Sponsored

The "Dumbing Down" of the JL Sport

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
According to the 2-door JL "Customer Preferred Code Guide," LED headlights will only be available on the Rubicon. (Not sure about the 4-door.)
Aftermarket.

And get the ones with heated lenses.
Sponsored

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
the only thing keeping FCA afloat are wranglers and they rest of the jeep brand, cash cow if there ever was one!!!! Ford can't make Raptors fast enough and jeep is just maxing out on the new "poser" crowd:handsinair::handsinair::handsinair:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
How does this compare to the JK Sport options?
JK sport had LEDs as an option. 2 door sport had premium soft top as an option. The Cold Weather Group added BFG all terrain tires and “heavy duty suspension.” The 8.4 uconnect was not available for obvious reasons, but the others were all available.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
JK sport had LEDs as an option. 2 door sport had premium soft top as an option. The Cold Weather Group added BFG all terrain tires and “heavy duty suspension.” The 8.4 uconnect was not available for obvious reasons, but the others were all available.
That strikes me as weird that the cold weather group would add tires and upgrade the suspension, but I will take your word for it.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
[QUOTE="
The aftermarket will take care of most needs and usually cheaper than the OEM upgrades. Jeep knows this and is willing to sacrifice offering these OEM packages in hopes to simply make more money selling higher trim models. Also keep in mind the Willys is usually a very good alternative with more options for those that consider the Sport. It will come back at some point.[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more. The aftermarket will take care of any need that may come up for the JL. They will also come up with a tons of stuff that fit no need at all. I get a new catalog for my JK in the mail close to once a week. Almost everything is also way cheaper than OEM.

I also find tons of very nice parts that folks take off of like new JK's when they start there build. Lots of folks buy Rubicon's and take off and sell many parts to make it there own.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It’s not a dumbing down if the previous Sport didn’t have the features like LEDs, which are expensive and people are already moaning about price. And they are still an option via Mopar with no limitation, and with even more options including TL and JLS.

Willys is a Special Edition, and it was always a premium, not a basic Sport or even Sport S, but it came out of bundling features that were often requested in configuring a Sport. The same will likely happen after the initial release.

With limited inital production capacity, you sell and build the vehicles with the largest margins, not the discount models, and you push people to those models until production is elevated to the point where you can start un-bundling things.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I could have sworn that I saw in the option sheet that LED lights are available on the Sport. Are you guys sure?

Even the Sport S is going to be really expensive, so moving up to Sahara or Rubicon is totally off the table.
There’s conflicting info on it, it the options list it is listed as a Package option, but the LED package seems restricted to Sahara & Rubicon. It likely still can be ordered as a custom build, like many of us adding features ‘not available’ to our Sports, but that’s not the same as making it clear to most people who don’t understand the order process. At the moment the information is conflicting and confusing.

Of course as it’s an option, there’s still always Mopar etc.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I did! It just strikes me as weird! :clap:
That package is a great deal on the 4-door Sport S because the power locks are already there. MSRP $1,395 with tiers, shocks, mats, heated seats, heated engine block, and remote start. Manual even cheaper at $995 because there is no remote start.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I do wish that the base Sport model had the option of adding A/C as a stand alone add on. That's the one thing that isn't easy to upgrade later.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
One of my favorite hobbies is working on my vehicles. I think they are omitting a lot of things on the Sport and that is on purpose for people who like to modify their own vehicles. Give it about a year and the market will be flooded with JL parts and accessories. I hate driving something that looks like all the other vehicles in the lot. Aftermarket wheels, tires and bumpers are a must for me. Aux lighting and some LED off road/driving lamps are a must. Tops will be available soon, probably going with a hardtop and later on buying a Trektop. I can put on my own lift and have an auto shop where you can rent a bay on the Army base for do it yourselfers. The Sport is bare bones and perfect for my needs.
Sponsored