Sponsored

35 Inche BFGoodrich Tires on stock spareTire carrier?

BrimmStone

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL unlimited
35 Inche BFGoodrich Tires on stock spareTire carrier? , im ordering my 35 inch tires to be put on my stock Jeep jl and wondering if it will fit on the spare tire carrier
Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
It would fit on my Rubicon with plastic bumpers. My 37 bolts-on but rubs too much for my liking. Relocation bracket is on order.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I have the 33' stock rubicon on my non-rubicon bumper and it BARELY fits. I wouldn't do it.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have 35 BFG KM3`S and steel bumpers and it was a no go. I bought the tire relocation bracket from Smittybilt they offered the least amount of rise and least amount of setback. Works great except for the tailgate flex but that’s a whole nother story

OP
OP

BrimmStone

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL unlimited
I have 35 BFG KM3`S and steel bumpers and it was a no go. I bought the tire relocation bracket from Smittybilt they offered the least amount of rise and least amount of setback. Works great except for the tailgate flex but that’s a whole nother story
the weight of the 35 is too much?

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Personally I think it’s borderline. I had a Smittybilt tire carrier on my JK and you could sit on the tire and it would not move. Theirs actually replaced the hinge which was larger and held on with 3 bolts not 2. I have my old hinges from my JK and the JL ones are a joke compared to them.
I didn’t want to take a chance so I have a hitch mounted tire support
Skyjacker makes on for the JK, my opinion is that it was a bad design, it used to just about scratch or cut me when I was reaching in the back
Skyjacker rep said they should release theirs by October for the JL

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
35 Inche BFGoodrich Tires on stock spareTire carrier? , im ordering my 35 inch tires to be put on my stock Jeep jl and wondering if it will fit on the spare tire carrier
You didn't say which JL you've got which might be the confusion. If you have a Rubicon, yes those tires will fit on the stock tire carrier with the stock plastic bumper. I added the reinforcement kit to support the added weight but I did not need the tire relocation kit. The 35's fit just fine. The only thing you'll have to do is raise the third-brake light up ( look at how it's bolted on and you'll understand what to do ). If you need visual evidence you can see my setup here.

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had 35s put on a week ago and no problems with the fit on rear. JLUR w/ plastic rear bumper.

Sponsored

wyatt209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
35s fit with no problem 315//70-17 KO2s. I have Tailgate reinforcement with stock carrier.

9TnKDyi+T8iOAJ638jemgg.jpg

SG69LZkeSACNerDJDEUKhw.jpg

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Is the tailgate reinforcement really needed? Looking at the BFG website going fromt he 285 c-rated to the 315 c-rated is an increase of approx 13lbs.

Will that really stress the hinges enough to need reinforced?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Is the tailgate reinforcement really needed? Looking at the BFG website going fromt he 285 c-rated to the 315 c-rated is an increase of approx 13lbs.

Will that really stress the hinges enough to need reinforced?
A lot of people on here are running that tire or heavier without any sort of reinforcement without issue. It's not a bad idea to use a reinforcement but whether or not it's necessary is a debate. The wheels you use will impact the weight as well. Any of the stock wheels are pretty light compared to a lot of aftermarket.

I have those exact tires but aftermarket wheels that are a good bit heavier than stock (~12 pounds or so). I ran without reinforcement for a few weeks and didn't feel like there was an issue but I got a decent deal on the MOPAR reinforcement on eBay, so I bought it for extra insurance - even though I admit I'm not sure how helpful it really it is but it would help cover warranty in case of an issue. There are better aftermarket options out there now.

If you haven't read this yet, it's a good source. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tailgate-reinforcement-do-we-really-need-it.10626/

Google this:

jeep jl tailgate reinforcement site:jlwranglerforums.com

Or here is a handy list of other threads:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS752US752&ei=yrWzXPCGMpGd-gSIyYWwAw&q=jeep+jl+tailgate+reinforcement+site:jlwranglerforums.com&oq=jeep+jl+tailgate+reinforcement+site:jlwranglerforums.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2200.10295..12397...0.0..0.179.3251.0j26......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299j33i160j0i13.sCnfcbAKJjA

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
35s. With no issue. Ton of room and it is only 12 pounds more. I have aftermarket wheels with a +6 offset. I have read from many that you don’t need a reinforcement kit for a 35” tire. Main thing is to make sure the bump stops are touching. I did have to examine about an inch.

AC121D61-CCF8-4404-86B8-BAA9B87D508D.jpeg
Sponsored