Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Rubicam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Has anyone ordered or installed the new Metalcloak options? Either the Overline rails or the Overland Rocker base with step?

Really curious to see how them compare.
Sponsored

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Hey there! Loved your pics so much that I ordered the Snypers and they're in! Thanks for the link to the anti slip tape. It took me straight to the 2". Is that indeed what you used and wrapped around the back? Or did you get the 1" (my pinch measures exactly that) and just put it on the front? Being wrapped around to the back would give me concern for sand/salt water getting in there and chilling. But I'm a Jeep newbie - advice would be awesome!
Very nice! Those are some great rails :) I ended up with the 2" and only did the front and cut off any excess from the bottom to make it real clean. I also took off the front 2 pinch seam screws tjen poked holes in the tape just to make the tape look all flush once I put the screws back in. There is no need to wrap the back of the seam at all.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
I just took a crack at installing a set of Westin Triple Tube Rock rails. Removing the Rubicon rock rails was easy and took just a few minutes. However, loosening the first of the 4 body bolts (2 on each side) was absolutely impossible laying under the car. I was using a ratchet and just couldn't get it to budge. Anyone have a hint on how to get these bolts loose? Thanks

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm not sure how many bananas FCA gave to their TRAINED GORILLA to install those bolts, they have different levels of LOCTITE, BUT

You can take a chance and use HEAT on the front bolts/or use a high torque impact gun, but

That increases the chance of either busting the captive nut weld, or shattering the bolt !

I also did mine under the jeep, but I got comfy and used the front tires(foundation) and my 24" breaker bar--worked them loose-

I installed JCRoffroad.com "CLASSICS" worked great-
SUNP0183_zpszylpolmk.jpg

Good luck

JIMBO

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I just took a crack at installing a set of Westin Triple Tube Rock rails. Removing the Rubicon rock rails was easy and took just a few minutes. However, loosening the first of the 4 body bolts (2 on each side) was absolutely impossible laying under the car. I was using a ratchet and just couldn't get it to budge. Anyone have a hint on how to get these bolts loose? Thanks
There are a number of threads here discussing the difficulty in removing the body bolts (though they report 6, not 4). Consensus is that the front bolt is red loctited and the 2 rear bolts are blue loctited. Some have had success with just a good breaker bar, strength and patience. Some have broken the bolts. Some have removed the bolts only to have the inner nut move and not be able to rethread the bolt.
This 17 page thread, originally created for the ACE sliders, documents many of the issues and potential solutions in removing/reinstalling the body bolts.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...install-hints-from-fellow-jl-jlu-owners.4153/
And it may be contained in one of the posts there but this is a link to a very detailed video on Youtube where a member removes and installs the body bolts as part of a slider install (note use of heat gun).

You may want to start with watching the video first then paging through the first thread looking for more specific info.
Good luck!

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a number of threads here discussing the difficulty in removing the body bolts (though they report 6, not 4). Consensus is that the front bolt is red loctited and the 2 rear bolts are blue loctited. Some have had success with just a good breaker bar, strength and patience. Some have broken the bolts. Some have removed the bolts only to have the inner nut move and not be able to rethread the bolt.
This 17 page thread, originally created for the ACE sliders, documents many of the issues and potential solutions in removing/reinstalling the body bolts.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...install-hints-from-fellow-jl-jlu-owners.4153/
And it may be contained in one of the posts there but this is a link to a very detailed video on Youtube where a member removes and installs the body bolts as part of a slider install (note use of heat gun).

You may want to start with watching the video first then paging through the first thread looking for more specific info.
Good luck!

Jimbo & Karl, thanks for the helpful info, I'll certainly review the thread and borrow a breaker bar. As for the comment on the 4 vs 6 bolts, you're right that there's 6 body bolts but it looks are if only 4 need to be removed for this set of rails.

Chanrith

First Name
Chanrith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, Bright White, 17" Rubicon Wheels w/ 33" Tires and 2" Spacers, Red Katzkin Leather Seats w/ Heated Front/Back Seats, 5" iBoard aluminum running boards
Vehicle Showcase
I installed iBoard 5” side steps. Is there a rock rail solution I can add to hide the hideous under panel?

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed these DV8 Off-Road Tubular Rock Slider with Plated End Caps for my 2018 JLU Sport. Straight forward installation with no issues. Love the way they come up and protect up to the door.

2018-10-03 18.29.28.jpg

2018-10-03 18.29.36.jpg

2018-10-03 18.29.42.jpg

Sponsored

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Installed the LoD Signature Series. I think they look great and will do what I want - keep rocks and shopping carts away from my rocker panels.

Couple of install tips:

1) Phone a friend. These weigh a ton.
2) To get the holes over the body mount washers, you may need to rock the sliders back and forth. See tip #1. This is virtually impossible to do by yourself.
3) Don't tighten down the rear nuts until you have the bolt into the captured nut up front. Otherwise it may pull the slider far enough away from the frame so that the bolt can't reach the captured nut to get started.

Easy install, maybe an hour. I might drill the extra holes someday but I'm not sure I need them for fairly light off-roading.

IMG_20181001_144235.jpg
IMG_20181002_131307.jpg
IMG_20181002_131341.jpg
IMG_20181002_131430.jpg
IMG_20181002_131446.jpg
IMG_20181002_131515.jpg
[/QUO
Installed the LoD Signature Series. I think they look great and will do what I want - keep rocks and shopping carts away from my rocker panels.

Couple of install tips:

1) Phone a friend. These weigh a ton.
2) To get the holes over the body mount washers, you may need to rock the sliders back and forth. See tip #1. This is virtually impossible to do by yourself.
3) Don't tighten down the rear nuts until you have the bolt into the captured nut up front. Otherwise it may pull the slider far enough away from the frame so that the bolt can't reach the captured nut to get started.

Easy install, maybe an hour. I might drill the extra holes someday but I'm not sure I need them for fairly light off-roading.

IMG_20181001_144235.jpg
IMG_20181002_131307.jpg
IMG_20181002_131341.jpg
IMG_20181002_131430.jpg
IMG_20181002_131446.jpg
IMG_20181002_131515.jpg
Can you take an image of the full side view of your Jeep? I would love to see the rails with a full view. I'm very interested in them. They look sharp.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Can you take an image of the full side view of your Jeep? I would love to see the rails with a full view. I'm very interested in them. They look sharp.
Here you go. They kind of disappear from view directly to the side.

IMG_20181004_144510.jpg

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
CB04E7B6-D84B-4B88-9E49-5E4771FFE929.jpeg
CF31D072-E3D2-409A-B734-FB05C1DBD680.jpeg
CB04E7B6-D84B-4B88-9E49-5E4771FFE929.jpeg
CF31D072-E3D2-409A-B734-FB05C1DBD680.jpeg
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Did you get these installed? How do you like them? Pics?
They are supposed to be here October 4 and I will install them then. I’ll let you know
I got the Mopar performance rock rails installed today, these things are very nice and look like they are bomb proof LOL . They [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]mount in the exact same place that the original Rubicon rock rails mounted on my jeep. But they are nice and they provide a good step and also lots of protection. The finish is great, just finished with a bedliner from Mopar and they are made in the United States per the box that Mopar shipped.

9AC1955F-E63F-497D-AA77-2BBDD10F7167.jpeg

Last edited:

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct. Bolt on to two body mounts using existing hardware and one ubolt (provided) to existing holes on frame. Easy install, no drilling. Bring a buddy because each step weighs about 40lbs and not easy to handle alone while fastening. I will attach a picture when it stops raining

Install instructions here: https://www.westinautomotive.com/jeep-wrangler-triple-tube-rock-rails/2018/jeep/wrangler-jl
Cajun, I had my dealer install the Westin rails, and unfortunately they squeak like holy hell anytime the Jeep hits the slightest bump. ( It does appear that they used the plastic spacers, which if left out could have been the cause of the squeaking.) Did you have any experience with squeaking after the installation? The car is now almost undriveable with the constant squeaking coming from these rails, and I'll go back to the stock rails if I can't find a way to get rid of the noise.
Sponsored