NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
[

Interesting that I saw photos in the newspapers showing huge numbers of unsold Teslas parked on various lots and properties . No comment by Tesla , naturally .

Good to see you made it back from your beer tastings in Ireland and England . You are a worldly beer taster .
Oh, I've been back from Ireland and the UK for a few weeks and have been to Honduras and back since then... Didn't stumble across any good beers there though. Ended up just drinking Heineken the entire time and although better than any of the mass market American beers, it's a pretty boring beer. I'll take a good IPA or stout any day compared to it.
Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1000 miles on my 2.0L Turbo.

Zero CEL.

Zero hiccups.

1000 miles of smiles everytime I step on the gas. No hesitiation from a stop light using the ESS with this BSG system. Take my first hand knowledge for what it is. Also, there is no "Cloth battery shield" anywhere near the 48v battery. Whoever started that fact-free line of bilk does not have a clue what they are talking about. There is a metal ventilated cage surrounding the 48v battery, about 2 inches higher up off the ground than that large gasoline tank. No cloth anywhere near the 48v battery. I believe it was from the same source calling it a "45v" battery. Way back my dealer told me the holdup on my delivery was a wiring harness issue. This info seems to have been correct all along. Let's please stop the BS info and start posting first-hand facts, please.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Oh, I've been back from Ireland and the UK for a few weeks and have been to Honduras and back since then... Didn't stumble across any good beers there though. Ended up just drinking Heineken the entire time and although better than any of the mass market American beers, it's a pretty boring beer. I'll take a good IPA or stout any day compared to it.
Heineken has a lot of preservative chemicals , supposedly for tropical places . I refuse to touch Heineken .

German beer , on the other hand , is brewed under purity laws , and my absolute favorite is Spaten , from Munich .

jeep spaten beer.jpg

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That 30 miles of electric range would be on the road, so, depending upon the type of offroading you do, that could be significantly reduced.

Interestingly, I was driving back from the airport today and on one of the local roads, the right lane was blocked off by a tow truck. I noticed what they were towing -- a Tesla SUV. It still had enough power to position itself on the side of the road as the tow truck was getting ready to load it. I suspect that the person tried to extend their range a bit too much and couldn't make it home. Now, if it had been a hybrid or a regular ICE vehicle, they could have walked the short distance to the gas station at the next intersection and brought back a gallon of gas to get it to the gas station. But nope, it's pure electric, so your only choice is to call a tow truck (or put up some solar cells and wait a couple of days for it to collect enough energy to get you to the next charging station). Or maybe it was designed by Microsoft engineers and the solution was to just close all the windows, exit the vehicle, get back in, and open the windows again? :)

Off topic, but Tesla reported pretty much blowout sales numbers with the Model 3 becoming one of the best selling cars in the USA.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-model-3-becoming-one-113011634.html
As with the Wranglers also filling lots, delivery issues with trucking and train cars have been a big issue getting vehicles out and around the country for awhile now. Tesla last week got a bunch of customers around the country to help out with processing deliveries to new owners because the Tesla stores are so overwhelmed delivering cars at this point. It is reportedly a delivery issue and logistics, not lack of sales that account for these cars stationed in lots. I don't own Tesla stock, but I do own a Model 3. ..2000 miles, no issues. 130mpg-e. I'll take THAT to the bank as gas prices are rising as we speak.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic, but Tesla reported pretty much blowout sales numbers with the Model 3 becoming one of the best selling cars in the USA.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-model-3-becoming-one-113011634.html
As with the Wranglers also filling lots, delivery issues with trucking and train cars have been a big issue getting vehicles out and around the country for awhile now. Tesla last week got a bunch of customers around the country to help out with processing deliveries to new owners because the Tesla stores are so overwhelmed delivering cars at this point. It is reportedly a delivery issue and logistics, not lack of sales that account for these cars stationed in lots. I don't own Tesla stock, but I do own a Model 3. ..2000 miles, no issues. 130mpg-e. I'll take THAT to the bank as gas prices are rising as we speak.
I've run the numbers and for the amount of driving that we do, a PHEV is not cheaper to operate than an ICE and since the Teslas are pure EV and more expensive, that is even more true for them. Even regular hybrids work out to be only marginally cheaper to operate, depending upon how much more a particular manufacturer charges for the hybrid model vs their closest non-hybrid model.

And if you are worried about the cost of gas, you probably shouldn't be driving a Jeep... :)

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I don't own Tesla stock, but I do own a Model 3. ..2000 miles, no issues. 130mpg-e. I'll take THAT to the bank as gas prices are rising as we speak.
Just curious , ( not arguing ) , but the Model 3 was presented as a $35K car . Just curious how much was your Model 3 ? The Wall Street Journal review said the price was higher . The reviewer , Dan Neil , reportedly got some heat from waiting deposit customers about that . And he reportedly shut down his social media account because of the discussion about the price increase which he reported .

JJG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0. ,98 TJ Sport, 16 GMC 3500 Duramax, (2) 64 GTO's , (2) 65 GTO's , 57 GMC 100, 73 Firebird Formula, 63 C-10, 67 C-10, (2) 66 Bonneville Convertibles, 67 Bonneville Convertible.

Zero CEL.

Zero hiccups.

1000 miles of smiles everytime I step on the gas. No hesitiation from a stop light using the ESS with this BSG system. Take my first hand knowledge for what it is. Also, there is no "Cloth battery shield" anywhere near the 48v battery. Whoever started that fact-free line of bilk does not have a clue what they are talking about. There is a metal ventilated cage surrounding the 48v battery, about 2 inches higher up off the ground than that large gasoline tank. No cloth anywhere near the 48v battery. I believe it was from the same source calling it a "45v" battery. Way back my dealer told me the holdup on my delivery was a wiring harness issue. This info seems to have been correct all along. Let's please stop the BS info and start posting first-hand facts, please.
Took this picture of mine this weekend. Looks like a cloth heat shield to me, similar to a product made by Design Engineering.

E683578D-9EF0-47CD-BBF5-18870D7E377B.jpeg

View attachment 95500

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious , ( not arguing ) , but the Model 3 was presented as a $35K car . Just curious how much was your Model 3 ? The Wall Street Journal review said the price was higher . The reviewer , Dan Neil , reportedly got some heat from waiting deposit customers about that . And he reportedly shut down his social media account because of the discussion about the price increase which he reported .
Last I heard, they were saying that the initial models will be the ones with more features and thus higher priced. They need the cash flow.

Or maybe when they said "35", they didn't point out that that was 35 hexadecimal... :)

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them

Zero CEL.

Zero hiccups.

I work at Jeep. Yes they do put a cloth over a battery. It's installed on chassis line 2. I'm not sure what Volt the battery is but it's located in the middle of the Jeep, looks like it would be directly under the backseat or back seat floor board. It's hard to tell exactly because it's just a chassis at this point. Since I work on the engine line and not chassis, I don't know much about this. I do know they exist because I see them installing them every day as I walk right past that station on my way to the engine line. The rumor I heard is they were supposed to keep the batteries from over heating and exploding. That's what was supposedly causing the fires. Doesn't make sense to me, don't know if it's true, but the cover does exist and gets installed on every BSG

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Interesting that I saw photos in the newspapers showing huge numbers of unsold Teslas parked on various lots and properties . No comment by Tesla , naturally .
Actually, Musk tweeted about it himself. They're meeting production numbers now but have hit logistical issues and are behind on getting things shipped out.

Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sorry, but that metal “cloth” only covers what seems to be a single connection point at the front of the battery. 95% of the battery itself is open and only covered by the metal cage armor. I will admit fault in not recognizing the metal cloth over the connection point since I merely glanced in the battery cage and saw only plain ol’ battery and did not look towards the front area. Perhaps they isolated that single small area as a vulnerable part and decided that would be enough. But the vast majority of the battery is uncovered.

As for my Tesla Model 3 Premium Long Range, single motor RWD, it is a fantastic car. $49k. Not $35k base, but the Premium upgrades are good. 130mpg-e. As fast as my 2010 Audi S4.0-60..actually faster off the line which I will get to in a second... 311 mile range EPA, anout 340 mile range in real life (musk got the EPA to under-rate my model so as to not make the more expensive 2-motor Performance version look bad at only 311miles lol)

Driving dynamics are sick. I’ve heard snarky “golf cart” insults on some forums from people who have never taken a ride in a Tesla... let me tell you the feeling is NOT a golf cart. The closest comparison of how my car drives is more like those slot car racers with the trigger gun controllers where you pull the trigger and it simply takes off instantly. Due to its regenerative braking it also slows quickly on its own if you let off the pedal. You quickly learn within a couple of days to modulate the pedal and not even really use the brake pedal up until a final stop action. I can now understand how a single set of brake pads can last 80k miles on these things like some people are reporting. In the big screen menu there are options to make the car behave like a gasoline car (creep, regen braking off, etc) but why bother I say. Handling is as good as a BMW M3 with its low battery center of gravity. There are already numerous youtube vids of the Performance version blowing M3’s off drag strips lol. I put down a $1000 deposit 2 years ago and waited until I got the call in late July that mine was ready. That gave me 2 years to save up on the bright side. Any more info just ask.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’m sorry, but that metal “cloth” only covers what seems to be a single connection point at the front of the battery. 95% of the battery itself is open and only covered by the metal cage armor. I will admit fault in not recognizing the metal cloth over the connection point since I merely glanced in the battery cage and saw only plain ol’ battery and did not look towards the front area. Perhaps they isolated that single small area as a vulnerable part and decided that would be enough. But the vast majority of the battery is uncovered.

The closest comparison of how my car drives is more like those slot car racers with the trigger gun controllers where you pull the trigger and it simply takes off instantly. Any more info just ask.
(a) Very informative description of the cover on front of battery .

(b) Tesla owners have told me about the quick take-off , but I value my Jeep as my only means of transportation . So , if a Tesla is behind me , stopped at a light , I just put on my hazard blinkers and remain stopped until Tesla goes around . I don't want Tesla to accidently crash into my rear , as it did to the stopped fire engine in Utah . As Tesla goes around me , I see the dangerous acceleration . My opinion is that quick dangerous acceleration is a safety menace , including as happened to the back of the stopped fire engine in Utah . That Tesla was driving on automatic driving , but computer said it accelerated faster just before crashing into back of the stopped fire engine . No offense intended to Tesla owners , but stay away from me .

boon4376

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5
(a) Very informative description of the cover on front of battery .

(b) Tesla owners have told me about the quick take-off , but I value my Jeep as my only means of transportation . So , if a Tesla is behind me , stopped at a light , I just put on my hazard blinkers and remain stopped until Tesla goes around . I don't want Tesla to accidently crash into my rear , as it did to the stopped fire engine in Utah . As Tesla goes around me , I see the dangerous acceleration . My opinion is that quick dangerous acceleration is a safety menace , including as happened to the back of the stopped fire engine in Utah . That Tesla was driving on automatic driving , but computer said it accelerated faster just before crashing into back of the stopped fire engine . No offense intended to Tesla owners , but stay away from me .
Because people in Jeeps never crash :cwl:

Maybe I'd stay away from Jeeps on the highway so they don't death wobble into me, same logic. ;)

You're causing more of a dangerous situation for everyone if you really do that idiotic thing when a Tesla is behind you.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Because people in Jeeps never crash :cwl:

Maybe I'd stay away from Jeeps on the highway so they don't death wobble into me, same logic. ;)

You're causing more of a dangerous situation for everyone if you really do that idiotic thing when a Tesla is behind you.
Very good and thoughtful points . Thanks .

I agree that I am an idiot , but I still don't allow Teslas behind me . Nor BMWs either . Their right foot is a little too heavy for my peace of mind . If they stay away from my Jeep , I'll celebrate every time . Unfortunately for me , my town is overloaded with wuss Teslas and BMWs , and everyday I see them roaring around decent drivers .

The best one was the BMW who tried to beat the red light , and smashed into the right signal light pole across the intersection while avoiding the slow white van which was turning left in front of him . I told the police that the white van had the right of way as far as I could determine , and it was the BMW which was reckless . The police had already figured that . Fortunately the white van was not hit , and the BMW driver was saved by his air bag .
Sponsored