Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Watch that air line. I actually changed mine out for steel braided teflon. After a long day of wheeling the engine bay got really hot. When I went to air up that plastic airline just blew a hole right in it by the ARB. Luckily other folks had a compressor so no biggie. I went to a hose store and got some good stuff. Shouldn't happen again.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine are being delivered on Friday =) did you get the LED light and the door delete kit as well?
Congrats you will love them. The short answer is no. I am trying a $7.99 led light strip solution first before I do the $70 solution. I also figured I would just shut off the steps if/when I go doorless. That is not often for me.

Sponsored

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Watch that air line. I actually changed mine out for steel braided teflon. After a long day of wheeling the engine bay got really hot. When I went to air up that plastic airline just blew a hole right in it by the ARB. Luckily other folks had a compressor so no biggie. I went to a hose store and got some good stuff. Shouldn't happen again.
I have a steel braided line coming off of the ARB, then it transfers to the plastic high temp air lines. It was the same setup on my jk, but we shall see the next time I hit the trail. Where did you move your lines to?

IMG_20180828_164432593_HDR.jpg

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I added LED lights to my steps. So RSE sells a kit for $70. Being cheap I decided to give this a go myself first.

So I bought these lights for $7.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ3O0J8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I went and got 2 new connectors like in the pic for $4.09 as that was easy to match the LEDs connector then the RSE connector.

Took me about an hour because I was measuring, cutting, crimping etc and wanted it perfect. End result is awesome and was only $12. $58 worth of beer tonight ;-)

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking good. just used double stick?
No the stuff I bought and posted already had the tape on. Also water proof. Just peel and stick. You can cut the lights to the correct lenghth as well.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
No the stuff I bought and posted already had the tape on. Also water proof. Just peel and stick. You can cut the lights to the correct lenghth as well.
I have used this on my f-150 but I also put dabs of silicone every now and then to help hold it long term

Sponsored

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
I have a steel braided line coming off of the ARB, then it transfers to the plastic high temp air lines. It was the same setup on my jk, but we shall see the next time I hit the trail. Where did you move your lines to?

IMG_20180828_164432593_HDR.jpg
That's an interesting mounting location. Is that an actual sold bracket or did you fabricate it yourself?

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
I added LED lights to my steps. So RSE sells a kit for $70. Being cheap I decided to give this a go myself first.

So I bought these lights for $7.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ3O0J8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I went and got 2 new connectors like in the pic for $4.09 as that was easy to match the LEDs connector then the RSE connector.

Took me about an hour because I was measuring, cutting, crimping etc and wanted it perfect. End result is awesome and was only $12. $58 worth of beer tonight ;-)
Very well done sir!!!! Installed my step and light over the weekend and it looks great!. It took me longer than I expected, though. The only thing I have left to install is that the door delete kit. I'm still debating where I want to mount the buttons.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Nice build and good job on tackling many of these projects yourself. Admit tingly a bit jealous as i don't have the confidence or space to do it. Rather pay someone who can do it right the first time etc. Somewhat similar builds on my white JLU .
Should have my RSE steps in next week along with the Cool Tech CB mounts and hand held unit.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice build and good job on tackling many of these projects yourself. Admit tingly a bit jealous as i don't have the confidence or space to do it. Rather pay someone who can do it right the first time etc. Somewhat similar builds on my white JLU .
Should have my RSE steps in next week along with the Cool Tech CB mounts and hand held unit.
@Lar Thanks for the comments. I will tell you so far everything has been fairly simple. On a scale of 1 to 10 I am about a 2-3 as a mechanic. I can however read and follow directions and that is what I have done. So far no real special tools have been needed. I do not have many power tools in terms of ratchet etc so all by hand and that is what takes longer. Being "done right" well that I guess time will tell. I hope I am doing it right.

I will tell you the next task of a lift I will not do. I have watched a lot of youtube and just think that is outside my capability. The smaller projects so far have been all manageable with the provided directions and a few YT videos. Enjoy your build.
Sponsored