Sponsored

Would You Do it Over - Soft Top or Hard Top?

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
PST only, and no regrets. It’s as quiet or quieter than the hard top, is way more versatile and easy to operate, and looks better (in my not so humble opinion). Plus, I don’t want to deal with storage and effort involved in swapping tops.

I keep nothing of value in my Jeep and don’t even lock the doors, so I’m not concerned with break-ins. Also, it’s a 6sp so I have that added bit of anti theft deterrent.

82D68605-DFCC-4C7E-86E2-4E3E4766A4AD.jpeg
I'm the same way man....I leave it unlocked, but empty.

No regerts!
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Learned years ago to always go with hardtop or dual top but never to buy a Wrangler that left the factory as a soft top.

Why...... because it is not all that easy, and is a tad costly, to set a Wrangler that left the factory as a soft top up with a hard top. The other way around is easy....
4D065E53-0441-443E-88C8-A407995F9BF4.jpeg

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
My first Jeep, a 2013 JKUR, had dual tops because I clicked off every possible option as I didn’t want regrets. Used had in winter and soft spring through fall in the northeast. My JL on order is hard top only as it will be delivered near end of the season and I am waiting to see what bestop releases for the JL next year. IMO dual tops is the way to go but I’d get a hard top at least for the reasons others stated that it’s easy to get rid of it and go soft top but not the other way around for resale and future use.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the high desert - Yakima WA. So we really never get rain. So top off from June through Sep is pretty easy. Then Hard top the rest of the year. Not much back and forth for me and hoist system in garage makes it easy. I have the alien sunshade now for the really hot weeks.

74AD31B9-37FC-43A8-AA23-3A75FC8E8345.jpeg

2A078589-9B71-41F6-B247-F888DC86997C.jpeg

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
I've always had both on my past 2 JKs. Wish I had both now. I'll buy a soft top once they come down in price.

Sponsored

Bickmt

First Name
Bick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2006 LX470, 1979 MG Midget, 2017 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
semi-retired
I have the dual top, live in Montana

Have the soft on now

Haven’t even taken the rear windows out of the box

It’s great... we get little rain this time of year

The top is extremely well designed, super easy to take up and down

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
First wrangler owner. Went with dual top to get the full experience and not get cold feet on a post purchase top. I would do it again. Planning to build a garage lift.

Love the various soft top configs to cruise in...like the hard top look and assume I'll like it more in the winter :)

EDIT: I factory ordered dual tops, but there could be a better configuration aftermarket. I'm totally happy with the premium soft top, but understand the aftermarket has lots of options. Again, bought it with my order so I would lock in and have a soft top this first season!

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Before buying my Jeep I wanted the hard top no questions asked. But I’ve always wanted a convertible vehicle and I’ve always wanted a Jeep so the soft top was a 2 for 1. After really thinking about it if something is a hassle I won’t do it much or at all. After owning the soft top I’ve used it in sunrider mode plenty. I enjoy pulling back the soft top and putting the windows down. Truly feel the Jeep experience. I don’t regret it at all. And the soft top look grew on me a lot, now I like both versions equally.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP, pardon if I steer slightly off course. I wonder what people might say if there were two options to Dual top purchase, not just the one: the conventional more expensive one we know of which currently involves acquiring both tops, or a cheaper purchase of a full hardtop, with Bestop's (the maker of the soft top) soft top alternative for just the Freedom Panels--of course with the hard Freedom Panels as well.

Stratplexi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, BMW 535, Harley CVO Road King, 18 JLUR on order
Occupation
Engineering Director
Dual top group for me....

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
It seems like everyone in snowy areas wants a hardtop for winner. What are the concerns with running a soft top in Winter? Could the weight of the snow from a snowstorm collapse a soft top? Is there really much difference in temperature between the soft and hard tops? Other concerns?

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
This is a great, informative thread. But it's also making my decision that much tougher! Up until now, there was no debate in my mind what top to get -- hard top all the way. I've always liked the look of the hard top better than the soft top, and I assumed it would be quieter on the highway and a little warmer in the winter. But now I'm wondering if premium soft top is the way to go. It sounds like a really great product. And knowing me, if something is a pain in the arse, I'll never do it; in other words, if I get a hard top I'll probably never take it off. And I really don't like the thought of finding a place to store it in my garage. Seems like it would be really bulky.

I'll be honest, though, driving with the top off has never been my main desire for wanting a Jeep. I want one because I think they're cool as hell and look really fun. But it seems sort of silly to own a Jeep and not at least take the top off every now and then. The winters here in Charlotte are chilly at times, but it's not a harsh winter by any means.

So I'm slightly torn. I'm wondering if maybe I should just stick to my desire all along, not overthink it, and just go hard top. Or maybe the soft top offers the best versatility. Torn!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
This is a great, informative thread. But it's also making my decision that much tougher! Up until now, there was no debate in my mind what top to get -- hard top all the way. I've always liked the look of the hard top better than the soft top, and I assumed it would be quieter on the highway and a little warmer in the winter. But now I'm wondering if premium soft top is the way to go. It sounds like a really great product. And knowing me, if something is a pain in the arse, I'll never do it; in other words, if I get a hard top I'll probably never take it off. And I really don't like the thought of finding a place to store it in my garage. Seems like it would be really bulky.

I'll be honest, though, driving with the top off has never been my main desire for wanting a Jeep. I want one because I think they're cool as hell and look really fun. But it seems sort of silly to own a Jeep and not at least take the top off every now and then. The winters here in Charlotte are chilly at times, but it's not a harsh winter by any means.

So I'm slightly torn. I'm wondering if maybe I should just stick to my desire all along, not overthink it, and just go hard top. Or maybe the soft top offers the best versatility. Torn!
If you have a place to put the hard top...totally changes the character of it when you swap the soft top. I won't say it's like 2 different vehicles...but I've loved the hard top even with lots of 90+ degree weather this summer. And looking forward to seeing the hard top on again when it's fall/winter.

BTW, favorite position with dual tops is the soft top in sunrider (top up, sides/back off). FWIW My commute is about 20 mins, 8 or so highway at 70-80.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Do you have to take off all of those plastic soft top brackets to put the hard top back on come fall?