Waiting for diesel?

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
My BMW wagon has a $1,500 diesel option that raises the estimated mileage from 33 to 40 for similarly-sized engines. Is it reasonable to expect that such a powerful diesel in the Wrangler could achieve a near 50-percent improvement? I'm not sure you could push a Wrangler off a cliff and get 33 MPG.
Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I do not know how much it will cost the diesel engine but it will stay within the normal level of the market.

For me yes it is worth waiting for and it is a good opportunity to see there are issues on the JL or the like.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I do not know how much it will cost the diesel engine but it will stay within the normal level of the market.

For me yes it is worth waiting for and it is a good opportunity to see there are issues on the JL or the like.
Who knows what it will ultimately be but while it was available in the Grand Cherokee it was ~$5K option. It hit pretty impressive MPG number in the GC but that's a much more aerodynamic vehicle than the Wrangler - but I'd still expect it to substantially exceed either the V6 or the I4. For those that run the numbers on time to payback, yeah, it would probably be a very long time for most drivers but the intangibles (beyond the impressive torque numbers) would include, IMO, the extended range with the smallish fuel tank on the Wrangler. If it's $5K on the Wrangler I'd do it.

Edited to add this is for NA market and recognizing that Ahmed's market gets different powertrain components.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Since I think I’m going to wait for the Scrambler, then I might as well wait for the diesel. By then, maybe we’ll have feedback on how this newest generation of EcoDiesels are doing

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I have a TJ and a daily driver VW Golf TDI (Turbo Diesel). The TDI sees 50 MPG highway, has 300,000 miles, and has so many less issues than my Jeep. I basically just change the oil every 10k miles, replace the brakes when they wear, timing belt every 100,000 miles, and other misc. parts as needed.

I go through vehicles very quickly (Usually 1-2 years max before I get bored of a vehicle), but have had this VW (My only VW and only diesel) since February 2004. I'm hooked on diesel & cannot wait for the JLU diesel to be available for orders! I honestly feel having a diesel Wrangler, that sees a "discussed" 33 MPG highway, is the absolutely perfect road trip vehicle.

-Rick
I think exactly like you do! Give me a 30 MPG plus Jeep that has some guts, and I'll finally be satisfied with a vehicle!

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I'm waiting for the diesel as I've never owned one, but have rented plenty. It would've been nice to have a manual with the diesel too. I'm guessing the diesel will get 28-29MPG. We'll see.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
I'm waiting on the Diesel. Hemi Torque, Penstar hp, and extended range/mpg. I mostly use my Jeep for short trips around town and long highway to the trails in California. That extra torque might eliminate the need to regear for 37s.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
I'll wait for the 3.0 and get it in a 4 door.
I'm married to my 2 door and the only thing it's missing is a bigger motor and tranny.
Love to be able to have a 3.0 put in my 2014 Rubi X, would be pretty close to perfect for me.

hayasa

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I get about 25 real world mpg in my Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel but is rated at 22 city and 30 highway, so I am right there in the middle. If I set it in Eco mode, it gets a little better but is sluggish off the line. I'd venture to guess that the JL Wrangler will be right around the same since the Grand Cherokee is more aerodynamic than the Wrangler but is also a little heavier. The Wrangler will also have start/stop which mine does not have, so it might get a few more mpg.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Yep, I’ve been waiting since 1986 for a diesel Jeep, what’s another year?

Sponsored

nclion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Rubicon Recon
Absolutely waiting, but will definitely be getting one ASAP as soon as they are available for order in 2019. Enjoying my jk recon for the time being.....

EARL99208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JK or JL owner
What a dilemma.......decisions, decisions.

I really want to wait and intrigued by having a ecodiesel in a wrangler but I really like the new JL.....not so sure that I can wait till the diesel is available.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Even if I didn't want the diesel, I'd still wait for Jeep to fix the quirks, the aftermarket to start supplying parts, and the hardcore community to find the weak spots.

The Diesel price up-charge wouldn't be so bad if it includes the cost of the 8spd auto.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
100% waiting .... you couldn't pay me to get the V6 again.

Also since I'm waiting on the Scrambler no reason not to wait.