Jeep Wave Etiquette

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
NOVA here, 0% wave rate for female drivers so far, only had the jeep since march so time will tell.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
where I am I find:
Big City 4 Door Wrangler - Rare wave, pretty much a no
Big City 2 Door Wrangler - 50/50
Small Town All Wranglers - nearly all wave

Big city people are angry or texting these days it seems

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First time jeep owner. I live in RI, but do a lot of driving in Mass too. I would say I get about 80-90% wave/wave back ✌between both states. (from both men & women)
I lived in RI from '85-'89 (Navy) loved it. I was a member of the Newport Preservation Society; also, my oldest son was born there.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
One of the hobbies I've been involved in, almost since it's inception, is Geocaching. There is a group of folks who love to create Geo-Art caching series that paint a picture of something in the desert. A mug of beer, a long neck poring into that mug, and a Jeep outline have been past projects. The most recent one I stumbled upon is the Jeep Wave Geo-Art creation just north of Tucson. You need a large space to create these pictures ... this one is about four miles from tip-to-tip. The goal is to visit each one of the question mark locations, find the cache container, and sign the log sheet.

Jeep Wave.jpg

The write up for the cache series contains this description of the Jeep Wave:

The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle – the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:

Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod.

We don't get blizzards in Arizona, so the write-up struck me as comical. Of course, the missus did have her seat heater on last night 'cuz the temp was down to 87 degrees ... so, maybe it's all in your outlook.

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm also a female, first time jeep owner. My sales guy actually made sure to lecture me about the jeep wave before I drove off. At first I thought he was joking, but now, i'm always waving!!
At the dealership last month buying my first wrangler ever, a JLU, the salesman gave me the same lecture. Had no idea.

On the way home, I was driving on a non-busy road and saw the unmistakeable silhouette of a Wrangler with huge tires on it. When it got close, 4 separate arms came out of the Jeep in all different directions simultaneously in the most awesome 4-person Jeep wave. What a feeling. I just wish my top was down so I could have given them a better wave.

After that, I wave to all Wranglers including the one who I pass everyday on the way to work and she never waves back.

Sponsored

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
Well I almost gave the one finger salute to a Jeep in traffic yesterday. Two lanes merging to one for construction and the order was I should have put myself between him and the car in front of him. But no. Instead the jerk gases it and doesn’t let me in. He really had to make an effort not to let me in. Hope he never gets a Jeep wave.

Dormamu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2022 Pacifica Hybrid, 1978 LandCruiser
This is our 3rd Wrangler and we’re running about 20% in NorCal. That’s down quite a bit from our previous experience...in our 2013 Rubicon AEV we got a lot of waves! Maybe the times? Maybe they liked that rig? We don’t get a lot of waves from women or older men. You can’t miss us in the bright green Rubi so they’re just not into it I guess.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I think with the increased amount of wranglers bought compared to ten years, or even five years ago contributes to the decrease in the Jeep wave “protocol.” We went from “It’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand,” to “It’s a Jeep thing, I want to understand. That’s why I paid 50k for my wrangler. Oh wait, you mean I have to wave to every other wrangler on the road? Was that in the fine print of my sales contract?”

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I think the whole Jeep Wave (and the Biker Wave, too) is a bit silly and narcissistic. This six-page-long thread makes it pretty self-evident.

Definition of narcissistic. : of, relating to, or characterized by narcissism: such as. a : extremely self-centered with an exaggerated sense of self-importance : marked by or characteristic of excessive admiration of or infatuation with oneself. a narcissistic personality.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I think the whole Jeep Wave (and the Biker Wave, too) is a bit silly and narcissistic. This six-page-long thread makes it pretty self-evident.

Definition of narcissistic. : of, relating to, or characterized by narcissism: such as. a : extremely self-centered with an exaggerated sense of self-importance : marked by or characteristic of excessive admiration of or infatuation with oneself. a narcissistic personality.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you wave now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you wave.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you wave now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you wave.
Hmm! I think I'll write letters to Miss Manners, Ann Landers and Dear Abby so I can get the low-down on proper Jeep wave etiquette. :bandit:

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 98 Trans Am, 07 G5 2018 jl ordered
I always try to wave. A lot of times I just forget to look. I'm training my wife & granddaughter to wave, just incase I forget. Just the other day I took a short 125 mile trip into southern Il. I was looking for Jeeps the whole way. Must of been a slow day for Jeeps, because I only saw 3, but all 3 waved.

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
I ALWAYS wave. The response varies here in RI. I probably get a return wave 60% of the time. Once in a great while, someone else will wave first or simultaneously, but I'm usually the first to offer. I'll also see if women wave less often as others have mentioned. Haven't noticed that yet, but I think it's probably true here, too.

My girls (ages 7 & 9) LOVE the Jeep wave (this is my first Wrangler). In fact, if their windows are down, they'll stick their hands out and wave, too. They get VERY upset when people don't wave back and often yell "SELL YOUR JEEP!!" from the backseat.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
NOVA here, 0% wave rate for female drivers so far, only had the jeep since march so time will tell.
Sad to hear... bout half of the waves I’ve gotten have been from females. The ones I get REALLY excited about is when its a rubi. Yes that is some internal bias of mine, but when I see one of those I think yes! That’s her rubi! Lol!