Is the Active Safety Group worth it?

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yes, is worth it. Quirks? None. It's just doing its job. Makes backing up a breeze, especially in tight parking lots. Blind spot warning is really nice too. Like another poster said, I thought it was for lazy driving as well, but it really does make you more aware, especially if you have little ones who like to leave things like bicycles or toys laying in the driveway. My kiddos are grown but my wife likes to leave her gardening tools laying around in the garage. I backup to park in my garage and I can always see if I'm about to run over anything she left laying on the floor. I personally won't buy another vehicle without it. Another really neat feature is that you are able to view the rear backup camera at any time....parked or moving forward for a few seconds.
Agree with the content...but isn't the back-up camera provided in all wranglers as a government requirement now? I thought safety was side detection and audible back-up warning?
Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I asked if sending it in for an update would help, and they said the blind spot monitor systems very their radar frequencies and removing that range of signal would render the detector ineffective.
Is it a K band false, or KA band? I know its not optimal but the use of K band in my area is pretty minimal unless your in a small town, From what i can tell vast majority radar in use is KA band, or LIDAR. If you could disable K band you could at least have some protection....

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I have vehicles with blind spot monitoring and without. It is not a requirement but it is nice to have. The park assist features also are useful, especially on my crew cab truck. It is probably worth keeping in mind that any of any of the sensors in the bumper will be gone if you plan on replacing that, so it would most likely be wasted money in that situation. I'm sure someone will eventually engineer replacement parts to incorporate everything but it will be more expensive.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Is it a K band false, or KA band? I know its not optimal but the use of K band in my area is pretty minimal unless your in a small town, From what i can tell vast majority radar in use is KA band, or LIDAR. If you could disable K band you could at least have some protection....
My problem is I drive long trips from TX to VA, TN,CT,SC often (6-7 trips a year). I just dont want a false sense of security traveling across country.

The good thing is I'm usually towing a small RV which the jeep likes to tow at 60-65 mph so speeding isn't a thing anyways. Plus now that I'm back in a wrangler I dont feel the need to drive fast or like an a-hole. Its probably a good thing I'm not running a radar detector. In the super charged range rover sport v8 it was a different story.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
My problem is I drive long trips from TX to VA, TN,CT,SC often (6-7 trips a year). I just dont want a false sense of security traveling across country.

The good thing is I'm usually towing a small RV which the jeep likes to tow at 60-65 mph so speeding isn't a thing anyways. Plus now that I'm back in a wrangler I dont feel the need to drive fast or like an a-hole. Its probably a good thing I'm not running a radar detector. In the super charged range rover sport v8 it was a different story.
Gotcha, I was hoping to be able to help....Hopefully you can get it sorted out, or figure out a different unit to try.

Sponsored

sman1950

First Name
steve mangels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Porsche 911S, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't order the safety pkg. but there was a problem getting the Jeep I had ordered, so the dealership found one that had the safety pkg on it. I really like it. If you can afford it's a nice feature. I've already experienced the cross path detection beep and find it helpful

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Can you add this to JL on the dealer lot that doesn't have it?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Yes it it is worth it

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can you add this to JL on the dealer lot that doesn't have it?
@grady2hig
@smithrd65

Yes, you can but it will cost you quite a bit. While worth what it costs if you order as a factory install, it probably it is not worth it if you have to pay the dealer to set up a vehicle that does not have it.

You need different rear view mirrors, multiple sensors and have them installed, correct tail lights some additional wiring in the tail light region... and more. Also, a computer flash that costs $ to turn on the system. Could cost you quite a bit.

Note:
(TazerJL can turn it on though if you have a TazerJL)

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I like them. It does suck, however, that you get a 'BSM not available' message with the doors off. With the side mirrors gone, that's when you want BSM the most. Maybe someone will come up with a dummy plug for the connection in the kick panels that will keep BSM active when you remove the doors...could it be as simple as a jumper or resistor across a couple of pins?

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Now that I have 6 weeks of ownership under my belt I can say it's worth it, especially for the cross path detection. In my opinion, this should just be a standard feature. I can see it saving lives, just like the backup camera itself. Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM), on the other hand, underwhelms me on a 2 door. It's range is so short that it only warns you when a vehicle is right up next to you. I have this same feature on my Yukon XL (a.k.a. fancy Suburban) and it's essential. Not so essential on my 2dr Wrangler which barely has any blind spot to begin with.

Anyhow, no regrets and I'd buy it again just for the x-path feature. Crazy that it's not standard fare, though...

homebrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta (JL in the Plans)
I like them. It does suck, however, that you get a 'BSM not available' message with the doors off. With the side mirrors gone, that's when you want BSM the most. Maybe someone will come up with a dummy plug for the connection in the kick panels that will keep BSM active when you remove the doors...could it be as simple as a jumper or resistor across a couple of pins?
I know there are BSM sensors in the tail lights but are there any in the mirrors as well? Could this be why?

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I know there are BSM sensors in the tail lights but are there any in the mirrors as well? Could this be why?
I’m thinking it has something to do with the side mirror BSM indicators while the doors are off. Wish I had a pinout of that connector or schematic of the BSM....could turn out to be a simple mod to enable BSM with the doors off.

homebrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta (JL in the Plans)
I’m thinking it has something to do with the side mirror BSM indicators while the doors are off. Wish I had a pinout of that connector or schematic of the BSM....could turn out to be a simple mod to enable BSM with the doors off.
Ah yes the indicator. I don't currently have a JL so does the BSM system notify in any other way other than the indicator in the mirror? Generally with CANBUS systems if any piece of the system is missing or broken, the system itself will throw a code. Creating a dummy plug to add resistance to the BSM line in the door plug may be all that is needed.

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Ah yes the indicator. I don't currently have a JL so does the BSM system notify in any other way other than the indicator in the mirror? Generally with CANBUS systems if any piece of the system is missing or broken, the system itself will throw a code.
Nothing more than that I don’t think. If I remember correctly, there’s an audible alert if the BSM indicator is lit and you try to merge or use the turn signal but that shouldn’t have anything to do with the doors being off.

If it’s just due to an open circuit with the connector in the kick panel being disconnected, a dummy plug with a resistor, LED, jumper, etc may be all that’s needed to close the loop.
Sponsored