Sponsored

To Lift or Not to Lift that is the question....(Newbie here)

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of of things with lifts and bigger tires...It depends on the model of wrangler and how you use it.

A rubicon with 4:10 axle gears and a lower range transfer case will handle 35's without a problem without being under powered or drastic loss of MPG. Rubicon has more fender clearance and needs less lift than the rest. 35's will fit stock especially if all you do is commuting.

A Sport has 3:45 gears, and a higher geared transfer case. 35's or larger are going to make it a dog with MPG and stress the axles a bit more if you do hard core trail wheeling.

A Sport S could have 3:73 gears and be in between the 2 above.

My 2.0L Sport seems to have enough power that it doesn't feel powerless with 33x12's and I get 26 MPG and not broke in yet. It looks much better, but if I wanted bigger tires than 33's I would have gone with a Rubicon for the gearing and stronger axles and not lift it and mess with the ride.

You need better and longer shocks with a lift also. High lifts have more parts required to adjust alignment, relocate brackets etc, extend brake lines... more involved the higher you go...

For hard wheeling there are some disadvantages to being to high like with steep inclines etc....or highway off ramps.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The $1300 3.5" kit you are referencing...is that Rough Country? Or was it from somewhere else?
Yes it's from Rough County link to RC 3.5 kit
Amazon also carries the same kit for the same price if you prefer to shop with them link to Amazon RC kit

This kit has shocks, springs, adjustable track bar, adjustable lower control arms, drive shaft, and misc hardware. If I opt for something this tall, it will be the kit I buy, though I don't plan on going more than a 2.5 kit because I don't wan't to replace my tires. I'm afraid with the 3.5 kit the stock set may look a bit small.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I feel my JL sits as high as my old lifted TJ and my old lifted Cherokee.
The trails I ride, don't require lift and tires ATM.
Having lifted a few jeeps in my life, I know it is expensive to do it right...budget lifts just to fit big tires to drive around on the road is a huge pet peeve of mine... lower mpg, put a lot of stress on suspension and drive line, just for the look? in the 80s and 90s we called them posers.

If your going to lift it, to fit 35s do it right. Full adjustable control arms to fix the suspension geometry, and a regear so your gears, carriers and transmission don't explode( yes even on the road)

I love the look also, but I am waiting until I can do it properly, I have a few years until I can get back into more extreme off roading, so I am in no rush.
I am not a fan of people who say "if you can afford it", then proceed to put some cheap ass garbage on their 40-60k jeep...if you could afford it, you would have done it right, so stop stroking your EGO.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would double check the shocks not needing replaced. Dealer installed Tuff Country 2" spacers in mine before i purchased. I asked "how do you move the axle 2 inches further from the shock mounts and not require longer shocks? They told me supplier said not required. I read the directions for install which stated OEM need to be replaced. Dealer looked into by contacting RC and they said the instructions have been revised 3 times and still say 2 different things.

RC told them yes you need 2" longer shocks. In addition having bigger and heavier tires getting something better than the OEM shocks will improve control of those bigger tires.
I just reread your post and you mention Tough Country then Rough Country, these are two different makers of lift kits, the RC boost I had installed uses shock extenders, spacers and bumpstops so my shocks and springs have the same travel, the TC appears not to use the extenders so if that’s the case then you would need new shocks

clb616

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes it's from Rough County link to RC 3.5 kit
Amazon also carries the same kit for the same price if you prefer to shop with them link to Amazon RC kit

This kit has shocks, springs, adjustable track bar, adjustable lower control arms, drive shaft, and misc hardware. If I opt for something this tall, it will be the kit I buy, though I don't plan on going more than a 2.5 kit because I don't wan't to replace my tires. I'm afraid with the 3.5 kit the stock set may look a bit small.
I have heard bad things about Rough Country. Does a lift void the warranty? Especially if replacing the drive shaft?

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard bad things about Rough Country. Does a lift void the warranty? Especially if replacing the drive shaft?
I am sure FCA would cry not under warranty if a lift was installed by someone other than them but I trust the guy that put my lift in as he’s been working on Jeeps along time, I had originally asked about getting a more pricier lift/boost but after talking with @TTEChris of Tankcustoms and discussing what I would be doing with my Jeep he said I would be wasting money on components I would never benefit from.

My Jeep is a daily driver and I was just wanting to run larger tires so I could do some light off road wheeling which consists mostly of beach running in south Texas and then some back roads that are not paved but kinda rough, another reason for my lift was I went hurricane Harvey here in Texas and at the time had a low riding vehicle and was stranded so I wanted something that could go thru some deep water if necessary and at the time we had over 30” of water during the storm so I was stuck for several days and could not get home as most roads were closed off but if I had what I am running now I would have been home.

I’m not sure what bad things you have heard about Rough Country but I trust the advice of Chris who put my lift in and said the RC boost that uses existing springs and shocks to maintain the factory ride and also keeps the cost down was a good choice, I was not opposed to getting longer springs or shocks but if it was going to be a waste for what I needed the lift for under the conditions I would be driving I figured I could direct that money towards a new bumper or some other mod that I could benefit from more.

Last edited:

clb616

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am sure FCA would cry not under warranty if a lift was installed by someone other than them but I trust the guy that put my left in as he’s been working on Jeeps along time, I had originally asked about getting a more pricier lift/boost but after talking with @TTEChris of Tankcustoms and discussing what I would be doing with my Jeep he said I would be wasting money on components I would never benefit from.

My Jeep is a daily driver and I was just wanting to run larger tires so I could do some light off road wheeling which consists mostly of beach running in south Texas and then some back roads that are not paved but kinda rough, another reason for my lift was I went hurricane Harvey here in Texas and at the time had a low riding vehicle and was stranded so I wanted something that could go thru some deep water if necessary and at the time we had over 30” of water during the storm so I was stuck for several days and could not get home as most roads were closed off but if I had what I am running now I would have been home.

I’m not sure what bad things you have heard about Rough Country but I trust the advice of Chris who put my lift in and said the RC boost that uses existing springs and shocks to maintain the factory ride and also keeps the cost down was a good choice, I was not opposed to getting longer springs or shocks but if it was going to be a waste for what I needed the lift for under the conditions I would be driving I figured I could direct that money towards a new bumper or some other mod that I could benefit from more.
Thanks so much for the feedback!!!

Rough Country Suspensions

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roughcountry.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1998 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Sales Supervisor
We have never had an issue with warranty on Jeeps but Rough Country does have a warranty guard program just in case you do run into an issue. Here is a link where you can read more on that. https://www.roughcountry.com/warranty-guard/

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I haven't heard anything bad either, though you're bound to hear something bad about every brand from a few people who have had bad experiences. What you want to watch out for are kits/companies which have an overwhelming amount of negative reviews and feedback.

Regarding warranty. Your warranty is protected under federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), which basically states that the vehicle warranty can't be voided unless it is directly affected by the aftermarket/modified part. In other words, Jeep can't/won't say unrelated parts are not covered under warranty because you installed an aftermarket part. For example, if you installed a new set of springs/shocks they can't say a fouled injector isn't covered, since it's not related to the modification. However they could probably void coverage of a ball joint because they could reasonably argue the changed suspension geometry caused it to fail or wear prematurely.
To expand a bit on that, it is also worth noting that they have to be able to reasonably explain how/why the affect part is a result of the modification. They can't just say something like "it's related". For example: Let's say you change your tires, and the lip on the rim cracks. You bought the same size tire, and modified nothing but the tread pattern and/or manufacturer of the tire. Jeep couldn't void coverage of the rim by simply saying "it's not the stock tire, and the new one is attached to the rim, so that must be the issue". They would have to articulate HOW that new tire caused the rim to fail if they're going to deny coverage. Now take that same modification of a simple tire and say you chose a wildly different size that is too wide for your rim. In that case they could, and likely would, deny coverage on the rim. Their reason would be that the modification caused the failure because the tire was too wide for that rim, and as a result caused the failure of the rim.
So long story short the only warranty you're voiding when replacing parts is the parts directly affected by that change. If you buy a kit that carries its own warranty, those new parts are covered by the part manufacturer, and the unrelated parts on the Jeep are covered by your original vehicle warranty. The number of directly affected parts, which aren't covered by the vehicle or part manufacturer, is going to be very small if any.

PS, to add a disclosure. The rim example is just an example. I have no idea if a cracked rim is covered, or if an over width tire could cause it to fail. It was just an easy to visualize and easy to explain example.

Last edited:

Sponsored

clb616

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I haven't heard anything bad either, though you're bound to hear something bad about every brand from a few people who have had bad experiences. What you want to watch out for are kits/companies which have an overwhelming amount of negative reviews and feedback.

Regarding warranty. Your warranty is protected under federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), which basically states that the vehicle warranty can't be voided unless it is directly affected by the aftermarket/modified part. In other words, Jeep can't/won't say unrelated parts are not covered under warranty because you installed an aftermarket part. For example, if you installed a new set of springs/shocks they can't say a fouled injector isn't covered, since it's not related to the modification. However they could probably void coverage of a ball joint because they could reasonably argue the changed suspension geometry caused it to fail or wear prematurely.
To expand a bit on that, it is also worth noting that they have to be able to reasonably explain how/why the affect part is a result of the modification. They can't just say something like "it's related". For example: Let's say you change your tires, and the lip on the rim cracks. You bought the same size tire, and modified nothing but the tread pattern and/or manufacturer of the tire. Jeep couldn't void coverage of the rim by simply saying "it's not the stock tire, and the new one is attached to the rim, so that must be the issue". They would have to articulate HOW that new tire caused the rim to fail if they're going to deny coverage. Now take that same modification of a simple tire and say you chose a wildly different size that is too wide for your rim. In that case they could, and likely would, deny coverage on the rim. Their reason would be that the modification caused the failure because the tire was too wide for that rim, and as a result caused the failure of the rim.
So long story the only warranty you're voiding when replacing parts is the parts directly affected by that change. If you buy a kit that carries its own warranty, those new parts are covered by the part manufacturer, and the unrelated parts on the Jeep are covered by your original vehicle warranty. The number of directly affected parts, which aren't not covered by the vehicle or part manufacturer, is going to be very small if any.

PS, to add a disclosure. The rim example is just an example. I have no idea if a cracked rim is covered, or if an over width tire could cause it to fail. It was just an easy to visualize and easy to explain example.
Thank you so much!!!!! Real clear and helpful explanation!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Talk to your dealer about DEALER INSTALLED LIFT warranty--

If you have an after mkt lift installed and there is a system failure--you are going to have to fight your dealer for ANY WARRANTY COVERAGE!

It doesn't matter what the FED. LAW REQUIREMENTS ARE-- the dealer can/might do NOTHING and YOU are going to have to do all the mail/phone/state inquiry/legal work to fight for your warranty coverage--1 month to 1 yr

You may be able to contact JEEP CARES and get help--but

If you want s lift and CARE about your warranty--have your favorite dealer install the MOPAR LIFT/W invoice/receipts--

If you're not worried about WARRANTY COVERAGE--install an aftermkt lift !

SUP to you

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That is a fair point. While your warranty IS protected, and repairs would ultimately be required to be covered on parts unrelated to modifications, a bad dealership may make you fight for it. It is never a bad idea to make sure you have a good dealership. Heck that applies even if you're going to use them for a completely stock vehicle. Always find a good dealership/service department BEFORE you need them.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Very good/sound advice--winchell

That's the MAIN reason I ONLY DEAL with my local dealer--

I've had 3 separate dealer/warranty fights in CALIFORNIA and trouble like IMMEDIATE installation of 37" tires/lift are just a warranty fight waiting for a time !

Thanx--

JIMBO