Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
You seem pretty knowledgeable about this setup.

Question.

The passenger side axle is split in half with splines and connected by a collar as shown above to join the two halves together. Are the two halves of the axle spinning in opposite directions when disconnected?

If you spin the driver side wheel forward, this causes the internal diff gears to spin the passenger side axle the opposite direction while the passenger front tire and other half of the axle is spinning forward.

So that collar is also spinning and has to "catch" the splines of the other axles while it's spinning in the opposite direction.

Is this correct?
Haha, I've honestly never given it that much thought, as far as the shafts spinning in opposite directions, but yeah, I guess they would be. The same basic design was used on the old YJ Wranglers, and early XJ Cherokees. No one was really a fan of it back then, mainly because it was vacuum operated and the vacuum system wasn't exactly reliable. There was a company that came out with a cable-operated unit that could be swapped on, giving you manual control over the disconnect (see link in Jeepsterfreak's post).

RAM HD trucks have used a 'modern' version since 2013, with the current iteration being electric instead of vacuum operated. Given that it's essentially hand-me-down tech from the RAM HDs now, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Thanks for the info, one more question, does this add more sets of bearings and races to those shaft ends on each side of the disconnect?

I would guess there will be an aftermarket solid axle response to this pretty quick. Not that there is anything wrong with it per say, but I would personally like to throw that out and do a solid shaft upgrade to the Rubicon.
Technically yes, there are more bearings in this setup.

One-piece shaft conversions are/were pretty common on those old vac-disco D30s. I'm sure it'll be the same with the JL, especially since it seems it'll be a simple software setting to disable it. The handy thing on the old D30s was that later/newer non-disconnect axles used the same base axle housing, so the newer one-piece RH axle shafts were a direct swap to the old vac-disco axle housings, you just needed to swap/install an inner seal at the diff if I remember right.
Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Finally. Photos of the Sport S interior. I can sleep a little easier (I ordered the electronics package, safety package and 6spd) as this will be what mine will look like. I like the silver. Looks kind of brushed metal silver color.
Anyone else notice the front “skid plate” looks more like an attempt at aerodynamics?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It’ll be interesting to see if the mounting points are the same for the ACE RockRails. I have had a few, including a pair on the A-X and would love to just move them to the JLU, but I have a feeling with the new dimensions that the bolts may no longer line-up.

Not a big issue, but makes it easier to remove and replace the same day you buy the new Wrangler than ordering new rails and waiting (sometimes can take a while).

OP
OP
Izzy901

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
It’ll be interesting to see if the mounting points are the same for the ACE RockRails. I have had a few, including a pair on the A-X and would love to just move them to the JLU, but I have a feeling with the new dimensions that the bolts may no longer line-up.

Not a big issue, but makes it easier to remove and replace the same day you buy the new Wrangler than ordering new rails and waiting (sometimes can take a while).
Call them but I'm guessing not. They've already posted JL specific rockrails on their FB and on their website so I'm guessing not.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, seeing as how the JL has fewer cross-members and different frame dimensions I'd say that bolting on JK rails is a no-go.

As far as the axle disconnect, it's just a stupid addition that creates headaches later down the road and does nothing whatsoever for real world fuel economy. I remember the days of fixing the system on my YJ, and the electrically actuated system on the GM trucks was no better. Mine failed DURING a snowstorm once...how convenient!

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yeah, seeing as how the JL has fewer cross-members and different frame dimensions I'd say that bolting on JK rails is a no-go.

As far as the axle disconnect, it's just a stupid addition that creates headaches later down the road and does nothing whatsoever for real world fuel economy. I remember the days of fixing the system on my YJ, and the electrically actuated system on the GM trucks was no better. Mine failed DURING a snowstorm once...how convenient!
I remember reading problems with the Rubicon front sway bar disconnect motor failing from water exposure. Not sure how widespread that problem is. Might a similar problem occur with the FAD motor on the JL?

Hopefully the aftermarket will supply a solution to keep the front axle permanently connected. Would there be any harm in doing so? It would just act as the JK does now allowing the front drive shaft to spin unless it somehow harms the TC.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I have had 2 JKUR's and the sway bar disconnect failed on both of them. Off Road Evolution has a systems too repair them. An manual one and a air system. I was reading one of the forums and the FAD can be shut off at dealership and a regular axle shaft can be installed. I would bet that RCV will have a kit too delete it. RCV's are super strong. That's what I will do when it becomes available

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
FWIW, I've had two JKURs and neither had issues with the swaybar disconnect system.

Like rcr1340 mentioned, rumor has it that the dealership will be able to disable the axle disconnect system and leave it permanently locked. I wouldn't be surprised if that's something you'll be able to do via a programmer/tuner too, like a Superchips Flashpaq or AEV Procal. There'd be no harm in having it locked all the time, or swapping to a one-piece shaft.

edit: I just talked to a friend who's a Jeep/Dodge tech and has taken some FCA training on the JL and he said that so far there's been nothing [yet?] about disabling the CAD system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Izzy901

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
They just posted. Quoted directly from them: "Today we're running 35s on the JL. No lift, no rubbing, no problems!"

BA26B2FA-5627-4B1B-A0A0-FA846AE54C21.jpeg

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
That is impressive! I wonder how the ride quality is though on the stock suspension running those? Compared to an actual lift kit.

Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Why does the first JL have to go to those who will throw obnoxiously large and distasteful wheels on it? :facepalm:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt the ride is nearly as good as stock. In my experience tire choice has as much(If not more) of an effect on ride quality as spring/shock options. I've installed plenty of lift kits that rode like stock until the customer put on their 20" Wheels with E-Rated 35's at 50psi.
I had those coopers in a 35x12.50r15 on my 2dr JK, but they were C-Rated and had a fairly nice ride for a MT(Running at 25-28psi)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They just posted. Quoted directly from them: "Today we're running 35s on the JL. No lift, no rubbing, no problems!"

BA26B2FA-5627-4B1B-A0A0-FA846AE54C21.jpeg
That's great news! However, I'm really wondering if the no rubbing means full articulation. That looks like a mall crawler set of wheels/tires. Let's see it flex. What it does tell me, though, is that when my Rubicon comes in, I need to drive straight over to Discount Tire and throw 35's on it, and move it's 33's over to my JK, which just happens to need new tires right about now. :like: I'll decide later if I want to throw the 2" lift on it. I probably will do the Mopar lift, to keep my dealer happy to honor the warranty.

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
Why does the first JL have to go to those who will throw obnoxiously large and distasteful wheels on it? :facepalm:
We don't have enough clearance yet to throw the Treps & Methods on, but at some point we will. In the meantime we had these at the shop and they fit the bill to test out the 35s.

IMG_5959.JPG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
We don't have enough clearance yet to throw the Treps & Methods on, but at some point we will. In the meantime we had these at the shop and they fit the bill to test out the 35s.

IMG_5959.JPG
Is that JLU Sport actually one you ordered, or is it one Jeep provided to you? I ask because many of us are waiting for orders and are looking for deliveries to start. Yours would be the first confirmed customer delivery.

Also, will you be making a Lava Jacket adapter for the JL? That's honestly one of my favorite accessories I have for my JK!

Thanks!
Sponsored