JL comfort if lifted

yeb

First Name
yehuda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
Hey guys, I'm new and excited to be here. For now I'm still the owner of a JK and about to get a new JL.I wonder about couple of things and love to hear your opinion. The JK is my only car and most of my trips are on road .The JL is famous for its comfort ride compared to the JK , so I am curious to know, if I install the mopar lift kit, how would it affect on the ride comfort . I also dont understand if a 2 inch lift kit for the JL is different from similar lift kit for the JK , because the JL is originaly lifted compared to the JK. hope i was clear enough and i thank in advance for your advice
Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I have nothing but good things to say about the Mopar 2' lift (except those crazy spring pads). My ride is great and wouldn't change a thing. Some here have ride quality issues that they claim is the E rated tires they installed. I have E rated Nitto's and no problem with the ride quality.

OP
OP

yeb

First Name
yehuda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
thanks, did you own a jk before

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
First I would say that the JL ride is similar to the JK model to model. Lifting alone has no real impact on the ride or comfort as you call it. The change in comfort comes from the stiffening of springs and/or shocks and the tire style you choose. Jeeps come with tires rated more closely to passenger tires than truck tires. Truck tires offer broader load ranges for hauling purposes. E load tires are a few steps stiffer than standard load tires and they will feel more firm. They have to by design.

Personally, I swapped my Sport S shocks and springs for Rubicon versions. That gave me a slightly higher lift and the firmer shocks do ride a bit stiffer but handling is much improved which is a trade off I'm ok with.

Last, stock JLs are not lifted higher than stock JKs. JL Rubicons come stock now with 33s instead of 31.5 tires so there is some stance difference there. They raised the front fenders higher too for better clearance but that doesn't make it taller.

Sponsored

OP
OP

yeb

First Name
yehuda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
First I would say that the JL ride is similar to the JK model to model. Lifting alone has no real impact on the ride or comfort as you call it. The change in comfort comes from the stiffening of springs and/or shocks and the tire style you choose. Jeeps come with tires rated more closely to passenger tires than truck tires. Truck tires offer broader load ranges for hauling purposes. E load tires are a few steps stiffer than standard load tires and they will feel more firm. They have to by design.

Personally, I swapped my Sport S shocks and springs for Rubicon versions. That gave me a slightly higher lift and the firmer shocks do ride a bit stiffer but handling is much improved which is a trade off I'm ok with.

Last, stock JLs are not lifted higher than stock JKs. JL Rubicons come stock now with 33s instead of 31.5 tires so there is some stance difference there. They raised the front fenders higher too for better clearance but that doesn't make it taller.
First, thanks a lot for your detailed answer. As for the ride comfort of the JL , I am surprised to learn that it is the same as the jk's as the impression i got of watching YouTube videos on JL was that there was a great improvement in the ride compared to the previous model. But that’s very interesting thing for me to know and I 'd love to read more opinions on that issue

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
First, thanks a lot for your detailed answer. As for the ride comfort of the JL , I am surprised to learn that it is the same as the jk's as the impression i got of watching YouTube videos on JL was that there was a great improvement in the ride compared to the previous model. But that’s very interesting thing for me to know and I 'd love to read more opinions on that issue
Yeb, I've seen the videos and you need to realize that the basic suspension and steering components are similar to the JK. That wont give you too different of a ride. Softer shocks maybe on some models but having owned two Jks in the past I wouldn't say they have a dramatic change in ride. Drive one for yourself when or if you decide to buy one. If it works for you, buy it. If you want a smooth ride, buy a Malibu.

Reactions: yeb

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the biggest difference when going to 35's and wider wheels. It is a little jouncier on choppy pavement do to the increase in unsprung weight. But with the Mopar lift handling is like stock but with better damping on bigger comprehensions. Body roll is about the same. Steering is the same. Offroad the ride is much improved after airing down. The slight increase in wheel travel combined with the relatively linear spring rate makes for the ability to travel faster and in more control.

Reactions: yeb

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
Lifted jeeps and comfort should never be in the same sentence...lol :facepalm::giggle:
I'd have to agree with @Luvmejeeps .......I get wanting a certain level of comfort. But buy a Ram then. Its a Jeep ......Buy the way I love the way mine rides

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
There area a few things that can help, but stock or lifted, the Jeep isn’t the most highway friendly vehicle because of aerodynamics and road noise. Tires can make this worse but also better if you run a little lower tire pressure. I remember going from stock tires to Duratracs on my 2011 Rubicon and it made it feel like a different Jeep. Lift quality impacts the ride too, and the lift will change the profile and this aerodynamics of the Jeep. Don’t skimp, get good shocks, and be mindful of overinflation of the tires and you’ll minimize the negatives.

I love the howl of mud tires running down the highway, and don’t mind a little stiffer ride because I know how that helps me off road.

Another good way to appreciate the ride is drive around with the doors and top off for a while then put everything on. It’s all relative!

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hey guys, I'm new and excited to be here. For now I'm still the owner of a JK and about to get a new JL.I wonder about couple of things and love to hear your opinion. The JK is my only car and most of my trips are on road .The JL is famous for its comfort ride compared to the JK , so I am curious to know, if I install the mopar lift kit, how would it affect on the ride comfort . I also dont understand if a 2 inch lift kit for the JL is different from similar lift kit for the JK , because the JL is originaly lifted compared to the JK. hope i was clear enough and i thank in advance for your advice
The JL rides great stock, and installing the Mopar 2" (feels/looks like a 3.5/4") adds the stiffer ride. I run the lift with 35s with 17X9, on Toyo rubber. The ride is stiffer on road but better off/bumps. I like it, as it is a Jeep and 4X4 and comfortable as such; you'll like the improvement. oh, it handles better also.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Unless you go extremely cheap on a lift...you'll get a close to stock ride via most of the better lifts (MOPAR would fall in there..they wouldn't sell something that would alter the ride greatly...that'd bad for business)

As mentioned above...sticking with C load tires helps as well. If you go aggressive mud terrains in an E load...well...expect to feel more bumps and a harsher ride. There's a reason Duratracs are a popular pick...they're fairly thin walled, comparatively, to other AT/MT tires...so they give a "softer" ride...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll tell you my experience. I've lifted dozens of Jeeps and trucks, and the ride ALWAYS gets more firm and stiff afterward. The reason? Geometry. If you increase the angle of control arms and suspension links, you are redirecting energy into the frame of the vehicle in larger proportions. For that reason, it is impossible for a Jeep to "ride like stock" with a lift kit. Ain't happnin'.

Now, how MUCH firmness you pick up depends solely upon how high you lift, whether you use control arm relocation brackets, spring rate (if you replace the coils), shocks, etc. Some kits ride better than others. But none of them will truly ride like stock.

On Wranglers, in particular, you also pick up more yawl when you lift. The reason for that is Wranglers use track bars (sometimes called panhard bars) and when you lift the vehicle these bars increase in angle and cause the axles to sit offset under the Jeep (the axle end is connected at different ends front to rear). So, when you hit dips in the roadway it tries to twist the Jeep a bit. It very much feels like being on an airplane and hitting a patch of turbulence. Sometimes it can be very noticeable and uncomfortable. Other times you can get used to it.

All of this is NOT to say that a lift kit will make your Jeep horrible. All I'm saying is, there is no way it will ride like stock unless it is stock. Be careful reading advertising.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
There are a few things that make the biggest difference to me in how it rides. With the comfort you are referring to the biggest thing is probably the tuning of the suspension components and the larger tires. You can have softer or firmer shocks, and of course when you step up to some of the expensive options you can get a very good ride and even have the ability to adjust with the twist of a knob. When lifting you typically put on larger tires, which means more sidewall to absorb impacts, but once again depending on what the tire is designed for and the air pressure being run you will get different results. The next thing that changes with a lift is the center of gravity, which may not impact comfort, but changes the way it handles when not going straight.
Sponsored