Sponsored

First Jeep. Whistling noise while driving.

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hi everyone. I recently purchased my first Jeep a 2018 JLU Sahara. I recently changed jobs and didn’t really need a truck any more so I traded my 2015 Ram 1500 Limited when this bad-boy caught my eye. It’s a really fun vehicle, but starting at around 30 mph there was a loud whistling sound from the windshield or roof area that was driving me nuts. The noise was even there with the freedom panels removed. I have a service appointment set up for a couple of weeks from now. In the meantime I was experimenting and I found that by using painters tape to seal around the windshield I can completely eliminate the whistling noise. I imagine a glass company will have to remove the glass, reseal, and reinstall. I just wanted to share my experience in case someone else is experiencing a similar issue.

5A33C78C-95CE-4907-B981-2DF2E3E0F58C.jpeg
Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Known issue. Several threads on this. Earlier production models seem more effected by this. Mine does not whistle.

deadphish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2017 Renegade
So is this something a dealer will actually fix? We have this, too. I thought it was our crossbars on the roof maybe, but this makes more sense.

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine just came in from the factory 2 weeks ago when I took delivery so I’m not sure if that is still considered early production or not? The dealer has assured me they will take care of it so when I get it back from them I will update this thread with the results. Hopefully it can be corrected permanently because that whistling really was too much to take. I could hear it over the radio and even over the wind noise with freedom panels off. Love this vehicle otherwise.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have a service appointment set up for a couple of weeks from now. In the meantime I was experimenting and I found that by using painters tape to seal around the windshield I can completely eliminate the whistling noise. I
Another advantage of the painter's tape , is the low-thieves will not steal your JL because they will think you repaired something .

However , the service dept. will have their own ideas on how to make the whistling even louder or screw it up another way , lol .

Sponsored

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
After having multiple JK windshields replaced and whistling noises. One thing you can do in the mean time is go to home depot and get https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...acker-Rod-for-Gaps-and-Joints-71506/100165680 Just tuck it around your entire windshield.. it will not be visible if you tuck it in far enough.. plus its waterproof! worked on mine for years. I may have used a slightly smaller size.. additionally not all windshields are created equal.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Had the same with my Tacoma. Some windshields don’t get set right and the slightest imperfection or sealant can make that whistle. Just have them pull it out and retrim it. Should be a warranty item.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Had the same with my Tacoma. Some windshields don’t get set right and the slightest imperfection or sealant can make that whistle. Just have them pull it out and retrim it. Should be a warranty item.
lemon law

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Keep taking it back to the dealer. You shouldn't have to put tape on a $40-50,000 vehicle to make it right.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Keep taking it back to the dealer. You shouldn't have to put tape on a $40-50,000 vehicle to make it right.
Silicone sealant works . Avoid the dealer whenever you can . My JK has 30K miles and NEVER was driven by a dealer , not even pre-delivery inspection . Therefore my windshield is fine with the silicone sealant ; dealer morons would have screwed it up .

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Silicone sealant works . Avoid the dealer whenever you can . My JK has 30K miles and NEVER was driven by a dealer , not even pre-delivery inspection . Therefore my windshield is fine with the silicone sealant ; dealer morons would have screwed it up .
No.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I just took delivery of mine a week ago. Mine has a "crackling" noise like radio static in the upper left corner where the A-pillar meets the door and top. I'm going to take it in soon.

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info everyone. I had it at the dealership today. They diagnosed it as a leak from the gasket that is around the windshield. Unfortunately the gasket is not available separately so the entire windshield will need to be replaced. Apparently this requires Special authorization from corporate office so they took photos and sent them to whoever has to approve the replacement. Once approved, they can order the new glass. Seems a little odd to me but whatever. Hopefully it will all work out.

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I heard from the dealership and corporate denied replacing the windshield. They want it removed and resealed. Dealership and glass company both confirmed that can’t be done because gasket is attached to windshield. Corporate still refused. Dealership is going to speak to their area rep and I called corporate and opened a case. I told them if they can’t/won’t fix a $50K vehicle with 1,200 miles on it they can have it back. I reported the problem to the dealer right after delivery.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Update: I heard from the dealership and corporate denied replacing the windshield. They want it removed and resealed. Dealership and glass company both confirmed that can’t be done because gasket is attached to windshield. Corporate still refused. Dealership is going to speak to their area rep and I called corporate and opened a case. I told them if they can’t/won’t fix a $50K vehicle with 1,200 miles on it they can have it back. I reported the problem to the dealer right after delivery.
Understandable concern . While waiting for a decision from fca , you will want to take it to a highly recommended windshield repair company in your area , for an inspection and written evaluation of the problem and repair . This will be a very valuable expert opinion while dealing with fca .
Sponsored