POI import into uconnect?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Will the 2018 Uconnect NAV system accept importation of custom POIs?

I presently use a Garmin 'hang-on' 8 inch GPS NAV unit with Bluetooth and voice command. Using Garmin POI-LOADER,
I am able to load custom POIs into the NAV unit. I have been able to load literally thousands of campgrounds into the unit along with special photoshoot locations, etc.

I will be ordering a 2018 JLUR, but without the UConnect NAV option, if I cannot add my own POIs to the system.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Will the 2018 Uconnect NAV system accept importation of custom POIs?

I presently use a Garmin 'hang-on' 8 inch GPS NAV unit with Bluetooth and voice command. Using Garmin POI-LOADER,
I am able to load custom POIs into the NAV unit. I have been able to load literally thousands of campgrounds into the unit along with special photoshoot locations, etc.

I will be ordering a 2018 JLUR, but without the UConnect NAV option, if I cannot add my own POIs to the system.
I don't think you will be able to be that specific on your order, unless you forgo the infotainment package altogether, which will leave a lot of goodies out.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
If you use an Android device with Google maps, can you add POI? If so, I would just use Android Auto for this need.

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update...I just found out that the UConnect (Garmin) software/hardware in the Jeep uses the same protocol as my stand- alone Garmin.
My Garmin POI-Loader software will work in the Jeep UConnect system: 1) make sure that the original POI listings located in your PC are in *.csv format; 2) run POI-Loader saving the Garmin poi.gpi format file(s) directly into a clean USB memory stick. Preserve ALL of the original POI.csv files. Each time POI-Loader is run, the older *.gpi file is over-written. So if you add new files, you will be over-writing all of the older USB files. 3) You can then call up the POIs on the UConnect screen as needed.

You can download POI listings from several websites. They include more than 16,000 US and Canada campgrounds, US rest stops, Walmarts, CSV pharmacies, etc. You can also add your own POIs. such as photo-stops, dangerous locations, etc.

The only drawback in the Jeep Uconnect Nav system versus the much cheaper stand-alone GPS unit is the fact that you can only update your Jeep road map file once a year for about $150. My stand-alone cost 1/3 the price, has free lifetime 3 times a year updates and includes a traffic notification receiver.

I still don't know if the UConnect system accepts Garmin-format 'bread-crumb' route files. If it can...you can follow any mapped trail with an accuracy of a couple of feet.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Wow! Interesting. That may tilt my decision toward nav!

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Update...I just found out that the UConnect (Garmin) software/hardware in the Jeep uses the same protocol as my stand- alone Garmin.
My Garmin POI-Loader software will work in the Jeep UConnect system: 1) make sure that the original POI listings located in your PC are in *.csv format; 2) run POI-Loader saving the Garmin poi.gpi format file(s) directly into a clean USB memory stick. Preserve ALL of the original POI.csv files. Each time POI-Loader is run, the older *.gpi file is over-written. So if you add new files, you will be over-writing all of the older USB files. 3) You can then call up the POIs on the UConnect screen as needed.

You can download POI listings from several websites. They include more than 16,000 US and Canada campgrounds, US rest stops, Walmarts, CSV pharmacies, etc. You can also add your own POIs. such as photo-stops, dangerous locations, etc.

The only drawback in the Jeep Uconnect Nav system versus the much cheaper stand-alone GPS unit is the fact that you can only update your Jeep road map file once a year for about $150. My stand-alone cost 1/3 the price, has free lifetime 3 times a year updates and includes a traffic notification receiver.

I still don't know if the UConnect system accepts Garmin-format 'bread-crumb' route files. If it can...you can follow any mapped trail with an accuracy of a couple of feet.
Have you actually been able to do this using any existing u-connect system? Because I've never been able to import any Garmin POI or GPX files into my 2012 or 2015 Wranglers with nav. nor my current 2017 Grand Cherokee with 8.4 Nav. I've called Chrysler tech support and they say it can't be done; but I'd love to be able to it because I do my trip planning using Garmin Basecamp and Microsoft Streets.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Garmin knows how to do it and FCA reps, who may not specialize in this area, just don't know it?

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Maybe Garmin knows how to do it and FCA reps, who may not specialize in this area, just don't know it?
Possibly, but when I was trying to do this a couple of years ago on my 2015 Polar Edition I spoke to the U-connect "experts", a team who specialized in the really technical stuff (not FCA's regular customer service), and I was told "no can do". I hope that's no longer true.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly, but when I was trying to do this a couple of years ago on my 2015 Polar Edition I spoke to the U-connect "experts", a team who specialized in the really technical stuff (not FCA's regular customer service), and I was told "no can do". I hope that's no longer true.
Ahh, I see. Hopefully when a few of us get our hands on the JL, we can try again and see if maybe they've added this capability.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The aforementioned instructions came from Garmin and the FCA UConnect Users Manual(s). If the instructions don't work...then the manuals are incorrect and a disclaimer should be sent out to anyone who has purchased a UConnect with NAV system and dealers. This would make a nice class action lawsuit. I would only buy the NAV option, IF the system works as claimed!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The aforementioned instructions came from Garmin and the FCA UConnect Users Manual(s). If the instructions don't work...then the manuals are incorrect and a disclaimer should be sent out to anyone who has purchased a UConnect with NAV system and dealers. This would make a nice class action lawsuit. I would only buy the NAV option, IF the system works as claimed!
Well, then did you not answer your own question?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Can you not do this with Apple Carplay and/or Android Auto? There's a reason why they exist: car manufacturers absolutely suck at making navigation systems. I know Google Maps lets you do custom POIs and a lot of the features and imported content you can use should carry over to Android Auto.

Even though Chrysler has gone from having one of the worst OEM navigation units to now having the best infotainment system in any modern vehicle (other than a Tesla), the navigation software in the current UConnect systems still leave a lot to be desired. However, Jeep is finally giving the Wrangler the modern treatment it desperately needs and having a trail mapping system built into Off-Road Pages would be awesome. Unfortunately, that probably won't be a thing in the 2018 model, but it might be a future option or software update once the JL has been out for a while and Jeep has gotten feedback from the masses.

I'd keep an eye on Apple and Google for stuff like this. If they're gonna do it, they'll do it right, they'll do it first, and they'll do it for free.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Apple maps on CarPlay is very basic. I have not figured out a way to do way points, if there is one.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Apple maps on CarPlay is very basic. I have not figured out a way to do way points, if there is one.
Yeah, and Android Auto is, too. But they're going to improve much more quickly than the UConnect systems ever will. That isn't to say this particular feature will ever be introduced or available in Apple Carplay or Android Auto, but they're being added to new vehicles year after year and as far as options and features go, they keep getting better and better, too.
Sponsored