Sponsored

Is the 84:1 Crawl Ratio of the Manual Transmission Low Enough?

Dirt32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door JL Rubicon Ordered, 2002 Silverado, 2008 Honda Civic, 2017 Subaru Outback
Those of you with experience rock crawling a 6 speed manual transmission, Rubicon JK. Will the 84:1 JL crawl ratio provide enough torque to idle over rocks that give a stock rig a strong challenge? My only experience in a Jeep is in my dad's automatic.

I'm very interested in purchasing a 2 door manual trans JL Rubicon with the 84:1 crawl. I know manuals will stall once in a while I just don't want it to be a constant fight everytime I need to crawl over a rock, which will be a lot being that I live on the west side of the Sierra Nevadas, 1.5 hrs from the Dusy Trail head.

I know automatics are better in the rocks, PLEASE DO NOT debate pros and cons just answer my question. I'm a farm boy who grew up driving tractors and trucks in the field, and racing motorcycles. I prefer manuals but will purchase an auto if a manual will be a constant fight in the rocks.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Those of you with experience rock crawling a 6 speed manual transmission, Rubicon JK. Will the 84:1 JL crawl ratio provide enough torque to idle over rocks that give a stock rig a strong challenge? My only experience in a Jeep is in my dad's automatic.

I'm very interested in purchasing a 2 door manual trans JL Rubicon with the 84:1 crawl. I know manuals will stall once in a while I just don't want it to be a constant fight everytime I need to crawl over a rock, which will be a lot being that I live on the west side of the Sierra Nevadas, 1.5 hrs from the Dusy Trail head.

I know automatics are better in the rocks, PLEASE DO NOT debate pros and cons just answer my question. I'm a farm boy who grew up driving tractors and trucks in the field, and racing motorcycles. I prefer manuals but will purchase an auto if a manual will be a constant fight in the rocks.
I would say this would be very good, but will change with bigger tires if you don't do a re-gear.

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
not sure what it was on the JK or how that compares BUT I can tell you that I have owned both and its pretty rocky here in AZ and Ive gone to Moab with both...........if you do a lot of crawling in your wheeling my advice is the auto...........manual is more "fun" usually overall but IMO makes the day on the trail with lots of crawling in 4LO 1st gear much more fun with an auto;);)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It’s noticeably higher than on the current JK which can already brake-idle crawl around obstacles, so shouldn’t be an issue on the JL, especially with better early-on torque delivery from the updated Pentastar.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
not sure what it was on the JK or how that compares BUT I can tell you that I have owned both and its pretty rocky here in AZ and Ive gone to Moab with both...........if you do a lot of crawling in your wheeling my advice is the auto...........manual is more "fun" usually overall but IMO makes the day on the trail with lots of crawling in 4LO 1st gear much more fun with an auto;);)
  • Crawl ratio on Rubicon has improved from 59:1 to 77:1 (automatic) and 73:1 to 84:1 (manual)

Sponsored

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
I actually worry about the other side of this which is trail speed. Our JKU-R is already one of the slowest vehicles on the trail with most of our wheeling groups due to the 4:1 t-case. When you are in between obstacles I find we end up trying to decide if we should drop 4LO as the pack leaves us.

This was when we were stock as well as now (larger tires and gears). Still, if you are going to crawl a manual it's key.... so we roll slow :)

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
84:1 is super low. Even with 37's on it you would be fine.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s noticeably higher than on the current JK which can already brake-idle crawl around obstacles, so shouldn’t be an issue on the JL, especially with better early-on torque delivery from the updated Pentastar.
I still argue it’s lower. Lol. Are you saying the JL has a “higher” low range?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I actually worry about the other side of this which is trail speed. Our JKU-R is already one of the slowest vehicles on the trail with most of our wheeling groups due to the 4:1 t-case. When you are in between obstacles I find we end up trying to decide if we should drop 4LO as the pack leaves us.

This was when we were stock as well as now (larger tires and gears). Still, if you are going to crawl a manual it's key.... so we roll slow :)
Definitely shift into high between obstacles.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
The higher the number the lower the overall gear. Axle ratio x 1st gear ratio x transfer case ratio= crawl ratio

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I still argue it’s lower. Lol. Are you saying the JL has a “higher” low range?
Topic is CRAWL RATIO, perhaps that can guide you as to which is correct when comparing ratios, NOT gears. :idea:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My JK, with 4.10 gearing, manual, 3.8, and 33's can idle with no throttle input at all, up VERY steep, rocky hills. It is effortless. The JL Rubi/manual should laugh at those situations and do much more. I think with 35's, it will be at least as good as my old JK with 33's, and maybe better.

Last edited:

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
Definitely shift into high between obstacles.
I suppose that's a better way to go... but most of the time we either just move slower or if it's short run in 4th or 5th. 1st gear high range seems to fall somewhere between 5th and 6th low range for us.

In truth, it's a bit of a PITA to switch in and out of low range all the time. Especially when the pack has often already taken off. Do we stop to switch into High, or just keep going slower in Low? It's like the old rabbit vs turtle story LOL.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I suppose that's a better way to go... but most of the time we either just move slower or if it's short run in 4th or 5th. 1st gear high range seems to fall somewhere between 5th and 6th low range for us.

In truth, it's a bit of a PITA to switch in and out of low range all the time. Especially when the pack has often already taken off. Do we stop to switch into High, or just keep going slower in Low? It's like the old rabbit vs turtle story LOL.
With the 8sp, it shouldn't be too bad, stay in 4lo

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Is there a problem driving in 5th or 6th in low?
Sponsored