Newbie: 2.5 inch spacer vs 2.5 lift kit...I have had both and

glenville

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
So forgive me guys, just learning....So my rubicon had 2.5 spacer lift that the dealer did, which I was not aware of....meaning I didn't know it was a spacer kit...took the vehicle in to my local performance shop, because I didn't like the way the vehicle was riding...just seemed a bit rough and stiff over bumps etc...this is when I learned it was a spacer kit and not a lift kit....so I said lets put on a 2.5 RK lift kit....I just thought it would ride better....and so why this is true, its not as jacked up as it was with the spacer kit, and I have to admit a part of me misses that elevation....I do plan to go to 35's in a few weeks, but I was wondering, is it better with clearance for the bigger tires with the spacers vs the lift kit?
Sponsored

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
How much did the dealer charge extra for that spacer lift and what brand was it? Just curious.

You can keep the lift and add smaller spacers to get the same height as before, with improved articulation and ride quality.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
So forgive me guys, just learning....So my rubicon had 2.5 spacer lift that the dealer did, which I was not aware of....meaning I didn't know it was a spacer kit...took the vehicle in to my local performance shop, because I didn't like the way the vehicle was riding...just seemed a bit rough and stiff over bumps etc...this is when I learned it was a spacer kit and not a lift kit....so I said lets put on a 2.5 RK lift kit....I just thought it would ride better....and so why this is true, its not as jacked up as it was with the spacer kit, and I have to admit a part of me misses that elevation....I do plan to go to 35's in a few weeks, but I was wondering, is it better with clearance for the bigger tires with the spacers vs the lift kit?
Which model RK lift are you running? Did you replace shocks or get extensions? Do you have a JLUR or 2-door?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised that the 2.5" Budget Lift (spacer lift) was higher than the 2.5 RK lift. What came with the RK lift? Coils and shocks? Typically if you do a full suspension (both coils and shocks and possible track bar and control arms) it will sit higher than a Budget lift of the same value.

For instance the 2" Mopar lift will give you above 2.5" of lift if you don't have a ton of weight like steel bumpers, winch etc...
The full suspension lifts typically give you a little more than what they say so you can load it back down.

A 2" Mopar lift on a stock JLU Sport sits pretty darn high.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW... my wife has a Sahara that we put stock Rubi rims and tires on it and I put a 2.5" Rough Country Budget lift. The RC budget lifts the front 2.5" to take the rake out and the rear 2". For $180 you can't go wrong. The ride is still good because it is the factory suspension. Obviously with ANY lift... you know it's lifted. You can feel the differences in steering, handling, etc... because there is a lift on it. Anyone who tries to tell you that their Jeep feels just like it did stock after they put a lift on it is lying to you.

Kevin8086 has a stock Rubi and runs the same lift and has done a TON of off roading with it and has had no problems.

Sponsored

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typically if you do a full suspension (both coils and shocks and possible track bar and control arms) it will sit higher than a Budget lift of the same value.

For instance the 2" Mopar lift will give you above 2.5" of lift if you don't have a ton of weight like steel bumpers, winch etc...
The full suspension lifts typically give you a little more than what they say so you can load it back down.

A 2" Mopar lift on a stock JLU Sport sits pretty darn high.
I think this not always a rule of thumb. The difference is a good amount of companies will advertise a lift as X inches, but the coils are much longer and not true to whatever is advertised. Im pretty sure this is the case with the Mopar. I belive it generally nets about 3” or so. Also you have to remember that the spring lengths of the Sport Sahara and Rubicon are different now. Rock Krawler lifts are supposed to be quite dead on to what they advertise in terms of net, this is the net on a Rubicon so it will be different on Sport and Saharas

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
True, you will net more on a Sport vs. a Rubi HOWEVER at the end of the day with all three models having the same exact lift on it they will all sit at the same height (assuming not weighted down with bumpers, etc...)

The Sport will feel much higher though because it netted more lift from what it was factory.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, you will net more on a Sport vs. a Rubi HOWEVER at the end of the day with all three models having the same exact lift on it they will all sit at the same height (assuming not weighted down with bumpers, etc...)

The Sport will feel much higher though because it netted more lift from what it was factory.
True given all other factors the same, the same lift on the different models will be the same height, but net will be different respective of the model. But to the last point I dont think it would be fair to fault the RK lift for being accurate to advertised height while others are netting over that.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is that a pure spacer lift just like a pure coil lift with no other components can negatively affect suspension geometry and therefore handling.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. This kit came with spacers, four sway bar links, shock extension brackets. I would assume a spring only lift would also include the above.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on the lift. Different companies seem to offer complete kits while other do not, possible for more modularity or maybe just to have a lower price point to appeal to novice who dont know better. Im not sure on the Unlimited's but I believe that with a 2.5" lift on a 2-door it is recommended to have a track bar relocation braket or longer track bar as well as lower control arms in addition to those components.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The longer sway bar links cover the sway bar issues. Even the high end lifts will include these, some budget lifts have a sway bar spacer which is pretty cheapo IMO. I've never hear of a longer sway bar.
It blows my mind that the Rubicon Express 2" budget lift is $400 and doesn't come with longer sway bar links, it drops the sway bar with a cheap spacer.
The RC budget lift is only $180 and comes with longer links.
I called RC about the lower control arms and they said not needed for the budget lift but you do need them when you start getting into the higher ones.
HOWEVER it is important to loosen ALL four control arms upfront while doing the lift and don't tighten them up until you are sitting back on the ground.

I happen to have a Rubicon suspension I bought and was going to put that on the Sahara but went with the budget instead. The Rubi sits about .75" higher than the Sahara stock. I looked at the control arms and sway bar links between the two and they are identical.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The longer sway bar links cover the sway bar issues. Even the high end lifts will include these, some budget lifts have a sway bar spacer which is pretty cheapo IMO. I've never hear of a longer sway bar.
It blows my mind that the Rubicon Express 2" budget lift is $400 and doesn't come with longer sway bar links, it drops the sway bar with a cheap spacer.
The RC budget lift is only $180 and comes with longer links.
I called RC about the lower control arms and they said not needed for the budget lift but you do need them when you start getting into the higher ones.
HOWEVER it is important to loosen ALL four control arms upfront while doing the lift and don't tighten them up until you are sitting back on the ground.

I happen to have a Rubicon suspension I bought and was going to put that on the Sahara but went with the budget instead. The Rubi sits about .75" higher than the Sahara stock. I looked at the control arms and sway bar links between the two and they are identical.
I meant track bars. I edited my post.