Sponsored

The devil's choice: To diesel or to manual

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The manual transmission era is closing. This might be the last time you can get a vehicle you like with one. That's why I'm getting a stick - might be the last time I have the choice when buying new.
On top of that, I like the idea of having an incredibly modern vehicle that is loaded with technology, yet still boasts a manual transmission. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm still waiting to see reviews of it, though. My biggest complaint with the JK's manual (aside from Mopar's awful TOBs) was how noisy it was. When you installed a lift and put the stock DS at a funky angle, you could literally hear its pain and suffering through the transmission (when it wasn't rattling all over the damn place).

I don't care about the shorter throws or reverse being on the top left. I just don't want to hear the damn thing. If it's smooth and quiet, I'm sold.
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
To me the diesel isn't even in the running. First, I'm sure the diesel will be a premium option only available on the Sahara and Rubicon Unlimited. Then, the price, if an auto is $2,000 and the 2.0 Auto is $3,500 then I'm guessing $4,500+ for the diesel on top of the $40-50,000 of the JLU. Second, the average price of diesel here is $3.50 a gallon vs $2.80 for unleaded. The fuel economy and extra grunt aren't worth it for me.

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
...First, I'm sure the diesel will be a premium option only available on the Sahara and Rubicon Unlimited....
That's my biggest fear, and what mind end up driving me to a Sport S with the 3.6L after waiting all these years for a diesel :(

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Buy diesel if this is what your would like. It was VW group of companies who almost destroyed the diesel industry by cheating. Both my wife and myself said we would stay with manuals until Jeep gave us a Grand Cherokee diesel to take 4x4 driving as well our purchase of a BMW 8 speed. I hoping Jeeps JL 8 speed is a great drive.
I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited V6 with FCA's 8 speed auto, and my wife has a 2014 BMW X3 4 cyl. with their Aisin 8 speed auto. I have driven both of these vehicles around 17K miles each. Both of these transmissions work very and shift very smoothly in fully automatic mode, and are OK to use in their "manual shift" modes.

But, even in their "manual" modes, I really don't like driving automatics (the GC was the first one I bought for myself in decades), so I'll be going back to a stick for my next vehicle - probably a 2-door JL Sport S. Of course it now has to be a V6 Pentastar, which is OK by me (I've had that engine in 2 JKs and now in the GC, and it works just fine).

However, in the very unlikely event that Jeep ever offers a Wrangler diesel with a manual, I'd be all over it. A JT with diesel and manual would be even more awesome! Jeep, PLEASE offer it.

On an unrelated point, with the factory-ordered 20" wheels my RWD GC handles and steers better than my wife's AWD X3; and the GC feels much more stable. FWIW, the X3 is a Premium Package and not the Sport Package version. Furthermore, although very slightly larger on the outside, the GC has WAY more cargo capacity.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
... My biggest complaint with the JK's manual (aside from Mopar's awful TOBs) was how noisy it was. When you installed a lift and put the stock DS at a funky angle, you could literally hear its pain and suffering through the transmission (when it wasn't rattling all over the damn place).

I don't care about the shorter throws or reverse being on the top left. I just don't want to hear the damn thing. If it's smooth and quiet, I'm sold.
I had a 2012 Rubicon 2-door with a manual and it was very noisy; then I got a 2015 Sahara 2-door with a manual and it was relatively quiet. Not really sure why the difference, except I bought the 2012 off the lot with a couple hundred miles on it, so it may have been abused during demo drives; and I factory-ordered the 2015 so I got it unmolested.

Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
We have the 2014 GC Ecodiesel and it will SMOKE the 3.6. It may be a bit slow out of the box, but send the ECU in to Green Diesel Engineering and it comes alive. I've raced a co-worker with the 5.7L hemi and our GDE tuned ecodiesel smoked him. Timing it with the dragstrip app, it turns 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. On the highway we get 32-35mpg. It's enough of a difference that when the dealer flashed over our tune, my wife who isn't a car person at all IMMEDIATELY complained that something was seriously wrong with her Jeep. I didn't tell her that it had been wiped and replaced with the factory tune, she knew it and it was so noticeable stock that she thought there was something wrong with it. If you spool the turbo up a bit and hold the brake, when you let off it slams you into the seat. The GDE tune keeps the engine in it's power curve far more than the factory tune.
was wondering if someone did tunes for those. And that's without doing any deletes it looks like.

What did the tune run?

We did a tune/delete on our 335D. Impressive differences (especially highway mileage...but took an already torquey beast and made it more so...)

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
The real question I have is, will I be able to get into a 4-door Wrangler with the diesel for under $40k (actual price, not MSRP) in 2019? If it's not available in the Sport or Sport S, I'm guessing the answer is no :(

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
I love my 2 door but off road here in Arizona, MOAB, etc. the 4 door is so much more stabile rock climbing that I'll have to get the 4 door next.
So by going that way I will have to get the Diesel.
Looking forward to driving the 8 speed auto, I have a 7 speed in my car and it is fantastic.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I too would like the diesel and planned on waiting for it BUT have changed my mind and will probably go with the V6 and aftermarket supercharger. Had several diesels from VW and when a DPF goes it can be an expensive repair.

My JL will be used as an overland vehicle for use on the West coast and will do some towing. So, as I approach the end of the warranty, I will supercharge.

I chose the manual on my 2019 JLUR. I thought of waiting for the diesel, but two things concerned me. It is a great engine and has a ton of torque, which would be great for towing a trailer for overlanding or for off-roading. The red flags for me was; 1. If I run out of fuel, what are the chances someone is carrying extra diesel? I definitely know people will have spare gasoline and 2. with the environmental outlook, diesel may be looking at further regulations and more importantly taxation increases. I am thinking of looking at supercharging the 3.6 V6 once the warranty ends, but I need to verify the manual can support the increase in torque.

Edit: After reviewing the material on Edelbrock's website it does appear that the supercharger will work with the manual and provide more Rear Wheel Horsepower (RWH) and Rear Wheel Torque (RWT) than the automatic, due to losses in the torque converter. I would love to know what the current RWH and RWT are for the 3.6 V6.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
My only question is... How soon can I get a Gladiator diesel?

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
MT is obsolete. Torque isnt.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm happy I went with the manual. Diesel will be around for a long time, manual nearly dead. This is the last rwd manual SUV in the US and possibly the entire world soon.

Originally the lack of low end torque in the v6 irritated me but a Centerforce clutch and flywheel fixed it. Don't need a diesel anymore

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
To me it's not a Devil's decisions at all. I wouldn't get an Italian diesel and I wouldn't use Jeep for towing.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
I'm a manual fan, and I love the manual in our 2018 JL. I also have a love-hate with my BMW X5 diesel. It gets amazing mileage, has gobs of torque, really a great engine. BUT.

BUT my family has now twice put gas into a diesel truck. Yes there is a safety device at the filler that should make this impossible, I'm sure the Jeep has one too. It's not impossible. A determined teenager or a spouse yapping on the phone and pumping are all it takes to destroy your truck.

In our case the outcome was $3,000 to drain the tank, replace filters and the HP fuel pumps (because she started it), and then this week $1k to just do the tank and filters (he didn't start it). Most people who mis-fuel have bills ranging from $3k-$20k to fix engine damage.

Bottom line - my advice is don't get the diesel unless you will personally fuel your vehicle every single time. The risks are simply catastrophic.
Sponsored