Avoid CariD: RESOLVED

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I just went back through my conversation with CarID back when I tried to order these. At the time, I had seen some reviews about fit issues and that the design had changed. I contacted CarID to ask if they had the original model or the corrected version before ordering. I had given them my VIN and Jeep info (Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon) as part of contacting them. They sent me an email to purchase the sliders in a follow up, and it was for the JK version. I noticed JK in the product number and questioned it, and they said that my VIN decoded to a JK so they had put the JK version in my cart. Uh, no. I know what I am driving.
Sponsored

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Bril, this is what happened to me. I kept my confirmation emails an this is exactly what my confirmation email said! I am going to reach out to CariD again and see if they will assist with a refund and return shipment. Thank you for taking the time to post your confirmation to this thread!
Glad I could help but sorry to hear somebody else is going through the same frustrating experience. Good luck and hopefully they will do the right thing without too much hassle.

Last edited:

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You should direct them to this forum and thread. I'm a new jeep owner (JL) making lots of expensive mods to my jeep who will avoid doing business with them based on this thread. I'm sure there are other's who will avoid them as well. I generally avoid any and all businesses with questionable customer service.

OP
OP
Lindag8r

Lindag8r

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist
LindaG8r,
You're right, CarID screwed me over too. No, I don't want any lectures, I'm an adult.
Several weeks ago I spotted their advertisement for Ace Engineering rock sliders for 2 door JLs. "Awesome!", thought I, so I double-checked the part number and ordered them. I received a confirmation with a two week ship date - and was charged immediately. Because I hadn't heard anything on the forum about Ace Sliders being available yet, I called Ace. Sure enough, they hadn't even gotten past the product development phase, CarID sold me - and charged me - for a part which wasn't even in production yet.
I emailed them, cancelled the order, and received a confirmation number for the refund. Two weeks later no refund.
I called them, cited the confirmation number, was put on hold for an eon, told the parts would be available soon, and eventually I received...drum roll...no refund.
I called the credit card company and protested the charge and...got an immediate refund...
AVOID CARID!!!
No lectures coming from me...I promise! I am so sorry that that you had such a cruddy experience as well! Sounds like CariD is heading down a very slippery slope. I am thrilled that your credit card company made it right for you. Here is hoping CariD will do the right thing. I promise to keep everyone posted!

DavidG

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I recently made my first and last purchase from CARiD but in the process learned a few things about them that could help others. First, they don’t actually have any inventory, everything is manufacturer direct and their website isn’t updated in real time. So if the manufacturer doesn’t have it available then CARiD doesn’t either.

My order was guaranteed in stock and would ship within 24h. Of course it didn’t and I was given an 8 week backorder timeframe. To make a long story short, after exhausting their chat and customer service phone options I filed a complaint through the Better Business Bureau. Within 24 hours I was talking to one of their customer service managers who contacted the factory and got the product expedited to me.

I had to hold my ground and be persistent but I did get through to them and did get a satisfactory solution. I’ll give them credit for making it right but won’t ever trust their order takers again.

To the OP, if your issue is legitimately their fault for incorrectly publishing the wrong fitment info and you have it documented then hold your ground with them and get them to take it back.

Sponsored

JLGuyFTLD

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Jeep Marketing
Only thing I can say to anybody in any case… When you purchase something to always take screen captures of verbiage being discussed whether it’s live chat or an email…

Typically on live chats I copied the entire live chat and email it to myself… In some cases it’ll ask you if you want a copy of the live chat emaied to you.

I feel in this case carID should be held responsible because you were not able to do the install and they told you it would fit… this is a veryDifferent type of situation outside the norm… I would really reach out to them and explain to them the timeline… If they want to keep their name in good faith I feel they would do something for you… Hopefully... Keep us posted if you can

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Honestly...with where you are now, I'd look at contacting ACE. They're generally pretty good folks...decent chance they'd help out, possibly exchange them for you.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Only thing I can say to anybody in any case… When you purchase something to always take screen captures of verbiage being discussed whether it’s live chat or an email…

Typically on live chats I copied the entire live chat and email it to myself… In some cases it’ll ask you if you want a copy of the live chat emaied to you.

I feel in this case carID should be held responsible because you were not able to do the install and they told you it would fit… this is a veryDifferent type of situation outside the norm… I would really reach out to them and explain to them the timeline… If they want to keep their name in good faith I feel they would do something for you… Hopefully... Keep us posted if you can
Yes, my email history is like a collection of paranoia for exactly that reason. I always have chat transcripts sent to me.

40smtng

First Name
Marge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (on order)
Originally tried to order the Ace Engineering Rock Sliders from Quadratec and they told us they no longer carry Ace Engineering products. We ordered directly through Ace Engineering and they were a pleasure to deal with! The sliders came sooner than we anticipated and we installed them right in the driveway with no issues. Install the middle bolt first and the rest is easy!

HRDRCK

First Name
Tashsa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon hard rock
Occupation
Dental professional
Purchased via Live Chat Ace Engineering Rock Sliders for my JLUR. The gentleman was nice, checked the specs on the sliders and assured me that they would fit the new JL Rubicon. Fast forward 5 weeks...Jeep dealership had to have a body shop fix my rear bolt as it was stripped at the factory so I finally get to install my sliders. NOPE! They don’t fit. And, I am outside the return window. While the delay due to the bolt is not CariD’s fault, the incorrect assurance that these were the correct sliders and they would fit the new JL is their responsibility. I suppose these are growing pains for this Jeep newbie, but hopefully, I can keep someone else from going down this path.
Wow, you actually got ACE sliders from them I ordered them six weeks later still not shipped they tell me they been discontinued but just to let you know, someone posted here if you contact ACE directly they will give you a discount For JLforums members

Sponsored

tntemerson

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TerranceEmerson.com
Vehicle(s)
1) Wrangler JLU, Mopar Lift, BFG 35's, Fuel Anza 558 wheels, Westin Bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch; 2) GMC 4x4 1/2 Ton Pickup, 350 V8, 5 Speed (scarce)
Purchased via Live Chat Ace Engineering Rock Sliders for my JLUR. The gentleman was nice, checked the specs on the sliders and assured me that they would fit the new JL Rubicon. Fast forward 5 weeks...Jeep dealership had to have a body shop fix my rear bolt as it was stripped at the factory so I finally get to install my sliders. NOPE! They don’t fit. And, I am outside the return window. While the delay due to the bolt is not CariD’s fault, the incorrect assurance that these were the correct sliders and they would fit the new JL is their responsibility. I suppose these are growing pains for this Jeep newbie, but hopefully, I can keep someone else from going down this path.
CARID is NOT on my good guy list. And I'm NOT prone to rant or make such statements without a real prompt. My rant on them here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/double-the-avoid-carid.12817/

I ordered TWO different products from them, INCLUDING a license plate holder and a pair of N-Fab Rock Rails, the latter THROUGH my local Jeep builder. After a month waiting on the rock rails, had my builder check. Manufacturer back ordered. I checked with N-Fab. They were indeed back ordered. But NO indication on the CARID site of any delay. You can STILL order them online. They just take your money and never, ever, even bother to notify you about ANYTHING until you finally get antsy and pressure them for an answer.

I don't know if I'll ever get the N-Fab rails, OR now after reading your post, IF they'll fit the JLU. After recommending them to my builder because they appear so reliable online, now I've risked my relationship with HIM if CARID fails us. He's not likely to take kindly to having to send them back because they don't fit, especially if he has to pressure them to resolve his financial liability for the order.

In your case, CARID SHOULD absolutely take the rails back if they didn't fit and you have any form of proof of their assurance that they would. Any truly reliable firm interested in customer satisfaction would just do it, even if the return period has passed. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T FIT AFTER THEIR ASSURANCE THEY WOULD. But when I went to CARID chat, they never even sent me the traditional email copy of the chat. I did cut and paste it, but I have no direct provable email confirmation. You may not either. Could be an "he said, she said" issue where they might just deny their mistake.

I cancelled the second order for a license plate holder when, after not informing me of unavailability, and after days of waiting for an ETA, ANY ETA, of a shipment date, they AGAIN told me the product was manufacturer back ordered. Again, I had to literally BEG them for an email confirmation of the cancellation, and will have to wait two more days for a fully provable transaction ID, AND 5-7 business days for a return of the cash I paid with PayPal.

I was offered a whopping $15 off, FROM MY NEXT PURCHASE WITH THEM, for my trouble, while I wait a month to get a plate holder I need to avoid the hassle of a California citation.

But barring some total new revelation, I'll NEVER, EVER attempt to do business again with CARID, so what's the point. They're in New Jersey (which should tell me something), suggesting a big East Coast high volume firm with deep pockets that doesn't feel much need to offer customer satisfaction. Might be "If you don't like us, too bad. Someone else will."

OP
OP
Lindag8r

Lindag8r

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist
RESOLVED!
Got an email with my return authorization for the ACE Engineering Rock Sliders! I composed a narrative of my situation and included copies of my confirmation email stating the sliders fit a Wrangler JL 4-door, the shipping email that showed the change in description of compatibility, and pictures showing the sliders were stored inside under proper conditions. I respectfully requested a refund and return postage as I ordered them via live chat through their designated agent in good faith. So, the sliders are all ready to return to CariD. Now, fingers crossed that the refund comes through quickly. Fortunately, I purchased them through PayPal so I have that venue if the refund is delayed. And, of course, I have all kinds of pictures of the return. I will update when the refund is issued.
Sponsored