David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on a rear bumper with spare tire carrier to carry the 38” Patagonias but I had an opportunity to run the Rubicon Trail so I crossed my fingers and ran it with the Patagonia’s on the stock spare tire carrier with Rough Country relocation bracket. The rear was full with the ARB fridge and 4 days worth of camping gear so I couldn’t put the spare inside the Jeep. Luckily I didn’t cause any tailgate damage, not the best idea but I didn’t want to miss out on the Rubicon Trail.

052852F7-8947-4EF5-B34A-98008EA31E5B.jpeg

7D426D13-D423-4EFF-AE5B-A6E400623292.jpeg

75C31ACD-E2C6-4F78-BD71-357F2B82B4CF.jpeg

C5608EC9-2B43-4BBA-AE1B-F887F463C680.jpeg

2949FC16-0D53-4F30-A131-3175738C256B.jpeg
My third brake light is the same as yours but I can mount it as the lug nuts that have the screw holes are too short to thread.

Did you do something to them to get the brake light relocation on your spare?

Thanks,
Sponsored

Mr. V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU (Sting-Gray)
My third brake light is the same as yours but I can mount it as the lug nuts that have the screw holes are too short to thread.

Did you do something to them to get the brake light relocation on your spare?

Thanks,
No, I didn’t do anything special. I just opened the box, put on the special lug nuts and screwed everything on without any problems.

OUTZDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I had plenty of droop but due to all the weight I was carrying (ARB fridge, water, food, tents, and a bunch of other camping and recovery gear) my up travel was lacking. The stock suspension could not handle all of the extra weight, but I only rubbed my inner fenders a handful of times. I had trimmed my inner fenders once I saw how much the rear sagged after being loaded with all my gear, so it would have been worse.
So you are NOT running any lift or mod to the stock suspension and the 38s are fine as long as the rear fender is trimmed (or removed completely)?

I have a RK 2.5” lift coming but it’s still weeks away. In the meanwhile I have new wheels and planned on 37s which I was going to put on Friday but I’m also taking a 10 day road trip to CO in a week and don’t want to have any issues.

Thanks

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So you are NOT running any lift or mod to the stock suspension and the 38s are fine as long as the rear fender is trimmed (or removed completely)?

I have a RK 2.5” lift coming but it’s still weeks away. In the meanwhile I have new wheels and planned on 37s which I was going to put on Friday but I’m also taking a 10 day road trip to CO in a week and don’t want to have any issues.

Thanks
Noooo you cannot fit 37s while off-roading with no lift. You would have to remove the bottom half of the fender flares if you want to run 37s and no lift. It will maybe be ok just driving on the road but would def hit offroading unless you are just doing dirt roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Kevin, I saw you flipped the rear bump stops when you installed the 38's, where you running them horizontal the entire time with 37's? If so was there no rubbing issues? I'm about to get 37's and just curious if I really need to flip them or not. Thanks!
37s they were laying down at 2” bump stop. 38s I went to side profile of 3” bump stop

OUTZDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Noooo you cannot fit 37s while off-roading with no lift. You would have to remove the bottom half of the fender flares if you want to run 37s and no lift. It will maybe be ok just driving on the road but would def hit offroading unless you are just doing dirt roads.
Hey Kevin thanks.

Mr. V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks
I am running a lift kit. I have the same $170 budget lift kit Kevin has from Rough Country with the bump stop flipped. I’m using it until more lift kits hit the market and then I may switch to a full suspension lift kit.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am running a lift kit. I have the same $170 budget lift kit Kevin has from Rough Country with the bump stop flipped. I’m using it until more lift kits hit the market and then I may switch to a full suspension lift kit.
Ya this lift kit is great for 170 but we’re saving for the metal cloak game changer 6 pak mid arm suspension lift. Have you seen those badass 2 way shocks. We also just ordered the metal cloak full armor skid system. It’s a must have on these jeeps.

Mr. V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya this lift kit is great for 170 but we’re saving for the metal cloak game changer 6 pak mid arm suspension lift. Have you seen those badass 2 way shocks. We also just ordered the metal cloak full armor skid system. It’s a must have on these jeeps.
I had the Metal Cloak Game Changer on my 2012 JKUR. It was awesome! I didn’t have the 6-pack shocks though, they talked me out of it, and told me at my experience level I would be better off with their other shocks. I was/am new to Jeeps and didn’t know how to charge the gas in the 6-pack shocks at the time. Now I think I want to get the 6-pack shocks this time around. I’ll wait for your Metal Cloak install video first though Kevin and then buy it after you test it out :)

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Kevin you'll tear those six packs off in a week. We've seen your driving lol.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Kevin, I think that's like closing the barn door once the horse has bolted... ;)
Lmao. No way. It replaces all the standard stuff. This is so I get protection and slide over rocks.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Kevin you'll tear those six packs off in a week. We've seen your driving lol.
They sit 1.5” higher and I can cut the stock shock mounts off to gain some clearance there. They are a stout system. If oem has held up, these will surely hold up

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
Hi Kevin, Love the videos you guys post. I have a 2019 JLU Rubicon on order, already have the Metalcloak 3.5" True Dual-Rate Lift Kit sitting in the 'Parts Room" aka home office. Watched what you have done with your JLU and it seemed like a good lift, so I figured why stop copying you there, lol. Also going with a set of MB wheels and Milestar Patagonia M/T38 /13.50R17 unless you have a report on those rims and tires I do not know about. FYI my JLU is ordered in Billet Silver so not quit a exact copy. What size bump stops are you running front and rear now that you have the Metalcloak lift on. Any advise you have is defiantly appreciated!

Metalcloack delivery.jpg
Sponsored