Sponsored

Strange, new "blemish" on fender. (Photos)

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any idea what this little greenish spot is on my rear fender? It magically appeared last week when I washed it.

I finally got a chance to address it today, and it will not budge at all. I tried washing, scrubbing, clay bar, wax. Everything. It looks like it's under the clear coat, and I think it's getting bigger. My brother, who is mechanically inclined, said it might be some sort of oxidation coming through the paint due to bad paint prep or something. He thinks it will likely get worse.

Any ideas?

I'm really regretting Bright White. First my grill is turning yellow, and now this. But hey, at least my track bar welds look ok, right?

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9199.jpg
Sponsored

Voodoobadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JL
I would think that if it’s a paint defect, then it is covered under the warranty. If normal attempts to clean it using something like Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax is not working, then have the dealer look at it.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
This is crazy. I had what appeared to be a little piece of mud that was kicked up on my fender the other day. The jeep was clean otherwise so I took a wet microfiber towel and gently wiped off and I have a stain that looks exactly like that on my white fender. WTF is going on with the white?

OP
OP
Lithograph

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
This is crazy. I had what appeared to be a little piece of mud that was kicked up on my fender the other day. The jeep was clean otherwise so I took a wet microfiber towel and gently wiped off and I have a stain that looks exactly like that on my white fender. WTF is going on with the white?
In my case, I guess it's possible that I wiped off some mud (or something) that left that "stain", but I honestly don't remember doing it. It's the only spot I can find on the entire Jeep that's suddenly doing this also. I've got one more attempt at a good wax, but I doubt it's going to help. This stain/spot looks like corrosion under the clear coat, but how in the world that's possible on a plastic fender, I have no idea.

I'll be taking mine to a dealer pretty soon to see what my options are. This is something I've never seen from a new vehicle.

OP
OP
Lithograph

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooo...update:

My little spot has turned from a weird green to now it's essentially brown. I sent the photos to my local paint and PDR guy, and going by the photos only (he's traveling so he can't see it in person), he said it could be tree sap.

I thought "Wouldn't that still come off though?", but I'm finding that tree sap will actually stain/damage clear coat, and it doesn't take long. I don't know where I got it from, as I do not park under trees, but this could be what it is. I do remember cleaning off a very, very weird substance from the door (same side as the fender) when I arrived home one day, and maybe that's what it was, and I had just missed it on the fender that particular day.

I'm going to to hit it with some hardcore methods of cleaning/polishing (sans any buffing), and let you know if it improves, with "you" being whomever reads this thread. Maybe I can help others in the future. :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lithograph

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Check it out. It's officially brown now. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll eventually turn to white.

NOTHING cuts it. I've tried everything. Gonna take it in to Jeep, which I can't imagine they're going to know that the Hell it is.

Spots.jpg

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder
Here's mine.

20181009_180704.jpg

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a similar discoloration appear on the grill shortly after purchasing the vehicle. I took it to a trusted body shop and they told me it was under the clear coat. I was holding off on apply the PPF, but the installer convinced me to go ahead with the film assuming it would fade. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to wait and I'm happy to report that it has in fact completely disappeared after a couple months. Hopefully you will both have the same experience.

upload_2018-10-20_22-22-37.png

OP
OP
Lithograph

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to wait and I'm happy to report that it has in fact completely disappeared after a couple months. Hopefully you will both have the same experience.]
Thanks for sharing your own experience. This actually gives me some hope, because the spot on my fender does seem to be fading, albeit slowly. If it goes back to normal, then I'm happy for sure, although I'd still love to know what it is and/or if there's anything I can to prevent future spots.

Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder
I have the same thing on my rear fender. Still there but it stays in garage most of time. Maybe it needs sun instead.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
That might be some sort of fallout. I would try Car Pro IronX on that.

OP
OP
Lithograph

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Epic thread resurrection!

The spot on my fender is juuuuuuuust about faded into oblivion, but not quite. I have to look for it now though, so I'm no longer bothered by it. I'm still clueless as to what it was, but it seems to be going away.

Man, I love the white color on these JL's, but a part of me still thinks I should have gotten Sting Gray. :p

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Epic thread resurrection!

The spot on my fender is juuuuuuuust about faded into oblivion, but not quite. I have to look for it now though, so I'm no longer bothered by it. I'm still clueless as to what it was, but it seems to be going away.

Man, I love the white color on these JL's, but a part of me still thinks I should have gotten Sting Gray. :p
No picture?!
Sponsored