Sponsored

Recovery gear for newbies

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Forest and foremost do not go out alone your best recovery system is another vehicle with prober recovery points driven by someone with half a brain. Reason I say this is because a winch is only good when it works and when alone you limit the directions you can pull from.

As for equipment, minimum a 30k strap about 30' long that you can get at the home Depot will work just fine. The fancy expensive ropes work good too but this will do just fine. And yes kinetic ropes will do even better just keep in mind that there is a lot of marked up shit out there because people think more money equals better. Sometimes yes but not always. Function over form.

If you are asking these questions don't use a winch, it doesn't make it ok to go out alone and they can be dealt if improperly used, so I suggest learning the proper ways to recover first by getting it with a experienced group. That said minimum get a tree saver, a set of d shackles, and a snatch block, in that order. And again function over form.
Sponsored

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
I get the occasional opportunity to hit the trails for some technical fun, but mostly not. On those occasions where I can help, I anticipate my recoveries will be pulling vehicles in snow banks, out of sand, and the like, but I also want to be able to assist if a buddy gets his Wrangler stuck in the mud. I'm not getting a winch -- i just won't use it enough to make it worth it yet. Maybe someday.

After reading a number of threads and looking at many YouTube videos, I think I know what I need/want. Would anyone care to critique it? I know it's subjective, but any helpful suggestions would be great!
  • Recovery (Snatch) Strap: Bubba Rope Renegade -- 3/4" x 30'-- 19,000 lbs. breaking strength
    • 4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 5125 lbs GVWR * 3 = 15,375, so this is a little over spec but not by much.
    • I read that the breaking strength required should be based on the lighter vehicle, but since I don't know what that will be for any potential recovered vehicles I'm just using the JLUR's rating.
  • Soft Shackles (x2): Bubba Rope GatorJaw Pro Soft Shackle -- 52,300lbs. breaking strength
    • Hey, they won't be projectiles, right? The breaking strength seems like serious overkill, but I don't see a downside for this piece.
  • Receiver Hitch D-Ring: TBD weight rating for a 2-in receiver
    • Folks seem to agree that the red recovery hooks on the front are primarily for being recovered, not for recovering someone else, so I figure this is needed.
    • A lot of these seem to ring in at 11,000 lbs capacity. Doesn't this limit the capability of the system to 11,000 lbs? Meaning that it doesn't matter if the strap can handle 19,000 -- this will fail before I get there?
    • I don't see a lot of reviews on which ones folks find reliable. Are these pretty much a commodity? One is as good as the next?
    • Also, if the 2" receiver in the tow package is rated for a 3,500 lb towing capacity, does that mean that the system is further limited to 3,500 lbs? I'm guessing not, but I don't understand the mismatch in numbers.
That, along with some hands-on instruction and lots of practice, seem to be what I need. What do you think?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I get the occasional opportunity to hit the trails for some technical fun, but mostly not. On those occasions where I can help, I anticipate my recoveries will be pulling vehicles in snow banks, out of sand, and the like, but I also want to be able to assist if a buddy gets his Wrangler stuck in the mud. I'm not getting a winch -- i just won't use it enough to make it worth it yet. Maybe someday.

After reading a number of threads and looking at many YouTube videos, I think I know what I need/want. Would anyone care to critique it? I know it's subjective, but any helpful suggestions would be great!
  • Recovery (Snatch) Strap: Bubba Rope Renegade -- 3/4" x 30'-- 19,000 lbs. breaking strength
    • 4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 5125 lbs GVWR * 3 = 15,375, so this is a little over spec but not by much.
    • I read that the breaking strength required should be based on the lighter vehicle, but since I don't know what that will be for any potential recovered vehicles I'm just using the JLUR's rating.
  • Soft Shackles (x2): Bubba Rope GatorJaw Pro Soft Shackle -- 52,300lbs. breaking strength
    • Hey, they won't be projectiles, right? The breaking strength seems like serious overkill, but I don't see a downside for this piece.
    • Folks seem to agree that the red recovery hooks on the front are primarily for being recovered, not for recovering someone else, so I figure this is needed.
    • A lot of these seem to ring in at 11,000 lbs capacity. Doesn't this limit the capability of the system to 11,000 lbs? Meaning that it doesn't matter if the strap can handle 19,000 -- this will fail before I get there?
    • I don't see a lot of reviews on which ones folks find reliable. Are these pretty much a commodity? One is as good as the next?
    • Also, if the 2" receiver in the tow package is rated for a 3,500 lb towing capacity, does that mean that the system is further limited to 3,500 lbs? I'm guessing not, but I don't understand the mismatch in numbers.
That, along with some hands-on instruction and lots of practice, seem to be what I need. What do you think?
Don't confuse working load limit with breaking strength. A lot of the better shackles are rated at working load limit (the breaking strength is much more).

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

you must have read a lot of bad advice

the strap rating should be based on the vehicle that is getting pulled out not who ever is the lighter, if you you have a f-350 buried to its doors in mud that is the anchor not your free roaming jeep.

like you said you wont be doing this all the time just something to have, so why break the bank on a expensive rope, just go to the hardware store or tractor supply and get a 20k 20' and or 30' yellow strap. Works just as well and have just as long of a life as the buba rope. Me and my group been using those for years with success, and when they do break its no biggie. The guys who buy the expensive rope are more the guys that want to show off their expensive rope and want to protect it than use it.

don't bother with a soft shackle for your setup, just loop up your strap when you dont have proper recovery points

the stock recovery points are just as good for getting pulled than they are for pulling someone out, the benefit you will gain from a receiver shackle mount is a more center pulling point on the rear and a closed loop for the strap to hook into. In your case not really worth it. And for the weight of 3.5K that is for the spring load and brakes of pulling a trailer not yanking force on the receiver.

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
you must have read a lot of bad advice
Yeah, I believe it. Thanks for helping to set me straight.

just go to the hardware store or tractor supply and get a 20k 20' and or 30' yellow strap. (...) The guys who buy the expensive rope are more the guys that want to show off their expensive rope and want to protect it than use it.
Good tip! I don't much care if it's fancy or not. But I do expect it to work and get the job done when I need it to. That's the whole point in my opinion!

the stock recovery points are just as good for getting pulled than they are for pulling someone out, the benefit you will gain from a receiver shackle mount is a more center pulling point on the rear and a closed loop for the strap to hook into. In your case not really worth it.
One less piece of kit, if it isn't really necessary, is good in my book. If you pull from the front hooks, do you just pull from one and compensate for the off-center force by steering diligently? Or is there a technique for looping the strap around both hooks so as to center the force?

And for the weight of 3.5K that is for the spring load and brakes of pulling a trailer not yanking force on the receiver.
Much obliged. This is stuff I'm just stating to learn. I really appreciate the advice!

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One less piece of kit, if it isn't really necessary, is good in my book. If you pull from the front hooks, do you just pull from one and compensate for the off-center force by steering diligently? Or is there a technique for looping the strap around both hooks so as to center the force?
the hooks are plenty strong for recovery regardless the angle of recovery

the big thing is more what direction should the stuck vehicle need to go in and thats the direction the recovery vehicle can go it so the more point you have the better overall because.

let say you are stuck and you are getting pulled back and from the factory only have a driver side hook on the rear. if the recovery vehicle pulls straight back it will cause you to rotate a little counter clockwise, you can reduce this or magnify it by changing the what side hook you use on the recovery vehicle assuming they have two front hooks or they can change the angle they pull from to try and rotate you around a obstacles. You can also double up the rope by doing what you asked loop the back to the recovery vehicle, this is helpful of you are in a tight area and dont have 20+' of run way for the pull or if they are really heavy and/or stuck, also does what you asked gives the recovery vehicle a more straight pull but comes at the cost of distance to you and the stuck guy. Which may not be a good thing because you can't get to them without risking getting stuck or worse yourself.

basically every recovery is going to be a little different based on how they got stuck, and what resources you have (both gear you brought and what nature gives you), so the more you get out there and work with other who have done this a bunch you will pick it up

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
i believe that the front tow hooks on my Jeep are good for somebody else pulling me out.

but my transmission and frame are NOT designed for me to drive in reverse to pull someone out.

the frame and transmission are designed so I can PULL someone when my Jeep is moving forward.

mechanical engineers, correct me if I am wrong.
You can pull someone out in reverse. Reverse gear isn’t quite as deep as 1st forward gear, but has adequate grunt. The frame is strong enough both front and rear.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Glad I'm not the one resurrecting this thread :LOL:

I'm going to be working on putting together a basic kit. I used to wheel a long time ago, but that was a long time ago and I am basically starting all over again in knowledge and gear.

I have no intention of wheeling solo (in the very least until I get my skill set up), so self extraction would be emergency only, not a routine thing. I live in the south west and don't visit the snow or mud much at all, just the desert. Any solo off roading will just be getting to places I want to camp between running or mountain biking (GF and I are ultra distance athletes).

"Back in the day" I never used a winch, or elastic strap, nor witness either get used. Always just a regular tow strap and a jack.

I'm currently looking at getting another tow strap, tree saver, and farm jack, and a few other miscellaneous things. I'll decide on the winch later.

If the Jeep is hitting dirt, 100% guaranteed I will have my running gear with me so I'll have enough supplies to run 20+ miles. That means I will be able to stay alive fine while I'm digging myself out (besides the fact that I carry a Garmin inReach when going off grid).

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
*sigh* I should really be adding this stuff to my shopping list hey? And I guess it should take higher priority over the tube doors.....

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I went with AEV's expedition recovery kit: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/aev-recovery-gear-kits/.

(1) 7/8″ X 30′ Kinetic Recovery Rope
(1) 3/8″ X 30′ Winch Extension Rope
(1) 3/8″ X 10′ Utility Rope
(1) 3″ X 10′ Tree Strap
(1) Snatch Block
(2) 3/4” Anchor Shackles
(2) Soft Shackles
(1) Tire Deflator
(1) Recovery Gloves
(1) Premium Recovery Bag

Like everything AEV it's high quality, but damn expensive.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are mentioning snatch straps. I was thinking that those were primarily an Australian thing, but I guess not.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Those of use who end up in soft sand or mud tend to need a snatch strap.
You also need a buddy to pull you out because there are no trees on the beach strong enough to anchor your winch for self recovery.
I would expect the failure mode for rock crawling to need a winch and possibly a tow rope to tow your buddy back home after a rock destroyed something critical under their jeep.

Sand or mud isn't going to break vehicle parts. You just get bogged down.
I was under the impression that mud or even getting wet can have a significant impact on snatch straps. They also don't seem to last as long as a kinetic rope. Am I mistaken?

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here's the rough order as I built my kit over time:

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346322587

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346459561

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346347348

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346364253

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346385744

Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346493353

tire repair kit, added some Colby emergency valve stems
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660347124054

Also had a cheap tree-saver at this point - I'd say the above equipment is a very good start

Then nice to haves:

(debatable if this is a nice to have or a higher priority):
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346944381

I added a pair of maxtrax as well.

Tow hitch recovery eyelet:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660348023138

Safejack:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346629885

Synthetic line repair kit:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346704310

Deadman, replaces tree saver and can save me if stuck with no anchor point:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660346786550

I also bought a 12' 'endless sling' but it was not worth the space/weight, at least for what I do
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery gear for newbies 1660347756117

my favorite places to shop for basics:
https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/
and
https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yes, getting your strap wet can eventually create problems, but not on the first pull.
I don't know about the rope. My goal is to carry, but NOT need recovery gear. Proper driving avoids getting stuck. Or at least that's the plan. I'm not a heavy duty off road driver, we live in the flatlands of coastal Texas. Beach sand is the main thing we deal with.
My understanding is that kinetic rope isn't really impacted by getting wet. It also lasts significantly longer than snatch straps (15 to 20 pulls versus > 100). Snatch straps, however, seem to be quite a bit more compact.

That is, of course, if you believe Matt from Matt's Off Road Recovery:

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75
I'd add a small strong shovel and some traction boards

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
My understanding is that kinetic rope isn't really impacted by getting wet. It also lasts significantly longer than snatch straps (15 to 20 pulls versus > 100).
I don't have any idea if those numbers are correct or not John. I do wonder how many "pulls" the average person would do in a year. I'm guessing that 20 pulls would be enough to cover quite a long time for the average Joe. I have a Snatch-Um Strap that I first bought and used in '76 or '77. It was last used this past Memorial Day weekend. I've probably used no more than five times total. It spent most of the years though in its bag on a shelf in the garage.
Sponsored