Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Hi everyone,

Just to get started, I am new to the forum and also a new JLUR owner. I have been looking at options for installed a CB and am curious what everyone is doing.

I have not made any decisions on what hardware or how to mount an antenna. I was hoping to get some ideas here and maybe see some pictures of how its mounted.

So...Show me what you got.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Mic holder is just held with zip ties so I can remove it when not using
IMG_7683.JPG
IMG_7705.JPG
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Really happy with my setup. Here is what I used:
Dash Mount: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/104-jl-mic-mount.html
Antenna Mount: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/109-jl-cb-antenna-kit.html
CB: https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-CMX76...ics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530662123&sr=1-8&keywords=cb

Only tweak is that I ordered a Cobra 75WXST bracket mount, as the Uniden comes with a cheap plastic one that doesn't fit in the Cool Tech dash mount. That was like an extra $5.

20180526_172445.jpg

20180602_180209.jpg

OP
OP
Fudgepoop

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
This is a clean setup. I need to look at these options for mic mounts. I may order the exact setup. Does the mic get in the way for the passengers?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Fudgepoop This setup doesn't get in the way of the passenger at all. The handset comes with a small box, which I mounted to an existing screw under the glove compartment box. It's also wired cleanly into the AUX power under there. Then the wiring to the antenna is run behind passenger kick panel (you have to take this off to ground the unit anyways) and then under the trim all the way back. The Uniden came with an extension cord for the hand unit, so I just played with that until I had the length right and zip tied the rest up to keep it from getting in the way.

@Goin2drt For the part, I ordered the replacement mount directly from Cobra. Its a little more expensive, but I wanted to make sure it worked with the CoolTech setup since I only had a week to get it installed before going offroad. https://www.cobra.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/250011n001

Here are some additional pics:

20180704_100228.jpg

20180704_100109.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
@Fudgepoop This setup doesn't get in the way of the passenger at all. The handset comes with a small box, which I mounted to an existing screw under the glove compartment box. It's also wired cleanly into the AUX power under there. Then the wiring to the antenna is run behind passenger kick panel (you have to take this off to ground the unit anyways) and then under the trim all the way back. The Uniden came with an extension cord for the hand unit, so I just played with that until I had the length right and zip tied the rest up to keep it from getting in the way.

@Goin2drt For the part, I ordered the replacement mount directly from Cobra. Its a little more expensive, but I wanted to make sure it worked with the CoolTech setup since I only had a week to get it installed before going offroad. https://www.cobra.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/250011n001

Here are some additional pics:

20180704_100228.jpg

20180704_100109.jpg
I'm piecing together something similar. Looks great. How long of a coax did you use? And I was wondering how the Uniden CB did for you?

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@aCeMedic13 The cooltech came with an 18 foot coax cable. The 18 foot was perfect for a JLU. Depending on how you route it (meaning a little more efficiently than I did mine), you might end up with an extra 3-6 inches.

I still need to tune it, but I had 0 problems with the Uniden on the hilly trail being the next to last in a group of about 10 jeeps. I don't think you can go wrong with this or the Cobra 75WXST.

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just finished installing the Uniden 560 CB in my JLUR. I used the Cooltech kit. I routed antenna cable through the rear tailgate (actually cut a hole in the grommet and ran cable through it; it was a pain in the butt to cut a hole in that thing). Then routed cable under the carpet/trim along the passenger side of the Jeep to the passenger front floor board. The cable goes along the right side of the footwell, across the very front of the footwell (way up under the dash), and then along the left side of the footwell against the center console. I mounted the transceiver on that raised area under the passenger seat, in between the seat rails. The seat still has room to slide forward and backwards and the box is out of sight, except when the seat is all the way back.

I have the Trailer Tow/HD electrical package and learned that there is actually six wires available when Jeep added the auxiliary wires. There are the four for the auxiliary switches, and then there is a red/white that goes directly to the batter, and a orange/pink that is wired through the ignition. Both of these colored wires are 10amp wires. I connected to the ignition wire so that when the ignition is turned off, the CB also turns off. I can run the CB in ACC, RUN, and ON modes of the ignition. I grounded the black wire to a bolt attached to the transmission tunnel. If you pull back the carpet that runs along the transmission tunnel/center console, you will see a bolt that has a 10mm head. I loosened that and attached the black ground wire to it and tightened the bolt back down.

I have not done the SWR test yet. I had to order a SWR tester and waiting on it.

With the Cooltech kit I got the 4' black Firestick antenna. Cooltech threw in a Firestick QD because the mic holder is made for the Cobra and not the Uniden. I hot glued the plastic holder that came with the Uniden to the metal frame of the mic holder. It seems to hold pretty well, so far. If it doesn't hold permanently I will order that metal clip mentioned elsewhere on this thread.

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Uniden fits well with the u bracket. Test fitted everything before I started wiring today. (Under glove)

AA981F3B-6B80-4BC7-9196-B4007193E5F9.jpeg

797E97A1-0C3B-40FB-9A10-890ACDECDC22.jpeg

F3E5A893-C93A-4865-AC8C-A06AAEE7A808.jpeg

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

This is a How To Video on the installation of this kit. I wired this up to the battery and ground bus bar, not the AUX switch.
Cool Tech LLC Jeep JL All-In-One CB Radio Kit with the Cobra 75 WXST / 4' Firestik FireFly Antenna.
I'll post a video on how to tune the Antenna with a SWR Meter tomorrow on my YouTube page.
Sponsored