Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Ordering Shows 3.0L CRD Diesel V6 (w/Manual Transmission?) and 3.6L BSG Engines!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
=) That would be cool. My first car was a 225 cid slant-6 Plymouth. It was a great engine.
Slant 6 is/was an epic motor. I doubt we'll see an actual return of a modern version, the articles I saw discussed extending the Hurricane motor by 2 cylinders. Still, I drool over the possibility of a modern Slant 6. Such a simple, basic, reliable workhorse.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
One of the often overlooked issues in the age-old gas vs diesel debate is the response of each to payload and tire choice. It is a well known fact that diesel trucks drop mpgā€™s less precipitously than gas trucks under load and with larger tires. Obviously this trend hasnā€™t been replicated with production wranglers yet (some of us have been waiting for a CRD wrangler since the early JK days when the rumors began), but itā€™s essentially a guarantee to be the same. Given the amount of weight most of us tend to load onto our wranglers permanently, the real world fuel efficiency upside of the 3.0 is likely to be significantly larger than the EPA figures suggest. Iā€™ll be glad to report back some hard comparison figures when I trade my ā€˜18 JLUR for a ā€˜19 JLURD, but if the fuel range increases as expected, the 3.0 surcharge will be worth every cent up here in AK. Hell Iā€™d pay it just for 442 lb-ft at 2000rpm.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
One of the often overlooked issues in the age-old gas vs diesel debate is the response of each to payload and tire choice. It is a well known fact that diesel trucks drop mpgā€™s less precipitously than gas trucks under load and with larger tires. Obviously this trend hasnā€™t been replicated with production wranglers yet (some of us have been waiting for a CRD wrangler since the early JK days when the rumors began), but itā€™s essentially a guarantee to be the same. Given the amount of weight most of us tend to load onto our wranglers permanently, the real world fuel efficiency upside of the 3.0 is likely to be significantly larger than the EPA figures suggest. Iā€™ll be glad to report back some hard comparison figures when I trade my ā€˜18 JLUR for a ā€˜19 JLURD, but if the fuel range increases as expected, the 3.0 surcharge will be worth every cent up here in AK. Hell Iā€™d pay it just for 442 lb-ft at 2000rpm.
Thatā€™s a good point. The current epa numbers arenā€™t even for a rubicon with beefier wheels and steel bumpers.

Diesel prices here are about even with gas. Iā€™d consider diesel for the Range and I think the MPG could be an advantage. Will need to see how it does with some armor, rails, and steel bumpers. Iā€™m curious if they will up its toe rating to put a class 2 hitch on it. That would be great.

Manual would be awesome but I doubt that will happen.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Thatā€™s a good point. The current epa numbers arenā€™t even for a rubicon with beefier wheels and steel bumpers.

Diesel prices here are about even with gas. Iā€™d consider diesel for the Range and I think the MPG could be an advantage. Will need to see how it does with some armor, rails, and steel bumpers. Iā€™m curious if they will up its toe rating to put a class 2 hitch on it. That would be great.

Manual would be awesome but I doubt that will happen.
From what I was told, there will be a manual option

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The latest rumor is FCA is going to replace the pentastar with a turbocharged inline 6.
And I've heard they are going to make it 4.0L in displacement, because that sells well. (Look at Ford's new 5.0L).

As long as they keep direct injection and eTorque off of it, I'd buy one.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do you all think the 3.6L BSG will match the 2.0 Turbo in mpg? If mpg is similar, I am less inclined to spend the extra $1k on the 2.0 for minimal performance benefits and potential reliability concerns.
Based upon what we're seeing today, the current 3.6L is matching the 2.0L in MPGs, when you compare apples to apples (same trim levels, options, tires, etc.). So, I would think that the BSG 3.6L would do better in the real world than the 2.0L.

Also, my wife has a 2018 Cherokee with the 4-cyl and her mileage is exactly the same as mine when I run my stock tires.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Does anyone know if the bsg is going to add more performance. I just recently ordered the 2019 2.0 turbo rubicon in mojito and I want the most performance out of my Wrangler (without the diesel) wondering if I should change ordered or if itā€™s even worth it over the turbo.
The only way BSG can add better performancecis at very low rpm off the line. BSG does nothing for most of the power band or torque curve so the recent dyno runs comparing the 3.6cto the 2.0 shouldnā€™t see really any difference. BSG is engineered for better City fuel economy and should also make the engine cutoff less noticable starting from stop lights.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yes you are correct, we do not build any of the engines. We add the alternators, AC units, starters, TOC lines, etc... But every type of engine we put in a JL will go down our engine line.
And I've heard they are going to make it 4.0L in displacement, because that sells well. (Look at Ford's new 5.0L).

As long as they keep direct injection and eTorque off of it, I'd buy one.
The rumors are a 2.9L so it meets European regulations so they can sell in it Europe. Allpar reports the engine is more likely for Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I plan to purchase a JLUR at the end of 2019.
My wish list is
Mojito (Iā€™ll settle for Punkā€™N)
Sky one touch (waiting to hear from peeps if this is reliable and doesnā€™t leak).
ACC/FCW/AEB
Diesel/Manual

So all this lately has been good news since it looks like this will exist by then.

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
As much fun as a CRD would be in a Wrangler, I'll probably stick with the 3.6. Now if someone can just buy my TJ, then I can place my order for a JLUR.

What's the jury say on the BSG? I've seen a few youtube reviews of the BSG in the Ram and it seemed alright. Appeared to be a pretty simple addition to the 3.6 that should cause a lot of problems. Although, if this replaces the alternator it could be an expensive part to replace should it fail.

logix727

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
If we could confirm this i'd be inclined to hold off until i can order one
Ya where did this info come about the manual option also does anyone know if 3.0 will come to the 2 door or just 4 door? I'll order right away if I can get a 2 door manual 3.0

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If the new trim codes 22, 25 & 26 are confirmed, why are they not showing up in the new order guides - like the Canada one with pricing which was released today? It's as if you still can't make these new engine choices.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If the new trim codes 22, 25 & 26 are confirmed, why are they not showing up in the new order guides - like the Canada one with pricing which was released today? It's as if you still can't make these new engine choices.
Because you can't. They aren't even making these motors yet.
Sponsored