Sponsored

Metalcloak 3.5 - Rocksport - 38” Patagonia - Mopar beadlock s

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
This is the exact set up I want to do. Do you mind sharing what this cost you? Did you install or have it done at a shop? PM if you would rather it not be public. Just trying to avoid the sticker shock when it happens.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zenk

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is the exact set up I want to do. Do you mind sharing what this cost you? Did you install or have it done at a shop? PM if you would rather it not be public. Just trying to avoid the sticker shock when it happens.
I bought the MetalCloak lift when they had the free shipping sale. Wheels... dealer price matched best deal I found on the net(ebay). Bought the tires (great tire BTW) from ebay. I did the install myself, paid Jeep dealer for alignment and tire mounting/balancing (Road Force). I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but you can PM me and I will get them to you later this eve. Needless to say, it was EXPENSIVE. But I figure I spent alot on the Rubicon, not going to cheap out now.

Last edited:

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Will do. I’m looking for that uncommon combination of aggressive set up of lift and wheels and tires that looks aggressive but doesn’t ride terrible.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
@Zenk , Like you said above, you spent alot on the Rubicon...don't look for the inexpensive tire mounting solution. Look for the one that is going to be solid.

OP
OP
Zenk

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Zenk , Like you said above, you spent alot on the Rubicon...don't look for the inexpensive tire mounting solution. Look for the one that is going to be solid.
Yeah, there aren't many inexpensive "solid" options. Going to run without a spare until something nice is available. Would like the spare to be frame mounted and not tailgate mounted.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Yeah, there aren't many inexpensive "solid" options. Going to run without a spare until something nice is available. Would like the spare to be frame mounted and not tailgate mounted.
After developing a rattle with the mopar setup, I would agree. Although the Evo setup looks sturdy.

Sponsored

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
How do you like the metalcloak lift with their long travel shocks? Did you consider others like ICON and EVO at the time and what made you set on it aside from price?

OP
OP
Zenk

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the metalcloak lift with their long travel shocks? Did you consider others like ICON and EVO at the time and what made you set on it aside from price?
To start with, my JLUR now drives better than stock. Every aspect of the way it drives just seems a little better now. No squeaks or rattles or groans. The most amazing part to me so far is that my fuel economy hasn't changed much at all. If I air up the tires I get better economy than before, but this is because I am crowning the tire on the 8" rim and it would end up with poor tire wear. I am currently running the tires at 27psi, but I believe I will need to drop it a bit more to get proper wear.

As far as why I picked this system.... I wanted a system that included all 8 adjustable control arms and both adjustable track bars. I think the thing that separated MetalCloak from the rest for me was the Duroflex Joints, I really like the self-centering and low maintenance aspect of these... and they are quiet to boot. In addition, the dual rate coils are a plus. Do I sound like a commercial yet? lol.

On the negative side, I'm not a big fan of the gold zinc plating, but it's growing on me. Another negative is the part numbers referenced in the instructions didn't match the part numbers on the boxes that the kit came in, I lost some time during the install waiting on a reply from MetalCloak to verify I had the right stuff. They should update their documentation.

Overall, I am very pleased with my decision to go MetalCloak.

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
To start with, my JLUR now drives better than stock. Every aspect of the way it drives just seems a little better now. No squeaks or rattles or groans. The most amazing part to me so far is that my fuel economy hasn't changed much at all. If I air up the tires I get better economy than before, but this is because I am crowning the tire on the 8" rim and it would end up with poor tire wear. I am currently running the tires at 27psi, but I believe I will need to drop it a bit more to get proper wear.

As far as why I picked this system.... I wanted a system that included all 8 adjustable control arms and both adjustable track bars. I think the thing that separated MetalCloak from the rest for me was the Duroflex Joints, I really like the self-centering and low maintenance aspect of these... and they are quiet to boot. In addition, the dual rate coils are a plus. Do I sound like a commercial yet? lol.

On the negative side, I'm not a big fan of the gold zinc plating, but it's growing on me. Another negative is the part numbers referenced in the instructions didn't match the part numbers on the boxes that the kit came in, I lost some time during the install waiting on a reply from MetalCloak to verify I had the right stuff. They should update their documentation.

Overall, I am very pleased with my decision to go MetalCloak.
This is helpful.. Thanks for sharing your insight on this. I have to make my decision at some point. Your rig looks perfect man.

Few more questions if I may. What is your avg MPG with your 38s and I am also looking at 37s Nitto General Grabbers A/T and KO2s, what sold you on Patagonia? Also, on the topic of torque and MPG, do you feel the need to re-gear or even add a supercharger?

OP
OP
Zenk

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is helpful.. Thanks for sharing your insight on this. I have to make my decision at some point. Your rig looks perfect man.

Few more questions if I may. What is your avg MPG with your 38s and I am also looking at 37s Nitto General Grabbers A/T and KO2s, what sold you on Patagonia? Also, on the topic of torque and MPG, do you feel the need to re-gear or even add a supercharger?
I am getting about 16mpg mixed driving on the 38"s. One of the biggest reasons I went with the Patagonias was weight. My tire wheel combo comes in at 115lbs, which is great for this size tire and bead locks. In addition, the Patagonias are quiet on the street but aggressive off road, you just can't beat this combo.

As far as power/torque is concerned, it really doesn't seem any different. I am running the Tazer JL Lite programmer and was able to set the tire size. This enables the shift points to be correct and with the 8spd auto it runs just fine. I haven't had it off road yet, so haven't seen the need for any gear changes so far.

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Looks fantastic and im glad you went with quality aftermarket products. Metalcloak imo is one of the top suspension manufacturers available.

I makes me cringe when i see someone with a new wrangler or rubicon put some budget boost or cheap lift on their new jeep.

You did it right.

Also, im digging youre m1028.

I have a 1986 m1009 with 26k miles. They are fun vehicles
Sponsored