Wait, this isn't the mall. Saharas off road

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Let see some Saharas off the pavement!!!

Yesterday I drove with my top off for the first time. I had just finished my making some adjustments to my hoist install, so I wanted to take the top off to retest. Since it was off I decided to go for a drive. Without having anywhere in mind I figured why not take my Jeep off the pavement for the first time too.
I didn't do any serious wheeling, or anything like that, but it's now been topless and off road. That's a good day.
I found a nearby trail and went for a drive. The trail is basically an old access trail by a local lake. It's gravel in some parts, but in others is just a trail between the trees. More than anything it's just a hilly rough path through the woods, but enough that it was fun. According to my EVIC, the steepest grade was 8° while the roll was showing 3°. It sure felt a lot steeper than that from seat, but doing this a vehicle so small is new to me (I've had Rams off road many times).
I didn't get a lot of photos, because it was just me and my wife. I know, never off-road alone. My excuse to myself is that this wasn't really "off-roading" and I have a friend about 10 minutes away with a heavily modified Jeep who could have come bailed us out (this "trail" would probably bore him so I didn't call to see if he'd want to come along).
Anyway, back to the point. I was thinking about Wranglers in general, as I was doing this. People joke all the time about the Sahara being a mall crawler, and for the most part they're probably right. This was likely the most extreme thing my Jeep will see. However, I know guys/gals out there, are doing much more than this with the Sahara. Heck, with as fun as that was I may start looking at other trails (with a friend along this time).
So lets see these mall crawlers off the asphalt. Here's a few photos I did manage to take to get things started.
1st trip off pavement (3) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (5) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (11) resize.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
And to give another look at the "trial', here's 2 shots I took when we took my wife's Grand Cherokee down it a few years ago.

16 7-1 3 resize.jpg

16 7-1 15 resize.jpg

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
No pictures of the jeep, but we took it on a trail today to do a hike. Also today k the freedom panels off, but I didn't have time to get the hoist done to get the top all th way off. Beautiful area and love my jeep!

20180901_135511.jpg

20180901_134615.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Holy crap D-Mo, you had that thing loaded down, and went splashing through the waves/dunes. Nice.
I knew there were people taking them off the pavement in a more extreme manner than I did. :D

Keep the photos and stories coming guys/gals. We may have the luxury Wranglers, but that doesn't mean we can't play too.

PS. Tfom, most of my off road use will be exactly what yours was. Accessing a trailhead, campsite or maybe even a hunting spot. I do most of my wandering on foot, but some times you've got to drive off road a bit to get where you plan to hike.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
They're definitely capable. They just seem less likely to be used to their potential since people who buy a Wrangler planning to do a lot of off-roading will usually buy a Rubicon or Sport. I was just hoping to see some photos of the Sahara having fun. Well that and to get a conversation going, which we seem to have gotten both started.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Was going to post some videos here from last weekend, but it said no to mp4. I have to link out to videos I'm assuming...

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Was going to post some videos here from last weekend, but it said no to mp4. I have to link out to videos I'm assuming...
That's what Youtube is for.

Firstwave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 2018 Mazda CX9
I bought my Sahara more for off pavement than off road. I tried Black Bear Pass above Telluride 2 weeks ago but have more fun exploring back roads. I just can't get into driving on a narrow ledge with 1000 foot drop offs and 2 way traffic although I totally understand the people that love that sort of thing.
20180829_141645.jpg
20180830_143429.jpg
20180830_142403.jpg

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Wow Dave, those are some gorgeous photos.
Living in Ohio, we're considered a MidWest state, though my area of the state is technically within the piedmont (foothills) of the Appalachian Mountains. To get any photos like yours, I've got to drive a good bit east into PA to get to the ridge/valley area. We make the trip from time to time since that's where my wife is from. We're planning a trip again soon, but it sounds like she wants to take the Renegade so I doubt I'll get any mountain pics with the Sahara. Bummer, because they look great.

Ooo, now I'm intrigued. Post a link if you can't upload them, I'd like to see them.
Sponsored