Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I live in a very hilly area and 4wd is never necessary in the rain
Yeah I know, I live in the city of seven hills and only use 4 HI in the snow. OP issue points to tires and possibly (dare I say?) technique.
Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don't know. But proper tires and driving habits are more important than AWD/4wd in almost all traction situations.

A good example is Subaru. They have a reputation of being snow eating winter machines. However, I have seen videos of a FWD Honda out preforming an AWD Subie in snowy/icy conditions because the Honda had proper snow tires and the Subie did not. I've also seen plenty of rigs with good MT tires get through nasty mud in 2wd while a street tire equipped vehicle in 4wd was stuck and spinning.

Basically what I'm saying is, that if you have proper tires and drive accordingly for the conditions, there will be only specific scenarios that 4wd is really truely needed. Yes, you can augment good diving and tires with 4wd and dramatically increase your traction which does one of a couple things. Let's you get through environments that other vehicles just can't get through regardless of tires or allows you to perform the same driving tasks but with (possibly) less risk. (ie driving faster in slippery environments). I think the majority of people (not necessarily pointing my finger at you or the OP) want to think that because they have AWD/4wd they are safer in less safe environments and that allows them to be less cautious and drive faster than they would otherwise in 2wd.
I agree with everything you said. I just want to use every tool I have (i.e. 4HI in this case) to increase my odds even more. I was just contesting the people claiming “you should NEVER drive in 4 Hi on the road because total catastrophe will occur and only the unknowing do stuff like that”.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I agree with everything you said. I just want to use every tool I have (i.e. 4HI in this case) to increase my odds even more. I was just contesting the people claiming “you should NEVER drive in 4 Hi on the road because total catastrophe will occur and only the unknowing do stuff like that”.
Nah, those folks are full of it. Use your 4wd when you need it.

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
I dont understand how a couple folks here say ko2s are bad in the rain. I had a set on my last JK and never ever had a problem on any wet surfaces other than 3' plus of wet heavy slushy snow on 4x4 roads(lol...duh). I never had issues gunning it,turning,bombing thru deeper puddles,or hydroplaned in em. They always held steady and firm to the ground for me.
Same here. Love the KO2s in the rain, but they run best at lower pressure than what is posted on the door jam. Try taking 2 psi out and try that curve again to see it it helps. My JLUR liked 30 psi best stock, and now likes 26 psi on 37” KO2s.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I had a dream where elmo and toy story had a party and I went there.

Sponsored

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Hello, new to the Jeep world, enjoying an 18 JLU Sport S. So I realized pretty quickly that my Jeep does not have a limited slip differential. I came from the muscle car world, and always have had LSD. Jeep slips in the rain on one particular up hill right turn from local road to 4 lane major road. Wife now hates when we take the Jeep out in the rain.

Is it ok to run the Jeep in 4HI while on wet roads for extended time??

Thanks.
Yes, you sure can use 4 high for the rain, you will see a major difference.

CapitanBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Hello, new to the Jeep world, enjoying an 18 JLU Sport S. So I realized pretty quickly that my Jeep does not have a limited slip differential. I came from the muscle car world, and always have had LSD. Jeep slips in the rain on one particular up hill right turn from local road to 4 lane major road. Wife now hates when we take the Jeep out in the rain.

Thanks.
I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada - we have LOTS of rain here these days. My Rubicon JL on stock 33" tires drives very well up to speeds of 110-120km/h (74mph) on wet asphalt and our winding roads like Sea to Sky highway. Did not feel any need to switch to 4HI at all.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Where I live now it doesn't rain. However I used to live in Vermont, where it rains constantly and snows a lot during winter. I drove a Toyota Corolla to commute on over 10 inches of snow. Rain? didn't even know rain was a big issue. If you can't drive a Jeep wrangler on a public road I'd say check your tires... Or maybe take it easy on the acceleration.

Sponsored

lorlik

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (Sold), 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR White
This is from Jeep's FAQ page:

How long can I drive in 4x4 High-Range?

With a part-time system, prolonged driving in 4x4 High-Range is recommended only for wet, loose or slippery road surfaces. With a full-time system, you can drive high-range on normal conditions for as long as conditions permit.

full page here: https://www.jeep.com/4x4/faq-and-glossary.html

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !

Thanks.
Didn't your "muscle care world" advocate using traction control. Our modern Muscle cars all have "Traction Control". From what you describe, 1st; the traction control should control that spin. 2nd; if you are aware of that "particular up hill right turn".....why don't you simply "control" your acceleration" to prevent slipping. Although running in 4 high might help you "Control" your jeep...the answer is much more simple. The jeep is no more or less risky driving than a minivan. Lets not make this out to be something bigger than what it really is.
Drive your jeep in any manner that suits you. It is your jeep after all.
But personally, I agree with 1idrod...this thread stinks of "I want attention".
The fact is most people will never feel the slip because the traction control is that good. If he is feeling the slip....there is more to this story than is being told here.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
This is from Jeep's FAQ page:

How long can I drive in 4x4 High-Range?

With a part-time system, prolonged driving in 4x4 High-Range is recommended only for wet, loose or slippery road surfaces. With a full-time system, you can drive high-range on normal conditions for as long as conditions permit.

full page here: https://www.jeep.com/4x4/faq-and-glossary.html
Also on that same page:

When do I use the 4x4 High-Range mode?

High-Range mode can be used if you need more traction over surfaces like snow, ice or rocky roads and need to go faster than low-range mode (25 mph or 40 km/h).

How fast can I drive in 4x4 High-Range?

High-Range is designed for off-road conditions (i.e. gravel, mud, sand). You should not go faster than road conditions permit.

It's all a bit confusing but the bottom line is they no longer bless driving with the center diff locked on wet pavement. Additional info here.