Sponsored

Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just ordered a Vibe Yellowfin 130T (tandem). It is going to take 2-3 weeks for delivery. We are trying to figure out the best way to transport it. I have a white Rubicon JLU and really like your set-up. Have you had any issues with weight?
Nope. It's easier to load on the jeep than it was for me to load on my truck. The rack on my truck was a little higher.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. It's easier to load on the jeep than it was for me to load on my truck. The rack on my truck was a little higher.
Or just toss it in the bed of the pickup...

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
A little late to the thread, I was checking this thread out when I purchased my Jeep and thought I'd add my current setup:

I have a 2 door, and a 17' sea kayak. Currently I'm running a 60" Thule Aerobar (ARB60BK) and the Rapid Gutter Foot Pack to mount the cross bars to the roof. I also use an older version of the Thule Dock Glide to secure the kayak.

Had it out on a few trips over the highway, seems fine so far!

Note: The picture shows the front bar on the freedom panels (I realized afterwards this wasn't the most secure thing in the world) I've since moved the front bar back to just off the freedom panels, working excellent.

37397685_10155569397307724_4676591697348526080_n.jpg

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
A little late to the thread, I was checking this thread out when I purchased my Jeep and thought I'd add my current setup:

I have a 2 door, and a 17' sea kayak. Currently I'm running a 60" Thule Aerobar (ARB60BK) and the Rapid Gutter Foot Pack to mount the cross bars to the roof. I also use an older version of the Thule Dock Glide to secure the kayak.

Had it out on a few trips over the highway, seems fine so far!

Note: The picture shows the front bar on the freedom panels (I realized afterwards this wasn't the most secure thing in the world) I've since moved the front bar back to just off the freedom panels, working excellent.

37397685_10155569397307724_4676591697348526080_n.jpg
Good info. Thanks. Any problems with weight? I understand FCA has limits on what you can put on the roof.

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Good info. Thanks. Any problems with weight? I understand FCA has limits on what you can put on the roof.
The manual says it should be 100 lbs or less, including the bars. I would guess that I'm very close to that number, but no issues with the weight so far (fingers crossed). My boat is 59.9 lbs empty.

Sponsored

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
The manual says it should be 100 lbs or less, including the bars. I would guess that I'm very close to that number, but no issues with the weight so far (fingers crossed). My boat is 59.9 lbs empty.
Thanks. Trying to decide between something like this and a trailer I could also use for other purposes. This is helpful info.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Doesn't it also say NO KAYAKS?

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Trying to decide between something like this and a trailer I could also use for other purposes. This is helpful info.
I also costed out the above system. Looks like I could get a multi-purpose trailer for a similar price. As I have a JKU, that would allow me to transport a wider range of heavy items, but with the hassle of dealing with a trailer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
It's really messed up.

Mopar sells a kayak and canoe mounting system which is to be used with their rack. But when you look at their actual rack, it says it's not recommended for water sports, canoes or paddle board carriers. :facepalm:

In any event, I think I'll go with the Mopar rack myself. I read somewhere that it's basically a re-badged Yakima.

I won't be pushing my luck by mounting my 80lb tripping canoe onto the rack but I think it should have no issues handling my 35lb kevlar canoe.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
It's really messed up.

Mopar sells a kayak and canoe mounting system which is to be used with their rack. But when you look at their actual rack, it says it's not recommended for water sports, canoes or paddle board carriers. :facepalm:

In any event, I think I'll go with the Mopar rack myself. I read somewhere that it's basically a re-badged Yakima.

I won't be pushing my luck by mounting my 80lb tripping canoe onto the rack but I think it should have no issues handling my 35lb kevlar canoe.
Mine is 59lbs. I just worry about the lift on the highway.

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
The Jeep's manual makes no reference (that I could find anyways) to what you carry on the roof, as long as it's evenly distributed. As Ken pointed out, it's the Mopar crossbars themselves that say no water sports. My Thule racks don't have the same limitations, which I why I went with the Thule over the Mopar (just in case something ever happened!). I know with the KL Cherokees the "Mopar" rails were actually Thule, not even re-badged - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find these are Yakima bars as Ken mentioned.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
The Jeep's manual makes no reference (that I could find anyways) to what you carry on the roof, as long as it's evenly distributed. As Ken pointed out, it's the Mopar crossbars themselves that say no water sports. My Thule racks don't have the same limitations, which I why I went with the Thule over the Mopar (just in case something ever happened!). I know with the KL Cherokees the "Mopar" rails were actually Thule, not even re-badged - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find these are Yakima bars as Ken mentioned.
The fiberglass top is the concern even though apparently it has metal rain gutters. Tying the front of the kayak to the front bumper should illuminate most wind stresses. But still, fiberglass will get twisting forces on it.
Does anyone know what the steel rain gutters are tied to? Is there a steel frame around top perimeter?

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I built a rack that mounts in the hitch. Hauls 2 12ft kayaks here’s a couple of pictures of the fit up before I welded the gussets and added the cooler rack.

6E96890E-E818-47D4-865A-526AF2C4D839.jpeg

7C5F5B23-4030-4D4F-9E50-96A528C5E81E.jpeg
How is your homemade kayak hitch carrier working? do the kayaks move alot due to the long extensions from the hitch and no attachment up front to a roof rack? does it make it difficult to drive in wind?
I looked and no one seems to make one like this.......
Sponsored