Wiring new lights question

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
on the JK, I had to use the supplied wiring harness for the ditch lights and light bar when setting it up.
With the factory aux switch setup, would I just clip the ends at the lights (cut the pigtails off) and run both red to the aux # and both black to ground? I won't need all the wiring they send with the kit, right?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sirryan

Ryan... In general, if you are using a kit harness that has an inline fuse and an on/off switch you would cut away the switch because the # 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 Aux wire is switched via the console Aux switches. You best bet is to keep the inline fuse, even though the Aux connection is already fused.

SO, with that said ... Your red from the light harness attaches to 1,2,3,4 Aux wire and then your black wire attaches to a ground point. That is it. Remember, in Uconnect settings, go to Aux Switches and set-up the Aux switch you plan to use.

Make sure you have a good ground. Most guys here, that had little glitches when they used the Aux connections were related to them having a poor ground. Be sure to clean paint off where you will be grounding to.

Look here to where the finger is pointing for a ground point by the battery:
groundpoint by battery.jpg

Here is a ground point in the passenger foot well:

footground.jpeg

OP
OP

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
right...i was going to just cut the switch off, and wire the 3 wires directly to aux 1 or 2 in the engine bay and use the inline fuse and relay provided....but my hold up is there are three wires to the provided switch and one to the aux. I didn't know how that would work. so i "figured" (i can put lifts on and all kinds of stuff, but anything electrical i turn into a monkey) the factory has a relay and fuses somewhere and if I just cut them off before all of the stuff and wired them right to the aux wire and right to ground

Last edited:

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
... but my hold up is there are three wires to the provided switch and one to the aux. ...
Is that a dual function light you have there? Perhaps if you shared more information about the lights you're using... Do you have a link to the manufacturers installation instructions, or is this an eBay special from China with love?

OP
OP

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
They are rough country light cubes. I think if I just cut em off at the end of the cube, each one, I'd connect the two red to the factory aux line and the two black to ground.

I dont think I need any of the harness they provided.

And I should be ok on the 15amp switch.

15342471774304247053062289820401.jpg

15342472067375985473469287537891.jpg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sirryan

You came here asking questions and got some answers.. 8-) Would be nice if made one final post describing your install. It might benefit some other poor slug get through his install. I myself do not need to hear but again, someone else might benefit.

Glad to hear you got-er done.

OP
OP

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
My bad...i thought I described what I did (or was doing) in my posts above.

The wiring harness supplied with the relay and fuse was not really needed with the new JL setup with the factory aux switches. With the JK, all this was pretty necessary and I just had to connect it through the firewall and use a different switch. That is where I was overthinking it. After realizing there were two wires (pos and neg), it was much easier.

After installing the lights, I just connected the pigtails to the lights themselves ( the circle in the pic) , left enough length to connect it to the aux line (I used aux 3), cut the lines there. I discarded the fuse, relay and switch. There are just two wires from these lines, a red and black. So much simpler now. I connected the two red wires to the aux 3, and the two black to a ground. I can take more pics later.

It was a clean install, once i simplified things. The wiring kit they sent had braided lines, and they tucked up near the top and rear of the engine bay nicely.

light cube relay and wires.jpg

light cube wiring.jpg

OP
OP

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
oh...I did keep the ground terminal that came with the wiring harness. I connected the 2 black wires to that and then to ground.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Just came across this thread and thought I would post my installation video in case it helps someone else. It was tough to find any complete videos on doing this so I thought I would document my process.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
The only other suggestion I could make is check the amperage of the fuse that came with the lights. Make sure the factory fuse on your aux switch is the same amperage as the ones that came with the lights.
Sponsored