PlastiDip What Did I do Wrong?

Mhoroup69

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu Sahara
So I spent a few hours over the weekend plastidipping my jeep emblems with flat black (5 coats) and metalizer (2 coats). They came out awesome on my Black Sahara. It was kind of a pain in the ass, but was happy with the results, until this morning. Took it to the car wash (hand wash) and three or four of the letters peeled off. Anyone else have this experience? What did I do wrong???
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
So I spent a few hours over the weekend plastidipping my jeep emblems with flat black (5 coats) and metalizer (2 coats). They came out awesome on my Black Sahara. It was kind of a pain in the ass, but was happy with the results, until this morning. Took it to the car wash (hand wash) and three or four of the letters peeled off. Anyone else have this experience? What did I do wrong???
Hard to know without physically seeing it, but I gotta guess you rubbed too hard. Plastidip should hold up to washing, but is designed to peel off with sufficient friction.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I've never had it rub off of emblems through a gazillion hand washes.

What are you use to wash your Jeep with?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Mine are fine after only 1 laser wash but time will tell, but tbh I've never had this happen with anything I've plasti-dipped. Maybe the metallizer destroyed some of the plasti-dip? Or was too heavy for it to maintain it's bond to the emblem? Did you make sure to hit all the angles/sides of the emblems? Did you clean it really good before-hand and make sure it was oil free?

OP
OP
Mhoroup69

Mhoroup69

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu Sahara
I chatted with customer service at Plastdip and they said that I needed to wait 7-10 days before washing it to let it fully cure. I washed it after 4 days. So I’ll try again and advise

Sponsored

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
do you have to sand the plastics to have it stick better?
You shouldn't have to sand anything, it should adhere to smooth surfaces well. Probably didn't cure long enough. Let it sit in the sun about a week. Or if you were using GooGone or any bug/tar remover, that may soften it also. WD40 or GooGone both work great to remove it.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I’ve always wondered how people keep emblems dipped. I’ve done all mine and I am super careful washing them and they look ok.

I never use the key holes so I figured I would do them as well but they all peeled within a few days.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I never use the key holes so I figured I would do them as well but they all peeled within a few days.
I was seriously considering this, but I guess I'll hold off.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It looks really good on my black JLU and it’s easy to touch up or redo. That being said, it’s been months since I peeled the door locks off.

I was seriously considering this, but I guess I'll hold off.
Sponsored