Sponsored

Comparison pics of JL vs JK Wrangler Rubicon

kiwi

Threads
Reaction score
How can anyone ever debate the JK is better than the JL which ticks so many of the correct boxes. I've been waiting for the new JL for 10 years. Now I have to wait another year until we see RHD JL Rubicon diesel to land in New Zealand.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr Knowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SG Forester
Not liking those body color fenders in the Rubicon.

Trying to decide between Sport S and Rubicon...looking more and more like the Rubicon.
I would not call these flendars since the painted version is metal.
The Flares/fenders/flenders on both JK's and JL are plastic- even the "painted" ones. According to ordering docs, they're molded in color.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, for some reason at least from my standpoint any Wrangler with body colored fenders has never been a true Wrangler.
Color-matched hard tops are a crime against humanity. Contrast is the spice of life.
I agree with you guys, I have never been a fan of the paint matched fenders or top. Its not that its bad or anything, it just takes away from the Wrangler IMO. It makes it look like any other boxy SUV on the market, which again is not necessarily bad.....just I dunno...mall rated I guess.

Not to say there is any other boxy SUV that resembles a wrangler, it is still one of a kind....but you get the idea....similarities....that boxy Mercedes thing, boxy land rovers, 4 runners, etc.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen a few of you guys say that, but that is not true. Every Jeep in history has not had color matched fenders, only a few options exsisted until recently. Paint match hard tops were never a factory Jeep thing until the JK redesign in 2011.

JK - it was an up-charge option much like it is now
TJ/LJ - Only for the Sahara trim
YJ - (now we get into flat fenders that WERE paint matched out to the body line) but again the flares were black
CJ 8/7/5 (same as YJ, flat fender was painted out to match the body line but the flare was black
Willys - yes the whole thing was olive drab painted

The only single known exception to all of this was Jeeps specifically designed for mail carrying. They had white painted tops and fenders (including flares too).

The JK was the first designed Jeep that brought the entire (front) fender and flare outside of the body line. So im not arguing with you about that, sure paint matching that kind of makes me get how it resembles a CJ paint matched flat fender....but its still just a flare.

People will probably bash me saying tomato ~ t-o-mato but its a big difference to say a JK/JL fender is the same as a CJ...flat fenders with flares extending the body line vs just flares.

Its really just personal opinion

1976-Jeep-CJ-7-Classic Trucks--Car-100874100-a04b51db1e51ebda28f64cfdebb0ae4a.jpg
jk-wrangler.jpg

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
My TJ sport had painted fender and then some black flare (not sure I am using terms correctly). But is was partially painted and then black. The JL with painted flares and then black edging reminds me of my TJ. I think the designers intended this connection to prior jeeps like a lot of the JL design cues. I plan to order painted fenders because it reminds me of my TJ. And will order black top for same reasons.

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My TJ sport had painted fender and then some black flare (not sure I am using terms correctly). But is was partially painted and then black. The JL with painted flares and then black edging reminds me of my TJ. I think the designers intended this connection to prior jeeps like a lot of the JL design cues. I plan to order painted fenders because it reminds me of my TJ. And will order black top for same reasons.
I see your point, the flat fender on a TJ was not as extreme as the YJ (parking lifhts being jammed in i guess) and CJ but yea it was painted out to the body line as well, then the flare popped out. I do see your point though, the JL is a lot different than the JK in that regard. The JK was an entire paint matched flare all the way out and down...the JL has that black line out at the end like you said, kind of like it is paying tribute in a way.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Agree...love that grill.

How can anyone ever debate the JK is better than the JL which ticks so many of the correct boxes. I've been waiting for the new JL for 10 years. Now I have to wait another year until we see RHD JL Rubicon diesel to land in New Zealand.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw Cavenders in the background. That's Texas Dodge on I-40

Sponsored

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary

Good side by side of a Rubi JL and a Rubi JK, not even close!
The JK Rubicon never looked good to me stock, it has the sport bumpers, plain hood it left a lot to be desired..and it was pricey! Hardrocks/recons is what the standard jk rubicon should have been IMO. The JL corrected those issues though.
Sponsored