Sponsored

First Oil Change: How Many Miles/Oil Preference?

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
One of the many reasons I transitioned to a Wrangler is my desire to learn how to perform routine auto maintenance on my own. A great place to start seems to be performing my first at home oil change. After reading stories on here about dealerships over-filling with 6 quarts instead of 5 it seems like another great reason to do these at home.

I just hit 3,000 miles and am wondering when I should perform the first oil change. Appreciate any tips the veterans can share regarding timing (e.g. every 5k miles) and preferred oil brand for the Wrangler.
Sponsored

hawkgt

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara
With any new engine I like to change the oil earlier than the normal recommended interval, break-in oil as I like to call it, go ahead and crawl under there and get to know your new friend!

hawkgt

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara
Don't worry so much about the brand of oil, most any modern synthetic will be fine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeep4Life0112

I'd say do your first oil change now.... this weekend. 8-) I usually do the first on my Wranger's at 2,500 miles.

I don't like to comment much in oil related threads as such threads, go down hill fast lets say.

I will say that Pennzoil Platinum in either 0w20 and 5w20 is a decent way to go. Mopar warranty is Pennzoil friendly also. As for an oil filter, I use a Mopar MO-349 filter.

Below find some text that I keep in an email to myself that keeps the info I need at oil change handy:

2018 Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar engine

Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number: 68191349AA - (MO-349) 68191349AC (new number) but still MO-349

Mobil 1 Oil Filter: M1C-456A
Purolator Oil filter L36296

Jeep recommends you use SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and
Shell Helix. - 5 quarts oil

24 mm socket for oil filter housing cap (18 ft/lb torque)

13 mm socket for oil drain plug (20 ft/lb torque)

Oil Life Reset:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.
------
Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeep4Life0112

Usually, when I talk first oil change to guys/gals, I usually stress how you can screw up the oil pan plug when you go to put it back in. I tell them to make sure you wipe it clean and to put it back in with your fingers prior to using a wrench..

Go easy, and be sure not to cross thread the oil plug.

After it is in, do not over tighten as you can damage things.

If you have a torque wrench torque to 20 ft/lb. If no torque wrench, snug up good but don't get crazy with it.

For me, for the last say 15 yrs. or so, I have opted to install an Oil Drain Valve. Such a valve replaces the oil pan plug and makes oil change time so much easier.

I will give a link to the Fumoto which is the brand I use.

**DO READ all the caveats in regard to oil change valves and the Wrangler. IF you are climbing boulders and such an oil change valve may not be a good idea.

I have use Fumoto's on everything from aircraft to tractors, to Jeeps to Vettes, to....

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also.... 8-)

In regard to many things, I always consider the lets say, worse case scenario. ...

With multiple Wrangler's in the family and pretty frequent oil changes, years ago, I thought it wise to have a spare oil filter housing cap in the garage.

Unfortunately, these caps can crack if you get over zealous when tightening and reality is, they might just crack, even if you torque to the recommended 18ft/lbs.

Anyway, if you want to keep a spare like I do, here is the oil filter housing cover for the Wrangler JK 2014-2018 3.6L and the Wrangler 2018 JL 3.6L:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About that oil filter housing cover.........

When you unscrew the one on your JL, have a gallon size zip lock bag with you and a rag. Unscrew the oil filter housing cover that will have the oil filter attached to it and lift it straight up, just s tad above where you unscrewed it from, and then drop in in the zip lock bag. You can now easily remove the cover from the oil filter cartridge and then seal up the zip lock bag for clean disposal of same.

IMPORTANT: Look at the black oil filter cover very closely. Again, look very closely.... note where the removable black "o-ring" is residing.
LOOK to see exactly which of the many groves it is sitting in. IF you are forgetful, take a smart phone pic of it.

You will be removing this o-ring and replacing it with a new o-ring. (find new o-ring that comes in the box with your new oil filter) You want to put the new o-ring in the correct groove when you put the new o-ring on the oil filter cover.

Always. moisten the new o-ring with a little bit of oil before you put it on the oil filter cover.

When you go to reinstall, the oil filter cover, with the oil filter hooked on to it, always screw the oil filter cover in with your fingers before you use a wrench on it. Be careful not to cross thread. When wrenching, do not over tighten.

Note: IF you ever want to just change the oil filter itself, you do not have to drain the motor oil from the oil pan. Just turn off the JL, let it sit for say a couple of minutes and then you can just remove the oil filter cover and change your oil filter. Your old oil filter will had a little bit of oil on it so have that zip lock bag handy. 8-) No need to add oil to your JL as that little bit of oil lost that left with the old filter is a tiny amount.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Oil Change: How Many Miles/Oil Preference? oring-filler ca

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
@Rhinebeck01 - Seriously...THANK YOU!!!

I really appreciate the time you just spent passing along these lessons learned. It's examples like this that make me so happy to finally be a part of the Jeep community. Can't wait to build up this level of knowledge and confidence for myself :)

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Swell, another oil thread! :surprised:

Seriously, follow the oil and change interval recommendations in your owner's manual and you'll be fine. Change more often if you wish, but you'll just be wasting time and money. And while frequent changes may give you a warm feeling all over, so does pissing your pants. :sun:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've been doing oil analysis testing on my other vehicle which specifies 5W20 oil and I'm seeing, as expected, that wear metals in the oil are lower with 5W30, and, in addition to that my 210 degree viscosity readings show that I could go to 5W40 and it would actually work even better.

So, the bottom line is that as we've known all along, the 20 weight oils are specified for CAFE and emissions requirements only, and they are not chosen because they will cause your engine to last longer. FCA just wants to get you through warranty period, and do so at the least cost to their bottom line.

If you're someone who is planning to keep your JL for as long as possible, I would consider going with at least a 5W30 oil. You may want to wait until the powertrain warranty ends to do so but certainly beyond that I will never be buying 0W20 ever again.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Also, keep in mind that used motor oil is classified as hazardous waste in many states, so you legally can't just put it in the trash. Look for an auto parts store or service station that will accept used motor oil (and oil filters) for recycling.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI...Pennzoil has a promotion on Pennzoil Platinum where if you purchase a 5 quart jug, you get $1 off per gallon of gas, up to $20. That will put a jug from Wal Mart at just a few bucks, if you get 20 gallons. Of course, you'll have to run your tank uncomfortably low, or you can take a gas can and fill it, as well.

Anyway, it is a very good deal on great oil.

Also, just an FYI, I see 0w20 used oil analyses that are consistently low on wear metals, so the idea that a 0w20 can't protect well is just not true. I'll be posting UOA's every time I change my oil. The first two, which were during break-in, were very good. The next, with Mobil 1 0w20 Annual Protection, should be even better, since it will be the 3rd change and will occur with the Jeep at nearly 10k miles. Besides, the 3.6 is known to be pretty easy on motor oil.

WrongWheelDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Z06 Corvette, Fiesta ST, Polaris Slingshot
I just changed mine today @ 2800 +/- miles. Was by far the easiest oil change I’ve done on a vehicle. Oil filter in top abd an even 5qt fill.
Sponsored