Sponsored

For us who want information on the Sport S, Ace Engineering got theirs in

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My guess is it's standard across the board. Every spy photo where the front axle housing is visible has a visible CAD housing. It's possible that they were all Rubicon mules, but I think it's more likely that the CAD is standard on all models.
Would that be the housing indicated by the yellow pointer?

cad.jpg
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Silver dash. I actually prefer the silver of any of the options. Silver with black seats.

787FCE18-6D50-42B5-9CC5-45400100730B.jpeg

45ECE751-AAF8-4355-AB80-2C3572F1A2AA.jpeg
Shouldn't their Sport S have s leather-wrapped steering wheel?

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
My guess is it's standard across the board. Every spy photo where the front axle housing is visible has a visible CAD housing. It's possible that they were all Rubicon mules, but I think it's more likely that the CAD is standard on all models.
I can confirm that the CAD is also on Sahara models. So yeah, I'd say it's standard across the board.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I can confirm that the CAD is also on Sahara models. So yeah, I'd say it's standard across the board.
So I'm guessing it is similar to the YJ using a split front passenger side axle, collar and yoke but uses electronic motor instead of vacuum to move the collar to join the split axles. This system was absent on TJ and JK....correct?

I'm sure it's fine, but just seems like one more system to fail.

I mean what's the purpose....to save mpg?

Seriously? The mpg ratings barely increased even with the new 8 speed tranny, lighter frame and more aerodynamic windshield and let's not forget the Sport front bumper fender inserts.

I suppose it saves wear and tear on the pinion/ring gears, front drive shaft and TC input, but it certainly puts more wear on the diff gears since they are always spinning in 2WD.

disconnect.jpg

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes to all questions.

FWIW, the same basic system is used on the RAM HDs, including the Power Wagon, and has been in use for many years.

Reactions: mln

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For those of us that never dealt with a similar CAD setup....does this automatically engages when you drop into 4H?, and does this affect shifting on the fly at all? Typically I do not shift on the fly regardless if a manuf. says you can or not....just seems like bad business mashing gears together that are already moving.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those of us that never dealt with a similar CAD setup....does this automatically engages when you drop into 4H?, and does this affect shifting on the fly at all? Typically I do not shift on the fly regardless if a manuf. says you can or not....just seems like bad business mashing gears together that are already moving.
Yes, it's automatic when you shift into/out of 4WD. As far as mashing gears together that are already moving, it's no different than engaging your t'case, or engaging your lockers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yes, it's automatic when you shift into/out of 4WD. As far as mashing gears together that are already moving, it's no different than engaging your t'case, or engaging your lockers.
You seem pretty knowledgeable about this setup.

Question.

The passenger side axle is split in half with splines and connected by a collar as shown above to join the two halves together. Are the two halves of the axle spinning in opposite directions when disconnected?

If you spin the driver side wheel forward, this causes the internal diff gears to spin the passenger side axle the opposite direction while the passenger front tire and other half of the axle is spinning forward.

So that collar is also spinning and has to "catch" the splines of the other axles while it's spinning in the opposite direction.

Is this correct?

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, one more question, does this add more sets of bearings and races to those shaft ends on each side of the disconnect?

I would guess there will be an aftermarket solid axle response to this pretty quick. Not that there is anything wrong with it per say, but I would personally like to throw that out and do a solid shaft upgrade to the Rubicon.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks for the info, one more question, does this add more sets of bearings and races to those shaft ends on each side of the disconnect?

I would guess there will be an aftermarket solid axle response to this pretty quick. Not that there is anything wrong with it per say, but I would personally like to throw that out and do a solid shaft upgrade to the Rubicon.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0904-dana-30-vacume-disconnect/

D30DiscJeepDiag(1).jpg
Sponsored