What octane is everyone running?

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
So the 2.0 4cyl turbo user manual specifies 87? Back in thread was stated 91. Do I hear 89 or 93 now?
Page 492 of the manual states the following for the 2.0 Turbo:
“For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines.”
It also states that use of regular 87 or higher is OK and won’t cause issues.
So it’s really a matter of interpretation. Can you be fine with 87 or 89? Sure. But if you want to experience the full potential of your Turbo, should you favor 91 or 93? Yes.
My personal view is that if I didn’t want my turbo to run like a turbo, I would have bought a 3.6... So I’ve been using 91 or 93. And I’m loving my 2.0 JLR! :)

Last edited:

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
100% fuel premium at 91 Octane. 3.6L, 400 miles.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
If you don't put 91 or in it runs like crap compared to Premium. My dealer filled with Regular and since I started filing it with 91 I get 3mpg better fuel economy and better acceleration.

Sponsored

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
Page 492 of the manual states the following for the 2.0 Turbo:
“For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines.”
It also states that use of regular 87 or higher is OK and won’t cause issues.
So it’s really a matter of interpretation. Can you be fine with 87 or 89? Sure. But if you want to experience the full potential of your Turbo, should you favor 91 or 93? Yes.
My personal view is that if I didn’t want my turbo to run like a turbo, I would have bought a 3.6... So I’ve been using 91 or 93. And I’m loving my 2.0 JLR! :)
If they state to run premium in the 2.0, then it is what it is. I don't understand why FCA would tune an engine that needs anything but 87 with today's technology. My truck has twin turbos and does the 1/4 mile stock in 13.7 , with 87 octane (as specified). People reporting the V6 is rated for 87 octane, but insisting to go with higher octane are just flushing their money, as well as building up carbon deposits more than likely. There is no energy difference in gasoline regardless of octane. No one is getting more MPG putting in higher octane than specified by manufacturer. If anything, putting in a higher octane than tuned for will result in an incomplete burn and may decrease mpg.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fyi, a quick search revealed this about the Ecoboost F-150:

From the owner's manual:

3.5L V6 EcoBoostTM engine
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications such as towing a trailer.

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
Performance, aka Horse Power. There is plenty HP on 87 octane in the EcoBoost for 99% of drivers.. It does not add MPG or is better for engine, all myths. The Higher octane will let the timing advance a bit, which gets you some Horse Power. It's a shame the 2.0 4cyl turbo engine specifies 91 as minimum. I wonder if the V6 gasoline requirement changes with a BSG added?

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
100% fuel premium at 91 Octane. 3.6L, 400 miles.
I’m going to be that nerd who quotes the user guide ;) but I’m only doing it to maybe help you save some money...
The user guide recommends 87 for the 3.6L and explicitly states: “use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines” (Pg. 492).
I hope this helps!

So to sum up:
- 2.0L owners could run 87 without damaging anything, but 91 or higher is strongly recommended for the engine to run optimally;
- 3.6L owners can/should run 87, and won’t see any improvement by using premium instead of regular.

upload_2018-9-23_10-42-30.jpeg

I knew what I was getting into when purchasing a Turbo, and while I did get sticker shock the first time I paid for a full tank of premium, I still feel like I get good value if I measure in fpg (fun per gallon)...:like:

Sponsored

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah but my JL does the 1/4 mile in 9.9 seconds and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and averages 38 mpg on the interstate at 75 mph. Also have a nice 2nd and 3rd gear tire chirp under hard deceleration with 91.

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
Performance, aka Horse Power. There is plenty HP on 87 octane in the EcoBoost for 99% of drivers.. It does not add MPG or is better for engine, all myths. The Higher octane will let the timing advance a bit, which gets you some Horse Power. It's a shame the 2.0 4cyl turbo engine specifies 91 as minimum. I wonder if the V6 gasoline requirement changes with a BSG added?
Performance, as in using 87 in a high compression engine that specifies 91 will cause the computer to retard the timing when it detects the inevitable pinging...

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
54,000 miles on my Ecoboost. I only run 87 and averaging 18.1. 15 miles to work and only 6 of those is highway. 4x4 Crew Cab, so it isn't light.

Last edited:

shicken562

First Name
Efrain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Firecracker Red
Occupation
Service Dispatcher
Using 87 per the manual, drive 64 miles round trip a day to work and averaging just over 20mpg in SoCal.
How long does a full-tank last you? And what mileage range do you get on a full-tank if you don't mind me asking.
Sponsored