Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Ordering Shows 3.0L CRD Diesel V6 (w/Manual Transmission?) and 3.6L BSG Engines!

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
The price of diesel alone negates the added MPG advantage here in Michigan. Gas is $2.92 and diesel is currently $3.23. It’s almost always $.30-.40 more per gallon. I’m saving $7-10 per tank. That’s approximately 165,000 miles of driving before the saving pay for themselves. And that’s contingent that I keep it that long, and it doesn’t break in that time (given all the info we have here on these engines). But to have a diesel in Wrangler would be amazing. I’ll probably wait a year and goto school on these early adopters.
Sponsored

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
Whats ironic is Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe. Here one point is Diesel is taxed higher than gasoline and that comes out of the 1980's where the rational was trucks caused more wear and tear on highways. So Diesel auto drivers are just collateral damage, like self employed are with Obamacare....

One question I have is the ESS. Has this been used for some time with diesels? Starting a diesel takes a lot more cranking power unless they've engineered something new unknown to me.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Just because I’m a green thumb when it comes to diesel technicalities: Is the 3.0 CRD different than the (fully expected) Eco diesel? Or is it the same thing with more than one name?

The Eco and CRD are the same engine or no? They put the CRD in the KJ, correct?
ECO is FCA name for the 3.0. CRD stands for common rail diesel and just describes the type of diesel engine. Most people interchange the names, but same engine.

KJ was a 2.8l 4 cylinder CRD, different engine. Both engines are made by the same company.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
The price of diesel alone negates the added MPG advantage here in Michigan. Gas is $2.92 and diesel is currently $3.23. It’s almost always $.30-.40 more per gallon. I’m saving $7-10 per tank. That’s approximately 165,000 miles of driving before the saving pay for themselves. And that’s contingent that I keep it that long, and it doesn’t break in that time (given all the info we have here on these engines). But to have a diesel in Wrangler would be amazing. I’ll probably wait a year and goto school on these early adopters.
The idea you will save money on a diesel is false. First off the engine cost itself usually takes well over 100,000 miles to overcome, next add in more expensive fuel, DEF, increased maintenance costs and it is clear that a gas engine is cheaper for over 99% of the population. The real benefit in my opinion is the increased range that comes from the better fuel economy. Next is the low end torque that typically comes with the diesel. I prefer driving the diesel for these two reasons although I often question if the cost is worth it. Anyone buying a diesel just because they are saving money of fuel is going to be extremely disappointed

Airdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
ECO is FCA name for the 3.0. CRD stands for common rail diesel and just describes the type of diesel engine. Most people interchange the names, but same engine.

KJ was a 2.8l 4 cylinder CRD, different engine. Both engines are made by the same company.
Are there any numbers out yet on the 3.0CRD relating to torque/horsepower?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do you really want BSG though?
I don't. Simple is best. Simple is least expensive. Simple is easiest to maintain for years.

I'd be curious if the diesel really shows up or not. Our 18 should be delivered to the dealer this week. We decided not to wait because I never thought diesel would actually come out :p Time will tell!
Notice that even the OP said that there is no ETA on the diesel. I will be shocked if it's available anytime soon, considering the history of FCA delays on other powertrains and also considering the serious flaws they had to work out with the EcoDiesel in Grand Cherokees and especially Ram pickups.

BIG UPDATE!!

100% Confirmed - "26" order code = 2019 JL 3.0L V6 CRD (diesel) with ESS + 8HP75 8-speed automatic transmission! No ETA on release date.

Now about that mysterious code "22" ... Could it be a 6-speed manual CRD? (We have thus far been unable to confirm). It may be wishful thinking but we have our fingers crossed. One thing is for sure - it is unlikely to be a special edition model since it would not be on all 3 trim levels.

Stay tuned!
Frosty the Snowman has a better chance in hell. The Aisin transmission can't handle 460 lbs/ft of torque and they don't have another one that will fit in JL as far as I've been told.

Just because I’m a green thumb when it comes to diesel technicalities: Is the 3.0 CRD different than the (fully expected) Eco diesel? Or is it the same thing with more than one name?

The Eco and CRD are the same engine or no? They put the CRD in the KJ, correct?
CRD = Common Rail Diesel. It's the method of fuel injection. "EcoDiesel" is just the fancy marketing name they gave this particular 3.0L. We HOPE it's not the exact same engine that has been used for the last few years, because that one has a terrible track record.

Yep, once you add up the more expensive fuel, more expensive purchase price, more expensive parts, more expensive maintenance, lower availability of diesel fuel, having to endure regen cycles, etc...it will take a very specialized customer to actually buy the diesel.

I love diesels. I've owned two diesel Jeeps. But it's just not a wise choice anymore.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I agree, simple is best honestly. Especially for TRAIL use.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Whats ironic is Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe. Here one point is Diesel is taxed higher than gasoline and that comes out of the 1980's where the rational was trucks caused more wear and tear on highways. So Diesel auto drivers are just collateral damage, like self employed are with Obamacare....

One question I have is the ESS. Has this been used for some time with diesels? Starting a diesel takes a lot more cranking power unless they've engineered something new unknown to me.
The federal tax differential on gas and diesel is only 6 cents. As it has been for some time the largest contributor to higher diesel prices is (lack of) refining capacity. That said, I buy my fuel at Costco. Right now around here it's $2.89 for regular and . . . $2.89 for diesel.

I have no illusions that with my driving pattern, given the significant price difference expected between the diesel and the other 2 motor options, that the higher mpg would pay for itself. What I would enjoy is the significantly greater range and the increased torque figures. What remains to be seen is the long term reliability of this motor in this vehicle.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
The idea you will save money on a diesel is false. First off the engine cost itself usually takes well over 100,000 miles to overcome, next add in more expensive fuel, DEF, increased maintenance costs and it is clear that a gas engine is cheaper for over 99% of the population. The real benefit in my opinion is the increased range that comes from the better fuel economy. Next is the low end torque that typically comes with the diesel. I prefer driving the diesel for these two reasons although I often question if the cost is worth it. Anyone buying a diesel just because they are saving money of fuel is going to be extremely disappointed
I was going to reply similarly. Anyone buying a wrangler should not base decisions on whether it pencils out mpg wise, if so you should not be buying a wrangler. It's RANGE and torque.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
The real question people want to know, will the diesel version come with an engine warmer or will that be extra? Doh! :)

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The real question people want to know, will the diesel version come with an engine warmer or will that be extra? Doh! :)
I would think the block heater would be included. It was on the two I owned but that was 10 years ago. Do the current EcoDiesel Grand Cherokees have them standard?

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Reading over at Allpar.com there seems to be issues with the 3.0 diesel. Hope they got them corrected.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
There was an older study done, comparing diesels to gas, a good read for those who are skeptical about diesel cost of ownership. Overall, the results of our analyses show that diesel vehicles provide owners with a Total Cost of Ownership that is less than that of the gas versions of the same vehicles.

https://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_CD_UMTRITCOFinalReport_dd2017.pdf

Also if you look at EIA.gov the price of diesel is more stable than the price of gasoline.

Just my .02

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
A modern turbo diesel with ASS? Yeah, I am going to go ahead and pass on that one....That combo has all the makins for a grenade..

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yep, once you add up the more expensive fuel, more expensive purchase price, more expensive parts, more expensive maintenance, lower availability of diesel fuel, having to endure regen cycles, etc...it will take a very specialized customer to actually buy the diesel.

I love diesels. I've owned two diesel Jeeps. But it's just not a wise choice anymore.
Diesel looks great on paper until you actually think about each customer and their driving habits.

Totally agree on all points including the regen cycles. Not sure about the JL but other diesel engines did not make sense unless daily drives were about 20 miles daily. I had a neighbor who had one of the infamous VW diesels and she never drove long enough for the the regen cycle. Then there was the issue of bad DEF fluid where it was degraded from time. Overall her maintenance was a nightmare. It became a hassle. Diesel was a poor choice for her. The only saving grace for her was the VW scandal itself. VW bought back her car.
Sponsored