emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
-been down that 35 road before with a previous JKU and dealt with the shortcomings of 35's (harsher ride, decreased fuel economy, etc) and don't want to be in that same boat again so to speak.
The JL is a whole different animal. The issues that you had with your JK and 35's won't be the same with the JL. First the harsher ride has to do with the type of tire more than the size. You get a 33" mud terrain tire and it's gonna make noise and ride as harsh a 35" or 37" mud terrain. So pick an AT tire or an aggressive tire that's known to be smooth on the road. Second the larger tires on the JK and mpg's has to do with the gearing and the engine of the JK. You'll experience a lot less of that with the JL. The Rubi comes with 33's and most people who jump to the 35's can't tell much difference. The speedo and mpg's will be off just a bit but nothing that will break the bank or can't be fixed by reprogramming. I had a JK with 35's and a 3" lift and it was a beating on the highway until I re-geared and re-programmed but the new JL you won't have as much of an issue.
Last but not least... I totally get the money thing. If you're set on the 33's and don't want to spend the money on 35's just yet I would go ahead and buy your lift and just hold off on install until you're ready to upgrade tires.
Sponsored

Dolfin14

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
yep, and 35 at the minimum. I would upgrade to 37s if it wasn't for the speedo fix / price / tailgate reenforcement cost. FWIW, my lifted on 35s rubicon gets 20mpg.
Lucky you. My lifted Sahara on 35s gets 13. How do you get 20? Help a girl out!!

Sponsored

Sinningdf

First Name
Sinning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
what type of bumper on your Rubi and where did you buy it?

PapaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
My ride with 285/70/17 on MIckey Thompson Classic III's after Mopar 2" lift install.

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

A few hundred miles later with bumper installed

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG
What did you do with that old bumber??

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I'm currently running BFG TA KO2s in 285/70/17. As much as I want to buy some new 35's, I'm hesitant to do so for several reasons:
-just bought new 33's for my JKU that I just traded for my JLU (was able to keep them and had JL stock tires placed on my traded JKU). Don't need an extra expense.
-been down that 35 road before with a previous JKU and dealt with the shortcomings of 35's (harsher ride, decreased fuel economy, etc) and don't want to be in that same boat again so to speak.

So show me your rigs with 33's on the Mopar 2" lift. I've seen plenty of pics of 35's & 37's on the Mopar lift but so far only 1 with 33's. Trying hard to be financially responsible and smart about this decision.
Thanks in advance.
So for those on the fence about how 33s will look with the 2" Mopar lift, here is how mine presently sits. I am not sure if I will be going to 35s or not. Next decision for me will be which wheels.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
These photos help. I am running the 285/70/17 on ProComp 7069. -6 (similar look to your MT, only flat black) I agree that the widened stance is critical to this working... and honestly, from my experience, I don't like going up unless I also go out or it alters the vehicles natural center and makes it tippy. Though, also - for those with less fuel efficiency - the widened stance contributes to drag and lower MPG.

I loved the Mopar on my 2012 JKU - but notice that the JL version of the 2" sits considerably higher then previous versions of the same upgrade. Seeing on a Sahara without the high line fenders and 33's is helpful. Thanks for posting.

My ride with 285/70/17 on MIckey Thompson Classic III's after Mopar 2" lift install.

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

A few hundred miles later with bumper installed

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG
Side.jpeg

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
yep, and 35 at the minimum. I would upgrade to 37s if it wasn't for the speedo fix / price / tailgate reenforcement cost. FWIW, my lifted on 35s rubicon gets 20mpg.
Which engine and do you have a 4dr? I’d like to do a JLUR with the mopar lift and 35s but don’t want to destroy my mileage. Yes. I’m trying to have the most free hugging hippie wrangler I can (diesel soon or plug in). Thanks.

Ps. How high is it? Wondering if it will fit in my parking garage at work. Thanks again.
Sponsored