Sponsored

Running in 4 Hi in the rain

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Interesting. The manual for my 99 TJ read as follows (bolding my own):

This transfer case is intended to be driven in the two wheel drive (2H) position for normal street and highway conditions such as dry hard surfaced roads.

In the events when additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together and force the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This is accomplished by simply moving the shift lever to these positions. The 4H and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on dry hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.

I took that to mean if it's not dry pavement, 4H is all good. I put on 100k miles with no problems putting it in 4H anytime the pavement was wet. As soon as I was pulling into a driveway or parking lot, I'd drop back to 2H to avoid binding and wide turning radii, though.

The JL manual:

The 4H and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hard-surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the drive-line components.

So no, routine driving in the rain, on pavement, in 4H is not a good idea now apparently.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Exactly
The JL manual:

The 4H and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hard-surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the drive-line components.

So no, routine driving in the rain, on pavement, in 4H is not a good idea now apparently.
Exactly

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
4 Hi is neither meant for, nor necessary on a wet road. While a RWD car can be a bit challenging at first in the rain, it’s nothing a light foot and a couple days practice can’t cure.

Sponsored

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
I loved running in 4wd in the TJ. It felt more stable in 4wd on wet pavement than it did on dry pavement in 2wd. I'm a little sad that's changed now.

YoBub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Two 2002 Grand Cherokees
I'm not one to usually post crap but this is crap. If you or your wife cannot drive in the rain then stay home. I don't care what kind of differential you have. I'm so sick of people and them wanting everyone to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE !!!
Dude, if you are sick of people's problems, then why do you read a forum where people ask questions looking for help?

He asked a very fair question - can I drive my wrangler in 4 high in the rain? @Tbackus, The advice that you've received from the other posters has been solid. 4H is designed for loose or slippery surfaces, not for normal driving, because it forces the front and rear wheels to rotate and the same speed. It's not designed for long range driving, but I use it if my wheels are slipping under any conditions. Personally, I put my Rubicon in 4H if my wheels are slipping or if it is snowy, and 2H the rest of the time when normal driving. I come out of 4H as soon as I think I have reliable traction. That don't mean it's the right answer, it's just what I do.

This all assumes that you don't have the 4H auto, that basically shifts the power as needed, like the Grand Cherokee does.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Mine slips as well when it’s wet, usually when I’m pretty heavy on the pedal though so I take it easy around the corners. I’ve got a JLUR. Regardless the ESC should keep things stable if you’re slipping anyway.

Of note, rubicons don’t have an LSD, but both my tires spin when I decide to have a bit of fun and turn off the ESC in the rain. I’ve gotten it to shift sideways a bit coming off a light with the tires spinning for a few seconds before letting off the gas.

When winter gets here and the snows on the ground...the Jeep is a blast to drive. Gotta love RWD.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Does the JL not do the same thing the JK does when not in 4 lo?

I understood that part of traction control is the jeep would emulate a limited slip by clamping the brake on the wheel that is slipping thus transferring power to the wheel with grip.

My JK also cuts power when one wheel slips.

I look forward to getting either a JL or a Scrambler once all the details regarding code 22 and the diesels are released.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Does the JL not do the same thing the JK does when not in 4 lo?

I understood that part of traction control is the jeep would emulate a limited slip by clamping the brake on the wheel that is slipping thus transferring power to the wheel with grip.

My JK also cuts power when one wheel slips.

I look forward to getting either a JL or a Scrambler once all the details regarding code 22 and the diesels are released.
This is the BLD or brake lock differential, which is why we aren’t running off wet road in 2WD without LSD’s apparently :)

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, new to the Jeep world, enjoying an 18 JLU Sport S. So I realized pretty quickly that my Jeep does not have a limited slip differential. I came from the muscle car world, and always have had LSD. Jeep slips in the rain on one particular up hill right turn from local road to 4 lane major road. Wife now hates when we take the Jeep out in the rain.

Is it ok to run the Jeep in 4HI while on wet roads for extended time??

Thanks.
The problem is your tires! You should upgrade to a tire with better traction is all!

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
The problem is your tires! You should upgrade to a tire with better traction is all!
Totally agree with this. Even the stock KO2s (psi adjusted to 36) that came with my Rubicon were horrible in the rain.. I felt like I was all over the place and I definitely drive conservatively here in PA with it being prime "deer hitting" season. I switched them out for a set of Cooper STT Pros (running at 33 psi) and haven't slipped yet.
Sponsored