Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I was told after my earlier post to get a better shot of my welds

My dealer set an appointment up for me in 3 weeks, in hopes that they will know what to do by that time.

Clean.jpg

Clean close up.jpg
Remember the days when we had high school shop welding... these look worse.
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I was told after my earlier post to get a better shot of my welds

My dealer set an appointment up for me in 3 weeks, in hopes that they will know what to do by that time.

Clean.jpg

Clean close up.jpg
Wtf. Those are horrible

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Build date: 6-18-2018

FCA says I'm not on the list.

Rusty's bracket here I come!

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I’m assuming all the recalls vehicles don't actually have an issue... Is it just an inspection to find out which do and then the fix those?
Yes. The recall is for the Jeep to be inspected. It does not necessarily mean you have bad welds. That will be determined by the inspector I assume.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine looks like this. VIN comes up with 0 recalls. By the markings in the frame i'm guessing someone inspected and marked things on the frame to indicate it had been looked at. Looks like there is a tad more penetration on the bracket lip than the frame side but at least its not a mess. They could have welded it along the bottom side of the frame too........but that would have likely raised cost per frame by a few dollars and overall cost by millions. I'll keep and eye on it and find a good welder in the mean time to re-enforce it if needed.

IMG_4870.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Yours looks fine to me anyway. They arent welded all the way around on purpose & there are differing schools of thought on whether to do that or not. Apparently the designers in the JL's case went with not.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mine looks like this. VIN comes up with 0 recalls. By the markings in the frame i'm guessing someone inspected and marked things on the frame to indicate it had been looked at. Looks like there is a tad more penetration on the bracket lip than the frame side but at least its not a mess. They could have welded it along the bottom side of the frame too........but that would have likely raised cost per frame by a few dollars and overall cost by millions. I'll keep and eye on it and find a good welder in the mean time to re-enforce it if needed.

IMG_4870.PNG
@Cabal09 had a failure even though it also had an inspection mark. Not sure if his vin is part of the recall.

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
I'm making my way through the 25 pages of posts, but haven't found what their fix is yet. Does anyone know? I just took a 4 hour train ride to buy a JLU that turned out to be part of the recall, so I'm now taking the same trip back home empty handed. I'm wondering whether or not I should bother with this particular car or look for one that isn't part of the recall.
My opinion, don't by this product now. This is my first and probably the last Jeep. Mine is on the recall list and I have already had problems with the top, now it's starting to drift all over the road. I know someone is going to jump in and say "never buy a first new production year vehicle" but what year is it? 2018 or 1973. I would understand if the issue was with some new, unproven technology but a weld issue? didn't Ram have a similar issue? My first-year production 2017 Ridgeline has had 0 issues, Jeep 3 and counting.

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
I am on the recall list and set up an inspection at the dealer for today. The dealer was upfront with me that Jeep hasn't given them any direction on this issue and recommended me to call Jeep directly.

I called Jeep and the Recall person was completely unaware of this recall. After I gave him my VIN, explained that the dealer has 0 ideas on how to even inspect this thing. He looked this up after a 10-minute hold he told me I should be able to take it to the dealer for an inspection, I then had to re-explain that I just came back from the dealer who told me to call Jeep as they don't know what to do. He then called the dealer, after a 40-minute hold the dealer now knows how to not only inspect but repair the issue and I'll have to drop it off AGAIN...

At this point, my spider-sense is on high. I"ll drop it off to be inspected but there is no way I'm allowing the dealer to do a weld. If it passes I'll put on the aftermarket bracket, if it fails then I'll see how Jeeps legendary customer service plays out.

I'm new to Jeep and FCA. Is this common for Jeep to be this clueless and have so many issues with a new product? I already had to get part of the soft top replaced because it almost blew off on the highway. Before anyone says "never buy a first-year vehicle" what year is this anyway 2018 or 1973? I would be slightly more understanding if the issue was because of some new unproven technology but missing a weld... WTF.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I called Jeep and the Recall person was completely unaware of this recall. After I gave him my VIN, explained that the dealer has 0 ideas on how to even inspect this thing. He looked this up after a 10-minute hold he told me I should be able to take it to the dealer for an inspection, I then had to re-explain that I just came back from the dealer who told me to call Jeep as they don't know what to do. He then called the dealer, after a 40-minute hold the dealer now knows how to not only inspect but repair the issue and I'll have to drop it off AGAIN...
Sadly the biggest issue isnt that theres a concern but how poorly handled the concern is! I work as a customer service analyst and even though our turn around time isnt stellar as long as were in contact with the customer and have accurate answers most folks are easy to deal with (I say most as some are just a PIA from the get go). I have never if rarely had a good experience with a new car dealership anywhere I've lived, multiple brands and various states - seems they for the most part SUCK when it comes to servicing a vehicle. Very sad indeed.

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
Here is what my welds look like. I'm no CWI but I think one of them is pretty crunchy, one of them looks fine I guess and one looks like it missed the mark entirely.

This one is most concerning to me because it looks like it missed most of the actual piece that is supposed to be welded on.
IMG_4245.JPG

It was difficult to get a good picture of this location but this one looks fairly crunchy. Good? Bad? I have no idea.
IMG_4246.JPG

This one seems mostly fine to me? I'm not sure also. This is immediately opposite this weld ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IMG_4244.JPG

What does everyone here think? My dealership and FCA were clueless and not helpful at all. I escalated a case with FCA and I made a complaint with the NHTSA against my dealership and FCA. We'll see what comes of it, in the meantime I've ordered Rusty's bracket.

Steve

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Here is what my welds look like. I'm no CWI but I think one of them is pretty crunchy, one of them looks fine I guess and one looks like it missed the mark entirely.

This one is most concerning to me because it looks like it missed most of the actual piece that is supposed to be welded on.
IMG_4245.JPG

It was difficult to get a good picture of this location but this one looks fairly crunchy. Good? Bad? I have no idea.
IMG_4246.JPG

This one seems mostly fine to me? I'm not sure also. This is immediately opposite this weld ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IMG_4244.JPG

What does everyone here think? My dealership and FCA were clueless and not helpful at all. I escalated a case with FCA and I made a complaint with the NHTSA against my dealership and FCA. We'll see what comes of it, in the meantime I've ordered Rusty's bracket.

Steve
Are you on the recall list?

For those posting pictures, please indicate whether you are on the recall list.

Your third picture looks suspect. The weld appears a little high. There is a white inspection mark which may indicate the weld was supposed to be rewelded or it passed. No idea how to decipher between white, green or blue inspection marks.

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
Are you on the recall list?

For those posting pictures, please indicate whether you are on the recall list.

Your third picture looks suspect. The weld appears a little high. There is a white inspection mark which may indicate the weld was supposed to be rewelded or it passed. No idea how to decipher between white, green or blue inspection marks.
Yep, I'm on the recall list.

Steve