Sponsored

It is a guarantee they will get around to building every order?

Claptovaughn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door 6-Speed
This is my first time ordering a vehicle (and it's turned out being a pretty shitty experience thus far), and as such, the first time I've really followed the process of it.

Historically, has Jeep (or any car manufacturer) ever just stopped building orders past a certain date for the model year? If so, what happens to those orders? Are they canceled or are they shifted over to the next model year (which would be tricky depending on price/option/feature changes)?

According to my salesman, my order dated mid August (which was a cloned vin from an older order from July 2 that was stuck in I status for a month) is set to build in mid October. As ridiculous as the delay sounds by itself, it brings to question whether or not they'll even be building 2018's anymore at that point.

I can't imagine what I'm going to feel like, if after all this wait, I end up getting nothing.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Claptovaughn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's a cloned VIN?
If an order is stuck in a particular stage for too long (for me it was "I" or inspection stage), they will create a duplicate order which is issued a new vin number and starts the process over from the beginning.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In some situations they have pushed an order to the next model year. I can't find a specific reference right now but I know it has occurred.

BlackSaharaJLU

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sahara JLU (hers) '15 Silverado LT (mine)
Ours was ordered in mid-August and was somehow built a week later. Unfortunately, it has been sitting in 'I' status since then.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So why don't they generate a VIN after the order is ready to ship, instead of as soon as the order is made?

BlackSaharaJLU

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sahara JLU (hers) '15 Silverado LT (mine)
So why don't they generate a VIN after the order is ready to ship, instead of as soon as the order is made?
Definitely a reasonable question since the VON could be used to track the vehicle through the build process.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Definitely a reasonable question since the VON could be used to track the vehicle through the build process.
...because the VIN has to be etched in the vehicle itself during the build.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
...because the VIN has to be etched in the vehicle itself during the build.
So then what do you do when you've already etched the VIN into a vehicle and then go and build another one with the same VIN?

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
If an order is stuck in a particular stage for too long (for me it was "I" or inspection stage), they will create a duplicate order which is issued a new vin number and starts the process over from the beginning.

So then what do you do when you've already etched the VIN into a vehicle and then go and build another one with the same VIN?
The cloned order has a new VIN. They don’t duplicate VINs. The question is what happens to the old order/VIN? For example, my 6/8 order was cloned in early August due to an “issue with the build.” However, my original order/VIN is on its way to the dealer and my cloned order is stuck in D1 status.

Sponsored

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
In some situations they have pushed an order to the next model year. I can't find a specific reference right now but I know it has occurred.
I wouldn't be happy about this, especially if they expected me to pay the 2019 price increases.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't be happy about this, especially if they expected me to pay the 2019 price increases.
If you order correctly you get price protection. You should get a signed bill of sale with your order.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did you choose some sort of option like a tan soft top? What is the hold up?

OP
OP

Claptovaughn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you choose some sort of option like a tan soft top? What is the hold up?
Rubicon
Red
2 door
Manual transmission
LED lights

That's it. No other options. So maybe the LEDs? I have no idea.

epd313

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2019 Genesis G90
Occupation
Retired
Rubicon
Red
2 door
Manual transmission
LED lights

That's it. No other options. So maybe the LEDs? I have no idea.
It could be the LED's there was a hold up on them earlier, but I think they got that cleared up. I ordered 8/11 and just went to paint, so I will how long it takes from this point...
Sponsored