Sponsored

Jeep Wave Etiquette

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Sorry, I only wave at Rubicons. Sports aren't worthy

The other person probably has no clue about the wave. Jeep has brought in a lot of new customers and many are probably not well versed in the history of all things Jeep like those here on the forums
Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I keep waving even tho the rate of returns at times is pretty sad. Doesn't matter if male or female, I get the same ratio of returned or missed.

OP
OP

dcarey13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
It's still a thing and your doing it right! Maybe the people that aren't waving back are new Jeep owner's or the driver just didn't notice you.I usually don't wave but just stick up the two fingers holding the steering wheel. Unless the doors are off then I stick my hand out with a piece sign.

Keep on Waving! :handsinair:
Ok - at least I'm not totally crazy. Thanks!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

dcarey13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
No apologies required @VolCntry73 Tim. From what I can glean, as a tried and true NYer, it is, sadly (I say for my locale) something with a regional component associated with it.

I wave. I mean in warmer weather I'm apt to throw out and initiate a visible peace sign through the driver's side window so it's not like it's not visible. Rarely do I get one back..and that's okay...it's a treat when I do. Nobody forces me to do it, I don't consider reciprocity a requirement.

But I do believe, based on other posts I've read here that--how can I say this and still be politically correct, people are just more manners oriented in Tennessee that downstate NY.

That comment is painted in broad strokes. There are many nice people by me, and I am sure, just like in any population center, some bad apples in Tennessee.

Maybe people by me are too worried about crime, maybe people by you are more indoctrinated with faith and kindness going part in parcel with each other.

I just don't know.
Agree with these sentiments, as I am also in Westchester (northern). I actually bought the Wrangler across the river in Orange county - about 90 mins from where I am - and as I said I was struck by all the waves I got on the way back from the purchase. Thinking about it now, they were mostly "over there", not so much here. Ah well. I'll keep waving. Appreciate the comments!

Sponsored

V1k1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Wrangler Sport
I've noticed I get more waves out on country roads. When I take the jeep into the city for work it seems like no one waves.

OP
OP

dcarey13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Only as crazy as the rest of us Jeeples.
Ha!! Good point.

Surprised you don't have a better hit rate in VT. My folks live up there now so I'm up quite a bit. I would have thought there was a nice hardcore Jeep population up there.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
In my experience, the only people who don't wave back are mostly oblivious to oncoming traffic. That is, they don't see another Wrangler and so they don't know or expect the wave. I've never had somebody that I know saw me wave, not wave back. And I'm guilty too; I've had my son in the back seat tell me, "Hey, that guy waved at you, why didn't you wave back?!" and it's because I didn't see them.

And when I'm in cottage country (small town village) -- everybody waves regardless of the vehicle, even when walking!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Ha!! Good point.

Surprised you don't have a better hit rate in VT. My folks live up there now so I'm up quite a bit. I would have thought there was a nice hardcore Jeep population up there.
Some days I get a pretty good return rate, other days not. Nothing consistent. The only consistent I've had so far is one dude in a modified Jeep NEVER waves. My stock Rubi is unworthy.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Sorry, I only wave at Rubicons. Sports aren't worthy.
I don't know if you're being serious about this or not, but if even if you're not, I'm sure there are others here that feel that way.

I drive a Sport, it does what I need it to do, and I'm not suffering from "Rubicon Envy."

As far as the wave goes, I'll wave to anybody on trails, just like I was raised to do, I'll return a wave to anybody that waves at me, but I won't initiate a Jeep wave because of attitudes like this.

And I grew up in the back seat of a Jeep with my Dad waving at other Jeeps before I had any idea it was a "thing."

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I don't know if you're being serious about this or not, but if even if you're not, I'm sure there are others here that feel that way.

I drive a Sport, it does what I need it to do, and I'm not suffering from "Rubicon Envy."

As far as the wave goes, I'll wave to anybody on trails, just like I was raised to do, I'll return a wave to anybody that waves at me, but I won't initiate a Jeep wave because of attitudes like this.

And I grew up in the back seat of a Jeep with my Dad waving at other Jeeps before I had any idea it was a "thing."
Its going to be ok. Take a deep breath, count to ten, and repeat after me. My jeep is not inferior, my jeep is not inferior

I don't even have a Jeep at the moment and my previous one was a Sport that went everywhere I needed it to, and most places it shouldn't have been

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I'm at about 50/50 with it trending down lately.

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For me i find stock jeeps with ladies driving, I do not get many waves. But male drivers i would say 80 % wave back.
Also notice the more mods the jeep has the better chance of a wave.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I also find that whenever a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model is driving a Wrangler in the opposite direction to me I always get a wave and smile initiated……

….and then my alarm clock goes off;)
Same here. but mine are with Christine Brinkley in a JEEP ;) similar to

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I taught my wife about the Wave and she got the bird the first time out of the gate. Needless to say she won't be waving to anyone anymore. pretty sad really, she is an awesome woman...
Sponsored