Cooling seats!?

RUFNIT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OB JlUR
First world problems here but I ordered a JLUR with leather seats. I can't for the life of me figure out why Jeep wouldn't offer cooling seats when the vehicle is best with the top down and sun blazing. They offer the cool weather package giving us seat and steering wheel warmers but nothing to cool us down on hot days. Any insight?
Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
First world problems here but I ordered a JLUR with leather seats. I can't for the life of me figure out why Jeep wouldn't offer cooling seats when the vehicle is best with the top down and sun blazing. They offer the cool weather package giving us seat and steering wheel warmers but nothing to cool us down on hot days. Any insight?
My understanding is because the seats would have to perforated and perforated seats getting wet is a problem ie rain and forging.

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FJ (+about $30k)/14 4runner on 6112s n Icons (looking at JLURs)
Texas could REALLY use cooled seats. I get the water resistance thing, but truly, it wouldn't be that hard to make them as "water resistant" as the rest of the interior. Here we are far more concerned with heat than getting wet.

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
My understanding is because the seats would have to perforated and perforated seats getting wet is a problem ie rain and forging.
I had cooling seats with my perforated leather on my Ram. I did have a big ass sun roof that I could have left open in the rain.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Meh. Those seats make me feel like I pissed my pants.

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Meh. Those seats make me feel like I pissed my pants.
I had them in my grand Cherokee, just my two cents, no big deal, they helped a small amount and the Preforated leather is a pain to keep clean. And I think the leather on the seats of my grand Cherokee was a lot thinner..

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Texas could REALLY use cooled seats. I get the water resistance thing, but truly, it wouldn't be that hard to make them as "water resistant" as the rest of the interior. Here we are far more concerned with heat than getting wet.
Actually it would be completely impossible to make them as water resistant as the rest of the interior when the seats are effectively a giant sponge and perforating the leather seat covers would just open that to the weather. No thanks.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
YASSSSSSSSSS!

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually it would be completely impossible to make them as water resistant as the rest of the interior when the seats are effectively a giant sponge and perforating the leather seat covers would just open that to the weather. No thanks.
Step into the now... although I worked in Aerospace manufacturing 25 years ago, a few things have changed... technology wise for the better, everything else, well, meh. If my tac boots/pants/shirts/other gear can be made water resistant yet breathable, I'm pretty sure auto seats could be successfully worked in if there was a will.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I would use cooled seats far more often than heated seats. When it's 0 degrees here in winter I'm always bundled up in thick clothing anyhow. So the cold seat doesn't bother me. And your butt warms the seat quickly as the HVAC heat warms the cabin.

But, in summer when it's 100 degrees the entire interior gets heat soaked and it's miserable even with the A/C on blast. If you have leather then it burns your legs since you wear shorts (or dresses for the ladies) more often. Cooled seats here would be a bigger deal and would get used a lot more often.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Step into the now... although I worked in Aerospace manufacturing 25 years ago, a few things have changed... technology wise for the better, everything else, well, meh. If my tac boots/pants/shirts/other gear can be made water resistant yet breathable, I'm pretty sure auto seats could be successfully worked in if there was a will.
The covers could be, sure. The covers aren't the problem. It's the giant sponge of foam that makes up the body of the seat, which will stay wet for a very long time.

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The covers could be, sure. The covers aren't the problem. It's the giant sponge of foam that makes up the body of the seat, which will stay wet for a very long time.
Closed cell foam along with Gortex, etc, etc... problems are always awaiting yet discovered solutions.
Sponsored