to come from the latch...
Thanks...found this on my manual's page 207. I've read it, I just wasn't' sure if seat weight also played a role with doors connected, or more importantly, what constitutes a connected door by the rig's computer's standards.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unplug the door. Measure the resistance across the wires with the door open and with the latch closed. It likely will be a very low resistance when latched and a very high resistance when open. Post your results. Should be able to go from there to determine a way to fool the car into thinking the door is closed even when it is open.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
P
No. In PA, you can't drive with anything other the "OE Type" doors. So full or half metal doors. It's a stupid PennDOT vehicle code that all of a sudden is seeing enforcement. Around a $200 fine.[/QUO
No. In PA, you can't drive with anything other the "OE Type" doors. So full or half metal doors. It's a stupid PennDOT vehicle code that all of a sudden is seeing enforcement. Around a $200 fine.
PA...the American version of North Korea.

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is embarrassing, seeing as I've read about it being a problem, but apparently my pins were bent in the door plug.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
This is embarrassing, seeing as I've read about it being a problem, but apparently my pins were bent in the door plug.
Never admit that! sheesh! Have you learned nothing on here? :)

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Actually FCA is tracking/listening/monitoring all of our Jeeps so that's how the door knows it's open... FCA lets the Jeep know.
You know you just exploded a few tin foil hat heads, right?
Sponsored