Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Mic holder is just held with zip ties so I can remove it when not using
IMG_7683.JPG
IMG_7705.JPG
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG
How do you like the Midland CB? Since I don't have the AUX power, I like the fact it can be directly plugged into the 12v. Any user review/feedback is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
How do you like the Midland CB? Since I don't have the AUX power, I like the fact it can be directly plugged into the 12v. Any user review/feedback is much appreciated.
It works ok for a CB as a backup or if required for events, most of the group we go with all use a ham radio

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
It works ok for a CB as a backup or if required for events, most of the group we go with all use a ham radio
Thank you so much. I can see myself use it only a few times a year. Does it need to be turned with SWR meter beforehand?

ToddW

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-gray, 2015 F350CC, Bronco Ordered
Occupation
Design Engineer
Sits on dash. LOL.

A quick buy of a Cobra handheld before installing full deck.

radio on dash.jpg

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Thank you so much. I can see myself use it only a few times a year. Does it need to be turned with SWR meter beforehand?
the antenna does

Sponsored

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody install a grounding strap for the tailgate? I’m using the cool tech antenna mount and I just calibrated the swr at 1.7 at the low and high end. I’m using the uniden CB with a 3 “ Firestik II. (Soft top). What’s everyone else getting?

VA6SD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT, 2018 JLUR.
Occupation
Mechanic
Mic holder is just held with zip ties so I can remove it when not using
IMG_7683.JPG
IMG_7705.JPG
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG
Is your mic holder home made? If not can you let me know where you got it from.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Anybody install a grounding strap for the tailgate? I’m using the cool tech antenna mount and I just calibrated the swr at 1.7 at the low and high end. I’m using the uniden CB with a 3 “ Firestik II. (Soft top). What’s everyone else getting?
I am installing the same set up this week except I went with the 4’. I will let you know.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the cooltech 4' on the rear with a Uniden 570 CB. It works well, except when my hand covers the microphone hole! I have to retrain myself on how I hold the mic. Anyway, I had the Cooltech mount and decided I didn't like it. It raised it up a little, which was nice, but I didn't like how the cord interfered with the tuning knob and I didn't like it blocking the vent, even though functionally, it wasn't causing much interference. I moved it back to the flat spot next to the chicken bar and it works just fine while allowing me to use the tuning knob.

Ok, I know someone will ask...why do I use the tuning knob when there is a touch screen and buttons on the back of the wheel? I use it because it is much faster in going through songs on a playlist. And, I just prefer it. Habit, I guess.

vGGxhdo.jpg
7hzHh51.jpg
KM4iHcy.jpg

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Here is a video of me tuning my radio. I used a 4' Firefly and the Cobra 75. The complete Cool Tech all in one kit. I ended at 1.4 for both channel 1 and 40. No grounding strip. Were you 50' clear of all buildings, trees, power lines, cars, etc, when you did your reading? Also make sure your windows are rolled up, doors closed, and no one outside.

Sponsored

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase

Here is a video of me tuning my radio. I used a 4' Firefly and the Cobra 75. The complete Cool Tech all in one kit. I ended at 1.4 for both channel 1 and 40. No grounding strip. Were you 50' clear of all buildings, trees, power lines, cars, etc, when you did your reading? Also make sure your windows are rolled up, doors closed, and no one outside.
“Ish” I’ll prob need to wait for my next road trip to do it. Nothing really around here. But good to know that set up works without any tweaking. The only thing different is that I used to a 20 feet rg8 coax.

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
Any recommendations on a good location for a Uniden Pro520XL ? I see all these installs here have small boxes and controls built into the mics. The 520 has the controls on the box and a standard mic with just a key switch. Can’t for the life of me find a decent way/place to mount the thing...

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Got mine mounted thanks to all the help here. Here is my experience and $.02. The quality of the two kits is second to none. The mic mount was easy peezy. That center control panel does pull right off with a strong tug and clips are strong so nothing broke at all. I will agree with the above that the mic position is about 2 cm to far left so when you put the mic back the wire touches the sensitive tuner knob and changes the channel, no big deal.

Mounting the rear and running the wire took the most time. Following the instructions and videos all helps. The rear panel pops right off. I did want to run the cable through the wire “sleeve” so I used a coat hanger for that. The side panel took some convincing to remove as I have the sub woofer. For those with the sub, the panel and sub are all one piece. It just takes some muscle to pop off. Again no clips broken.

The last part was finding the aux wires. Those bastards are wrapped up completely in the fabric tape. I thought I would see the wire ends like all the pics. No luck. They were tucked way up to the right looking like all the other wire looms running to the fire wall. I did connect to the aux power wire and then there was an open ground post with nut right there for the ground. My unidentifiable unit then was double sided taped up to the left (forgot a pic)

ECBA1757-017B-4DB3-B153-34E5B59370AA.jpeg

1A2291F2-EA48-4E71-A5CB-2DD8124BC6D7.jpeg